TR: Final

Old April 4th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bumpfreaq

Default TR: Final

On Apr 4, 11:31 am, Walt wrote:
bumpfreaq wrote:
On Apr 3, 9:53 pm, Walt wrote:
bumpfreaq wrote:
Sounds like we need to do a full debrief in meatspace over a couple of
appropriate beverages while the memory of the season is still fresh.

Sounds cool. What's your fave watering hole around here?

I don't really have one. At one point it would have been the Old Town
or the Earle, but now that I think about it, I don't think I've been to
either in years. Usually I just raid the sacred beer vault and sit by
the fire or on the deck according to the weather. I guess anywhere
downtown would work for the debrief. Or maybe Zingerman's Roadhouse.

We can coordinate when I'm back from the road trip.

The Earle, the Roadhouse or maybe Casey's? They all work well for
me. The Earle probably works best because I can walk around downtown
and wear off my buzz before the drive home.

Are you planning to go past Easter weekend? How far do you have to go
to find snow..... er..... I can probably guess.

Doh, Searchmont is down for the season.... so where?

Looks like Tremblant. ~11 hour drive, not too expensive this time of
year...we leave Friday Morning. 5 days of skiing, then I'll put the
boards away for a few months.

That sounds great.... the skiing part, not the putting the boards away
part.... I've never been to Tremblant, I thought it was a longer
drive than that. Maybe I'll reconsider next year's Boho plans.

Let me know when you get back.

Chris

//Walt

Old April 4th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

bumpfreaq wrote:

The Earle, the Roadhouse or maybe Casey's? They all work well for
me. The Earle probably works best because I can walk around downtown
and wear off my buzz before the drive home.

Downtown works best for me because I can just walk home, buzz intact.
If the weather cooperates, an outdoor table would be my choice, which
would leave out the Earle. We'll figure it out as the time comes.

//Walt

Old April 5th 07, 09:21 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bumpfreaq

On Apr 4, 11:31 am, Walt wrote:
bumpfreaq wrote:
On Apr 3, 9:53 pm, Walt wrote:
bumpfreaq wrote:
[...]

Looks like you could be hitting the weather just about right. Hope
you have a great time, do a bump run for me.

Chris

Old April 5th 07, 01:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

bumpfreaq wrote:
On Apr 4, 11:31 am, Walt wrote:
bumpfreaq wrote:
On Apr 3, 9:53 pm, Walt wrote:
bumpfreaq wrote:
[...]

Uhm, Walt,
We just had a foot of new, not sticky, snow
last night. It's the kind that covers up the rocks
quite well. AND: there is no warm weather forecast
for at least the next week. In fact flurries every
day.

Eastern skiing woke up on Valentine's day this year.
And then it snowed again on St. Patty's day.
Now an April fool snow, better than usual.
Old April 9th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bdubya

On 2 Apr 2007 17:45:34 -0700, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Apr 1, 2:19 pm, "bumpfreaq" wrote:
This is the way my week ends, this is the way my trip ends, this is
the way my season ends with a bang not with a whimper.

-T.S. Bumpfreaq

Had more fun in the spring time sun until Saturday at Winter Park when
it started to snow..... hard, despite temps near 40 at the base. The
snow was of course wet but not as wet as I would have expected. It
was coming down close to two inches an hour and made the turns buttery
soft. After two hours my goggles were soaked, clogged and refused to
clear up. Luckily I had another pair but unfortunately only one more
pair. They lasted nearly another two hours by which time I was
drenched and ready for some Hot Sulfur Springs. Sunday was back to
blue skies and bright sun although not as warm as days past. The
Timberline lift opened for the first time that weekend so it was big
fun in a foot or more of new. A great day to end my good times with.

I thought this was amusing... The last week or so of the trip I felt
like my back might go out at any time so I stuck a little stainless
steel stash cylinder containing a bunch of ibuprofen and a couple of
vicodin in my pants pocket. I didn't have the need to open it until
the ride home but at some point it must have become self aware because
for no particular reason I fell and my left thigh would have come into
fairly hard contact with one of the only firm spots on the mountain.
Would have, except that the 1" tall by 1.5" diameter cylinder was
directly between my leg and the icy spot. "No pain for me to kill?
Well here's some pain for ya," the pills seemed to say. Now I have a
bruise on my leg that is about the size and color of a small ripe
plum.

The ride back home was uneventful except for the temps in the high 70s
and the thousands of geese flying south over central Nebraska. Now my
snow tires are stacked neatly in the garage, my skis are encased in
their summer wax and skiing 2007 is but a fond memory.

Thanks to everyone who read or responded to these silly meanderings.
Shall we do it again next year?

Later,
Chris

Geese flying south????? Maybe you hit more than your leg when you
fell. I've got as trip from IL to CO planned for the day after Easter
if the snow at Breck and Keystone holds out.

Steamboat was tolerable as of Friday. But Baheemya got three feet+
last week.

bw
Old April 9th 07, 08:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bumpfreaq

wrote:
[...]

Yeah, they had been closed for a couple of weeks. Cool that they
reopened, this must have been a terrible year financially for them.
Hopefully they have a great snow year in '07-'08 to make up for it.

Did you make it to Silverton? How was that?

Chris

Old April 11th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bdubya

Default TR in brief (was TR: Final)

On 9 Apr 2007 01:35:30 -0700, "bumpfreaq" wrote:

Yeah, they had been closed for a couple of weeks. Cool that they
reopened, this must have been a terrible year financially for them.
Hopefully they have a great snow year in '07-'08 to make up for it.

Did you make it to Silverton? How was that?

The skiing was outstanding. The hiking was a serious limiting factor;
five days at some sort of altitude helped, but still wasn't quite
enough to keep us from gasping. On top of which, some of the people
we were grouped with had summit ambitions that we clearly weren't up
to, so we sat out a round (they didn't make it, as it happens, but got
farther than they would have if we had come along). Still, the snow
was about knee-deep, untracked and abundant; we didn't get a lot of
turns in, but those we got were great.

Other skiing stops were

Taos. Didn't get to ski with Bob Lee, unfortunately, but had a great
day of sunny spring conditions. Very cool hill.

Durango, still more properly called Purgatory: It was all frozen
corduroy and bumps which never softened up, but about five inches came
down over the day, so by early afternoon it was at least entertaining
to ski. Not a hill I'd go back to unless I was saddked with a brood
of toddlers; a few fun glades, but mostly cruisers. Like skiing the
midwest with more vertical, and farther to skate when skating is
called for.

Steamboat: Nice spring conditions, and somewhat more ungroomed to be
found than Durango. But crowded with families, beginners and
intermediates, and the main topic of conversation on the lifts seemed
to be real estate. And a freaking $79 lift ticket in spite of the
advanced spring conditions.

Aside from that, we did some great motor-touring and a little hiking
here and there, but that's all OT...

bw