Gear recommendations?

Old April 17th 06, 03:38 AM

Marwes feel great on good, clean pavement, but like all hard-wheeled
skis, get tripped up too easily from road debris, pebbles, twigs, etc,
especially in the late pre-snow fall when leaves obscure the view and I
often have to ski after dark with a headlamp. I know the Aeros are
heavy, but I can still get a great ski-specific workout on them.
Yesterday I did 40 hilly Ks in 2 hours with tired legs from a run the
previous day, at a good overall training heart rate.

I think inline skates are almost always too fast, and can easily lead
to bad habits for skis. I'm curious, though. Has anyone developed
"clap" inline skates, like the long-track speedskates?

Randy

Old April 17th 06, 06:27 AM

schreef in bericht
ups.com...

I think inline skates are almost always too fast, and can easily lead
to bad habits for skis. I'm curious, though. Has anyone developed
"clap" inline skates, like the long-track speedskates?

They were the must-haves for some time, but were supposedly rejected by
racers as counter-productive on pavement. Still for sale in places if you
look carefully.
There are some rollerski-like skates out there with XC bindings, two wheels
really close to the boots. Shorter still than race rollerski's, and
obviously a lower boot height than with rollerblades where you stand on top
of the wheels. Claimed to be as fast as 4-wheelers, but I think it's safe to
say it will be a bit slower due to fewer wheels. Still to small wheels to be
practical and too fast on clean roads, I fear. It's a really short rollerski
after all.

Old April 19th 06, 02:18 PM

Jeff:

A couple things:

1) The V2 150 is the larger wheel ski. You can ski pretty much anything on
these skis. I have used them on rocky rec paths without major issues, and
downhills are not a problem with the speed reducers. If you need to worry
about hills, this is a really good ski. You can also have them fitted with
a brake. I can't comment on the brakes as I don't yet have them.

2) The V2 125 has had tire durability & flatting issues. They also do not
manage rough paths nearly as well as the 150s. I wouldn't recommend these
unless you are lightweight and/or are willing to risk getting flats for
reasons other than glass/nails. My SO owns these and they are a nice ski.
I went with the 150s though. I'm not sure if this issue has been resolved
over the last couple years but I wasn't willing to risk it. Jenex is very
closed about issues so you never really know what the status of issues such
as this are.

3) The Marwe's definitely feel nicer than the V2s. They are a slower ski,
which I prefer, as I feel like I tend to get a better workout on these.
They are also much lighter. They unfortunately AFAIK can't be fitted with
brakes or speed reducers. If you live in a hillly area this will definitely
limit where you ski. They seem to have a self-limiting top speed but this
speed is faster than I care to go. They are definitely a very nice ski
though.

4) Jamie (Nordic Skater) recommends that people use Profile bindings rather
than Pilot. I followed his recommendations with my V2 150s and am happy
with the results.

MOO,
Matt

"Jeff C" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm a competitive cyclist currently living in Texas, but I've lived in
Iowa and Canada, so I've had some experience with the xc skiing skate
technique. I was shocked to see a guy out with roller skis yesterday
while I was driving home! I thought I could get into that, so, after a
few hours of investigation, I'm most interested in a V2 Aero Skate
Package for $549 offered by www.nordicskater.com/rolpkg.html . I think
I'd get the V2 Aero 125SR skis with speed reducers, but pay their $30
surcharge to get Salomon Pilot bindings and Hartjes Pilot Pro boots.
Poles are also included in the package.

I have very little expectation of skiing again on snow any time soon,
so I'm not too, too worried about "actual feel", etc. (I read somewhere
that the smaller, solid wheels are supposed to give a more comparable
feel to snow than the pneumatic tires).
I don't think I'll be on dirt roads/trails, but I like the bigger,
offroad-type wheels on this model so that I won't have to worry so much
about cracks, pebbles, etc. in the road.

Is this brand/model, price okay for what I'm doing?

As a total newbie to the roller ski market, I would welcome feedback
from anyone who has time to give it! Thanks!

Old April 19th 06, 02:34 PM

This is certainly some good information from everyone. For the record,
I'm 145 lbs, so it sounds like I'd be under the weight limit for the
125's, but I'll review all of the suggestions before I decide which
combination to buy. Thanks again!

Old April 19th 06, 02:44 PM

"Matt" wrote :
2) The V2 125 has had tire durability & flatting issues.
My SO owns these and they are a nice ski.

Can't the 125's easily be fitted with larger wheels, isn't there a
pre-drilled set of holes for those? I just placed an order with Micro for a
bunch of 150mm tubeless air tires, ?14,50 each. Many alternatives out there,
next to of course the standard V2 150 wheels.

4) Jamie (Nordic Skater) recommends that people use Profile bindings

rather
than Pilot. I followed his recommendations with my V2 150s and am happy
with the results.

