Backcountry areas in California?

Old December 29th 03, 11:29 PM
Richard Auletta

"John Lechmanik" wrote in message news:AtPFb.458351$275.1346244@attbi_s53...
I just recently got a set of Randonee gear (sorry Telemark fans) and I'm
dying to try it out in the backcountry (already hit the slopes with it). I
know there is lots of good stuff on the eastern side of the Sierras, but is
there any good stuff on the Western side? I live in the SF bay area. I was
hoping to find something that would be a good trip up and down and not just
a nordic trip (have basic X-country gear also).

http://www.thebackcountry.net in Tahoe and Truckee have a very nice
summary of BC places to go on their web page.

http://www.thebackcountry.net/backskiing/wheretogo.htm

I can't vouch for anything other than the web page. Found it when
it looked like a trip from San Jose to Tahoe was in the works.

-Rich Auletta
Old December 30th 03, 04:22 AM
John Lechmanik

Ah you skied up 120. That must have been interesting :-) How was the ski
back down the road? Looks like you guys had fun, and in March no less.
When do people start heading up there?

John

"Terry Morse" wrote in message
John Lechmanik wrote:

Tioga Pass Resort??? I don't think I even know what that is :-)

It's about 2 hours drive south of Tahoe, on the east side of the
Sierra. Here's their web site:

http://www.tiogapassresort.com/

You get a bed, showers, 3 meals, and as much terrain as you can
cover. The road's closed in Winter, so you have this huge area to
yourself. The lodge is at 9500'.

Some photos from a prior trip:

http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/trip/tpr0203/index.htm
--
terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/

Old December 30th 03, 04:26 AM
John Lechmanik

Thanks for the help. I finally got a avalanche beacon, so I'm dying to get
out. With all the rain/snow we are getting, it looks like it will get good
pretty soon! Bill I have your e-mail add, I'll get in touch. I'm new at AT
skiing (it will be interesting to put the skins on for the first time), but
was experienceded in Alpine and X-country so I expect to pick up the basics
quick :-)

--
John

To reply direct, "removeme" from my address

"William Maas" wrote in message
Hi all. I am a Randonee skier, live in Nevada City, CA--one hour from
Tahoe--and am (almost) always ready to ski at Castle Peak, Mt Judah area,
Silver Peak etc. Weekday/weekend. Skied Castle yesterday and the pow was
terrific--"hero snow." E-mail me for phone.

Bill Maas
[remove "remove" to reply]

Old December 30th 03, 04:50 PM
Terry Morse

John Lechmanik wrote:

Ah you skied up 120. That must have been interesting :-) How was the ski
back down the road? Looks like you guys had fun, and in March no less.
When do people start heading up there?

Skinning up Hwy 120 is just a walk -- it's only about 8% grade all
the way. The only tricky parts were climbing over the avalanche
debris that covered the road in a couple of spots. Skiing back down
was just a cruise, since it's not steep enough to go fast.

120 on a bike is a different story. I rode up and down that a couple
of times last June. With a tailwind, I hit 53 mph before my self
preservation instinct kicked in. Here are some June photos, just
after Tioga Pass Road was opened:

http://www.terrymorse.com/bike/tioga0306/index.html

A heat wave had melted most of the snow by then, but there still
were some patches above 10,000 feet.
--
terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/

best Scandinavian cross country areas? Mark Eastman Nordic Skiing 36 December 3rd 04 06:32 AM
Best areas for scenic skiing Sherwin Dubren Nordic Skiing 3 February 10th 04 02:15 AM
grey areas on base Griss Nordic Skiing 3 February 7th 04 08:55 PM
some areas opening Mark Eastman Nordic Skiing 0 November 14th 03 11:25 PM
XMas to New Year, where to ski out west? Least crowded areas? lal_truckee Alpine Skiing (moderated) 1 November 12th 03 03:57 PM