Photos of Iceland's Big Marathon: Fossavatnsgangan 29 apríl 2006

Old May 2nd 06, 01:37 AM

Default Photos of Iceland's Big Marathon: Fossavatnsgangan 29 apríl 2006

www.pallio.net/myndasafn.phtml?safn=33

Maybe some day this will become part of the Worldloppet.
It would require at least one variance to join that race series as I think
that the numbers of participants doesn't meet the standard.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old May 2nd 06, 03:23 AM

gary jacobson wrote:
www.pallio.net/myndasafn.phtml?safn=33

Maybe some day this will become part of the Worldloppet.
It would require at least one variance to join that race series as I think
that the numbers of participants doesn't meet the standard.

Dave Christopherson from Minneapolis, MN, USA did pretty well and so
did Mary Beth Tuttle, from St. Paul, MN, USA, winning the women's
title. It must have been fun schmoozing with the top name skiers that
were there.

Greg Fangel

Old May 3rd 06, 02:39 PM

it would be fun if this also became a Worldloppet race.
the number of participants must go up first.

Of all the pictures I found this to be the funniest one:
http://www.pallio.net/myndasafn.phtml?mynd=6129&safn=33

The Muster in New Zeeland should also be a Worldlopp race...

Old May 3rd 06, 09:32 PM

the first step towards becoming a WL race should be making an English
version of the web site.

Old May 4th 06, 01:52 AM

I've talked to some Worldloppet officials and it is possible to include
races that do not meet the standard for number of participants by some kind
of exception.

I think that the Kangaroo Hoppet got in with that variance.

And yes, the Muster is being considered I understand. Including it might
increase the numbers in the Kangaroo Hoppet as well.

Speaking of marathons, did you do the Skarverennet?

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

oups.com...

Old May 5th 06, 10:42 AM

I did Skarverennet last year but not this year.
http://www.turrennklubben.no/tur_skarverennet_2005.html
This years weather and snow conditions where just super excellent. Just
like last year.

As for New Zeeland and Iceland into Worldloppet.
The International Association of Worldloppet Skiers (IAWLS) emailed me
this about Merino Muster in the summer of 2005:
"Merino Muster is one of the future entries being considered for WL for
the obvious reason you mention about travel. We have discussed this
with Angelo Corradini. The addition would probably help Hoppet as well
but don't expect anything to happen for at least 2 years."
(Angelo is the Worldloppet Secretary General)

New Zeeland could be the next one but Iceland is way into the future
unless they get soft on the rules.

Some extracts from WL regulations:
* The total number of skiers participating in and completing the entire
distance of the main race must have exceeded 1,000 in each of at least
3 previous years. However, Worldloppet General Meeting may take well
founded exceptions, in order to promote cross-country skiing in that
special geographical region.
* The recording of the results must be done on a computer system.

Old May 6th 06, 11:31 AM

images from this years Skarverennet April 22nd 2006 are he
http://www.finse.com/images/220406/S.../Img_2779.html

38km freestyle