Fischer Outtabounds ok for lift serverd telemark?

Old November 23rd 04, 02:45 AM
gr

Default Fischer Outtabounds ok for lift serverd telemark?

I have a pair of Fischer Outtabounds Crown (with 3 pin telemark (not
cable) binding and a heavy pair of Karhu leather boots. (These are metal
edge skis with 88/68/78mm widths).
Are these reasonable to learn a telemark turn on a lift served downhill
area (probably on the green beginners slopes!)

For xc skiing, glide is kind of lousy in these skis, so if I trade them
in on something like the Fischer outbound crown (70/60/65) which EMS
says has fair glide, or Rossignol BC65AR (65/53//60) (EMS says good
glide) will either of these be suitable for telemark turns for a
beginner telemarker?
Thanks!!!
gr
Old November 23rd 04, 11:58 AM
BobT

"gr" wrote in message
I have a pair of Fischer Outtabounds Crown (with 3 pin telemark (not cable)
binding and a heavy pair of Karhu leather boots. (These are metal edge skis
with 88/68/78mm widths).
Are these reasonable to learn a telemark turn on a lift served downhill
area (probably on the green beginners slopes!)

For xc skiing, glide is kind of lousy in these skis, so if I trade them in
on something like the Fischer outbound crown (70/60/65) which EMS says has
fair glide, or Rossignol BC65AR (65/53//60) (EMS says good glide) will
either of these be suitable for telemark turns for a beginner telemarker?
Thanks!!!
gr

Yes they will be "ok" but newer fatter skis with more sidecut; beefier,
cable bindings; and plastic boots will make it much easier to learn. You
might try renting a time or two to explore your options.

BobT

Old November 23rd 04, 07:28 PM
Booker C. Bense

In article ,
gr wrote:
I have a pair of Fischer Outtabounds Crown (with 3 pin telemark (not
cable) binding and a heavy pair of Karhu leather boots. (These are metal
edge skis with 88/68/78mm widths).
Are these reasonable to learn a telemark turn on a lift served downhill
area (probably on the green beginners slopes!)

_ It's a lot easier to learn on heavier gear, but it's certainly
possible. Telemarking on a packed slope vs telemarking in softer
snow are two very different things. You'll need to get fairly
expert to take that gear anywhere but the green slopes.

_ My suggestion would be to keep those excellent skis and put
a pair of cable bindings on a used pair of shaped alpine skis.
Once you've used these to get the basics of telemarking down,
you'll have much more fun on the Outtabounds.

For xc skiing, glide is kind of lousy in these skis, so if I trade them
in on something like the Fischer outbound crown (70/60/65) which EMS
says has fair glide, or Rossignol BC65AR (65/53//60) (EMS says good
glide) will either of these be suitable for telemark turns for a
beginner telemarker?

_ The skinnier you go the more difficult the learning curve, also
these skis are more of a double cambered ski than the
Outtabounds, so they will be harder to turn. Skiing hardpack
on either of those skis won't be much fun.

_ There is no free lunch, you have to decide what compromise in
turning vs touring you will be happiest with. IMHO, the skis you
have right now are close to best compromise currently available
if you do some off track skiing. I would spend the time to learn
their limitations before spending any more cash.

_ While the skinnier skis might be slightly better gliding,
they're still waxless. Try hot waxing the skis you already have
with a universal alpine glide wax. Wax the whole ski and use a
soft brass/nylon brush to get the wax out of the no wax base. If
you don't want to do that try Zardoz NotWax. Even the best
prepared waxless ski is going to feel fairly dog-like compared
to the right wax in good conditions. If glide is important
go with a waxable version if your local conditions make waxing
a reasonable choice.

_ Booker C. Bense

Old November 29th 04, 06:09 PM
pinnah

gr wrote:

I have a pair of Fischer Outtabounds Crown (with 3 pin telemark (not
cable) binding and a heavy pair of Karhu leather boots. (These are metal
edge skis with 88/68/78mm widths).
Are these reasonable to learn a telemark turn on a lift served downhill
area (probably on the green beginners slopes!)

For xc skiing, glide is kind of lousy in these skis, so if I trade them
in on something like the Fischer outbound crown (70/60/65) which EMS
says has fair glide, or Rossignol BC65AR (65/53//60) (EMS says good
glide) will either of these be suitable for telemark turns for a
beginner telemarker?

gr,

IMO, it is asking too much for a ski to be good at both striding and
good for learning the tele turn on eastern hardpack. If your dollars
are short, I would suggest 1 of 2 approaches. One, put your money on
the rig that will allow you the most snow time. If that means xc
skiing at the golf course around the corner from your house, go with
skinny skis. Then rent or borrow for learning tele. Another approach
is to get a middle of the road boot and then get 2 pairs of cheap used
skis: one for xc type skiing and another for lift served.

Regarding the skis you mentioned, I would classify the Outbounds and
BC65ARs as compact skis and the Outtabounds as a classic AT profiled
ski. For my thoughts on these types of skis compared to the other
common types of nordic backcountry skis, see:
http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/Dirt...r/bc-skis.html

If this page is "too much information", you might prefer to start
here instead:
http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/Dirt...ick-picks.html

In terms of using any of these skis at eastern ski areas, be aware of
2 things. First, all of the skis you've mentioned have either a lot of
a good amount of camber. While that makes for better touring, this
will interfere with edge grip on piste.

Second, frequent use of waxless skis on groomed man-made snow
at downhill areas can hammer the scales. That snow is very abrasive.
I second Booker's suggestion to find some cheap waxable flat cambered
skis (soft flexing beginners alpine skis work) for lift served