TR - Tremblant Apr 6-12 2007

Old April 16th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Default TR - Tremblant Apr 6-12 2007

Well, you win some and you lose some. My early season trips this year
were somewhat of a bust, but last week at Tremblant was clearly a home
run. When Tremblant is good, it is very very good.

55cm of new snow fell in the two days before we arrived and in the first
two days of the trip. Real winter the first couple of days (7 degrees F
in the morning) followed by spring skiing later in the week. You
couldn't ask for better conditions. Food was excellent, and late season
condo rates came in at $80/night for walk to the lifts / ski-in
accommodations (although I have to say that it wasn't until the last day
that I found the trail back to the condo, and the spring conditions made
it a bit on the rocky side).

This year's Phineas Fogg award for crazed ski trip travel goes to my
friend's nephew who joined us for the trip - he actually flew from
Denver to Detroit, and then drove with us to Tremblant. This makes some
of my crazed trips seem like a little jaunt to Trashmore after work.
He's just graduated college and has been skiing since he was a toddler,
but only in the west, nothing east of A Basin. So for his very first
trip to the east we wanted to show him what Eastern Firm (TM) was all
about. Instead, he was off in the trees finding powder stashes before
we knew it. Bastid.

(We did get some good firm stuff late in the week in the AM after the
slush refroze, but no classic "see a fish through it" terrain.)

Great trip. Now the skis are off to the shop for some base repair
(spring == rocks) before being put away for the year, and you'll find me
on the lake. Elapsed time between skiing and sailing season: 3 days.

//Walt
//
// Only 228.315509259259 days until ski season!

Old April 17th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Two Buddha

What a ridiculous, ludicrous, laughable exercise in ego gratification from a
pathological liar, child molester, dickless freak, drunk, and thief, not to
mention convicted felon.

Fair is fair.
**** yourself, Walt. Enjoy.

This mailbox protected from unsolicited email by Spam Alarm
from Dignity Software http://www.dignitysoftware.com

Old April 17th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Steven Slaby

Consider Le Massif next time you are looking for a late season trip in
Quebec. I was there over the easter weekend and they had recevied 93cm of
fresh snow wherease Tremblant had recevied approx. 30cm in the same time
period.

Just be sure to check that they are still open when you book. Unfortunately
they closed early, not due to a lack of snow, but due to a lack of people
on the hills. I booked the weekend 5 hours before we hopped in the car and
some of the hotels I spoke with were 70% empty so I had lots of
accomodation options.

Check out the pics for the lack of people on the hills/lifts.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ottawaw...789298/detail/

This was my best trip of the year, and that included a week in Utah
checking out all the mountains while staying in SLC. Spring much most of
the week with poor coverage and Eastern Firm (tm) one day.

Steve.

Old April 17th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Steven Slaby wrote:
Consider Le Massif next time you are looking for a late season trip in
Quebec. I was there over the easter weekend and they had recevied 93cm of
fresh snow wherease Tremblant had recevied approx. 30cm in the same time
period.

I've heard very good things about Le Massif, and the atmosphere around
Quebec City in general. Since QC is only about an hour or two farther
to drive than Tremblant, it's a viable option.

BTW The official number for Tremblant was 55cm for the Wed-Sun period,
but your 30cm figure may be more accurate.

Just be sure to check that they are still open when you book. Unfortunately
they closed early, not due to a lack of snow, but due to a lack of people
on the hills. I booked the weekend 5 hours before we hopped in the car and
some of the hotels I spoke with were 70% empty so I had lots of
accomodation options.

Yep. That's more or less how we did it - we put the dates on the
calendar and waited until the day before departure to decide where to go
and to book accommodations. So it's not really luck that we hit the
good snow - more of a matter of positioning oneself to take advantage of
luck should it present itself.

//Walt
Old April 17th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Steven Slaby

Walt ) writes:
BTW The official number for Tremblant was 55cm for the Wed-Sun period,
but your 30cm figure may be more accurate.

I was comparing the Tuesday - Thursday timeframe since I was on the slopes
friday morning. Le Massif even beat out Jay Peak (which was my second
choice). Of course Le Massif is now closed by Jay just keeps getting
dumped on. Maybe another weekend trip is in order!

A friend of mine went the Tremblant instead and hiked up the Edge and was
playing in the powder on his tele skis and said it was great!

Steve.