Somewhere I read a similar advise, but never with a really clear reasoning.
I seem to remember something to do with weight distribution?
And I'm going to first buy bindings and boots for rollerski's and only then
buy ski's with probable the same binding system, I'd love to hear why I
should stay away from Pilot. It seems to be the new world standard? Profile
stuff seems to be slightly more economical anyway, so if it's good enough to
(roller)ski even at current WC level, for it's good enough for me. Just hard
to learn what reason I'd have to go with either...

Happy trails,

Old April 19th 06, 03:42 PM

Jan,

I think you said in a previous post you were thinking of doing biathlon
too.

AFAIK biathletes almost all use NNN bindings and boots. I have heard it
said that there are problems with Salomon kit for shooting, but I
don't know if this is accurate.

Before you spend a lot of money on kit, I suggest that you should spend
some on getting some lessons, trying some kit out, and finding out what
is used by the people that you want to ski with, or to ski like. That
should help you have a better idea of what will help you achieve your
goals.

Alex

snip

Old April 19th 06, 04:04 PM

Thanks, helpful poitner that I can google around for. I'm afraid my size
48/13 shoes and tall body aren't going to help me try stuff for size before
buying. I bought my last ten bikes and all my (7 pair) of bike shoes sight
unseen, as no-one will stock it locally. Living in a snow-free country
doesn't help.

"Alex" schreef in bericht
oups.com...
Jan,

I think you said in a previous post you were thinking of doing biathlon
too.

AFAIK biathletes almost all use NNN bindings and boots. I have heard it
said that there are problems with Salomon kit for shooting, but I
don't know if this is accurate.

Before you spend a lot of money on kit, I suggest that you should spend
some on getting some lessons, trying some kit out, and finding out what
is used by the people that you want to ski with, or to ski like. That
should help you have a better idea of what will help you achieve your
goals.

Alex

snip

Old April 19th 06, 05:54 PM

Jan:

If you're going to fit the 125s with larger tires you may as well buy the
150s. There is no price difference if I remember correctly between the
125s/150s.

Jamie likes the Profile binding because the boot bumper is stiffer,
preventing some of the RS hang when you pick your foot up. The Pilot bumper
is softer so the ski tail will drop farther. With that said, it will only
drop so far because of the underfoot attachment. My Marwe's have Pilot
bindings but they are so light that the Pilot binding easily resists the
dropping of the ski. You may want to call Nordic Skater to talk with him
about this, just to reassure yourself.

MOO,
Matt

"Jan Gerrit Klok" wrote in message
.. .

Old April 20th 06, 01:14 PM

"Matt" schreef in bericht
If you're going to fit the 125s with larger tires you may as well buy the
150s. There is no price difference if I remember correctly between the
125s/150s.

Jamie likes the Profile binding because the boot bumper is stiffer,
preventing some of the RS hang when you pick your foot up. The Pilot

bumper
is softer so the ski tail will drop farther. With that said, it will only
drop so far because of the underfoot attachment. My Marwe's have Pilot
bindings but they are so light that the Pilot binding easily resists the
dropping of the ski. You may want to call Nordic Skater to talk with him
about this, just to reassure yourself.

Thanks Matt! Good things to consider, and makes me wonder what the point of
Pilot is then. To have easier pivoting, with a firm limit?
Regarding that tail drop. This already bugged me on the very first outing on
the crosskates, seems to be a weight distribution thing. At first I just
locked the heels with a bunch of zip-ties, and when I got more confident in
my skating I removed those, but only while adding a simple elastic band
between boot and frame, to aid the coil positioned in front of the nose. It
works like a charm, the amount of tail drop I get all comes from the toe
extension in my push-off, and I feel the clap about halfway the recovery.
Totally natural and confident feel, and I'm fast with it. The original coil
tension is probably perfected for classical striding.

Extremely low-tech a solution for what might just be techical deficit on my
part, but I've always been mending/tuning stuff with elastic bands. These
here are actually ones I bought on a 10m card, in the sowing shop. I bought
it originally for tiathlon shoe laces, actually, works awesome and fits
comfortably.
Hopefully more durable in the outdoors than the postman's elastic bands, as
it's supposed to survice multiple laundry cycles. It's a really gentle heel
tension I'm running, but seemingly good at getting the clap consistently
done in time.

About the weels, I meant to mention that only to offer as an option for your
SO to consider, next time new wheels are required. You could even try
different sizes front and rear, first on the front for better roll-over.
Supposing the 150's are heavier, the tail should already drop less just from
that as a nice side-effect?

Old April 24th 06, 03:38 AM

Jan:

The elastic band solution works well for me on my Aeros with brakes,
which adds to sag because of the added weight behind the boot.
Recommmended by Sten Fjeldheim, coach of Northern Michigan U. The
brake works well, too, so much so that I miss it when I switch to my
classics.

The Pilot binding can be stiffened up by placing a ball bearing in the
channel with the flexor spring, but I have no experience with that. I
use Profil bindings with my old non-Pilot boots and the stiffer 125
durometer bumper instead of the standard 115 durometer skate bumper.
Byt the way, I reason NNN is prefered for biathalon is because the
Pilot skate binding doesn't allow a good prone shooting position.

Randy