Intrawest and Vail pass increases

Old April 7th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo

Default Intrawest and Vail pass increases

On Apr 6, 9:06 pm, VtSkier wrote:
Sven Golly wrote:
lal_truckee wrote in news:OhDRh.1618$zC.141
@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net:

A-Basin is a nice skier's mountain; I prefer it to the other Summit Co
attractions. Therefore it won't be long before they improve it to
death

Retrogrouch only goes so far. A is good for one or two days skiing. Then
Breck & Copper blow it away.

LAL, Retrogrouch? bet there will be a rebuttal here.

Actually I'll be skiing tomorrow, at Killington, in
mid-winter conditions (yet again). The slow-starting
season actually hasn't been too bad. No snow 'til
Valentines day and now 21" since Wednesday, and cold
too. Well, below freezing anyway. Still need the
parka, or as we call our uniform at K, the paper-thin
shell.

LOL. Hmmmmmmmm...let's see here. "Mid winter conditions" IN
VERMONT?????? I'll pass.

21" in 3 days?????
Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a.................

Oh..sorry..just kidding..have fun.

I don't even ski anymore. Been there, done that.

Old April 7th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

pigo wrote:
On Apr 6, 9:06 pm, VtSkier wrote:
Sven Golly wrote:
[...]

Hey, we'll take what we can get. 25 degrees? for a week
or more? in April? Yeah, we'll take it, even if it is
shudder groomed.
Old April 7th 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo

On Apr 6, 9:42 pm, VtSkier wrote:
pigo wrote:
On Apr 6, 9:06 pm, VtSkier wrote:
Sven Golly wrote:
[...]

shudder groomed.- Hide quoted text -

Just joshin' ya. Have Fun!!!

It was almost 80 here yesterday. I mowed the lawn for the first time,
poisoned the weeds and tried to prep a bit for a long hot summer!
Whoooooda thunkit?

Old April 7th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

VtSkier wrote:
Sven Golly wrote:
lal_truckee wrote in news:OhDRh.1618$zC.141
@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net:

A-Basin is a nice skier's mountain; I prefer it to the other Summit
Co attractions. Therefore it won't be long before they improve it to
death

Retrogrouch only goes so far. A is good for one or two days skiing.
Then Breck & Copper blow it away.

LAL, Retrogrouch? bet there will be a rebuttal here.

Haven't got time for the full monte rebut - gotta get out there to make
the morning hikes - snow stake is below 100 inches again; it's the
beginning of the end.

Actually I'll be skiing tomorrow, at Killington, in
mid-winter conditions (yet again). The slow-starting
season actually hasn't been too bad. No snow 'til
Valentines day and now 21" since Wednesday, and cold
too. Well, below freezing anyway.

Good on ya.

Still need the
parka, or as we call our uniform at K, the paper-thin
shell.

Don't they issue different gear for different conditions?
Old April 8th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mary Malmros

"bumpfreaq" wrote in news:1175793879.872883.18500
@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

I'm sure Intrawest and Vailco were just itching to end their price
war. Anybody think this increase was a cooperative effort?

Cooperative? I doubt it. But there are things going on in the industry
that are no doubt playing a role, primarily the dissolution of ASC. It's
impossible to make an apples-to-apples comparison because the offerings for
'07-'08 will be different: Intrawest now has Steamboat in its quiver, while
Mount Snow has just announced something called a Nor'Easter Pass that I
don't see being hugely successful (they are bringing back the midweek pass
though, which is cool). Killington hasn't announced theirs yet, so we
shall see.
Old April 8th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

lal_truckee wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
Sven Golly wrote:
lal_truckee wrote in news:OhDRh.1618$zC.141
@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net:

A-Basin is a nice skier's mountain; I prefer it to the other Summit
Co attractions. Therefore it won't be long before they improve it to
death

Retrogrouch only goes so far. A is good for one or two days skiing.
Then Breck & Copper blow it away.

LAL, Retrogrouch? bet there will be a rebuttal here.

Haven't got time for the full monte rebut - gotta get out there to make
the morning hikes - snow stake is below 100 inches again; it's the
beginning of the end.

Actually we expect a typical warming soon, though it
hasn't hit yet, it will. Get it while you can.

Actually I'll be skiing tomorrow, at Killington, in
mid-winter conditions (yet again). The slow-starting
season actually hasn't been too bad. No snow 'til
Valentines day and now 21" since Wednesday, and cold
too. Well, below freezing anyway.

Good on ya.

And it was spectacular. Blue sky, under 30 degrees, fast snow
great skis, good friends, my old friend Jeannie showed up who
is on the injured list from effects of concussion and always
needs a partner to ski with but who skis very well and a great
match for my style. We had a ball chasing each other around the
mountain.

Still need the
parka, or as we call our uniform at K, the paper-thin
shell.

Don't they issue different gear for different conditions?

No, you supply your own layers.

And now for another subject, we hear that Alpine has been sold.
To the owner (a one man corporation) of Homewood. How does that
sit with the locals?
Old April 8th 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

VtSkier wrote:

And now for another subject, we hear that Alpine has been sold.
To the owner (a one man corporation) of Homewood. How does that
sit with the locals?

(Still in escrow for "due diligence", I believe, for another couple of
weeks.)

Sale inspires local hopefulness. The general feeling is it has to be an
improvement even knowing nothing much about the new owners, which is
mostly a reaction against how screwy and inept the Powdr Corp management
was. I don't know much about the Homewood owners except that no one
seems ****ed at them the way the whole lake is ****ed at Powdr.

Old April 8th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

What practices put people ****ed at Powdr?

Old April 9th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Sam Seiber

Chris in Hopkins, MN wrote:

I dunno I always think it's kind of funny when locals bitch that they
have to pay the same amount to ski for a whole season as tourists pay
to ski about a week.

OK, now for my 2 cents. This year, my Loveland pass went to $278. The
last two seasons were $243. Before that $234. Even the $278 is cheap
in my book. But I note the Loveland pass increase to add context to
this thread. It looks like the CO ski areas have finally decided to
hit us with a bigger bump than we have seen in the past. Our prices
are still killer. If they would have bumped it even more, the traffic
in I-70 might get to be a bit better.

I already picked up my 07/08 Loveland season pass. So again like last
year, I am pass holder 0005. God I love a low number. Also, it gets
me 3 days at Monarch. So, even tho the price went up, I also get a
little more value out of it as well.

Hey, anyone notice how the snow has returned to central CO, just as
all but a few ski areas will be closed next Monday? I love Loveland
when she is all soft and white.

Sam "I am in no way bitchin about pass prices in CO" Seiber