Ski Construction

Old April 8th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Ron - NY

Default Ski Construction

I'm curious what opinions I will get on this subject . If I ski about 1/2
the time in moguls and the other half cruising , would I want a ski that has
a mainly wood core or one with a metal layer ? Is this too simplistic a
question ? From what I can gather when looking into buying an all mountain
ski , a ski with a metal layer seems better at high speed than at flexing
through moguls , and a ski with no metal layer seems better suited for
moguls .Yes I'm sure you will all point out exceptions , but generally
speaking is this correct and which type of construction would you want if
navigating through moguls was important to you ?
Ron

Old April 9th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Andrew

On Apr 7, 8:15 pm, "Ron - NY" wrote:
I'm curious what opinions I will get on this subject . If I ski about 1/2
the time in moguls and the other half cruising , would I want a ski that has
a mainly wood core or one with a metal layer ? Is this too simplistic a
question ? From what I can gather when looking into buying an all mountain
ski , a ski with a metal layer seems better at high speed than at flexing
through moguls , and a ski with no metal layer seems better suited for
moguls .Yes I'm sure you will all point out exceptions , but generally
speaking is this correct and which type of construction would you want if
navigating through moguls was important to you ?
Ron

Purpose-built mogul skis have a reputation for being very stiff, but
short and narrow. Of course, the competitive mogul skiers they're
designed for are going very fast, and putting a lot of force into
their skis, so they probably still get a fair amount of flex in
practice. That being said, K2's Cabrawler has a wood core, no metal,
and a pretty good reputation. The link below is a review of
Dynastar's mogul ski.

http://outside.away.com/outside/maga...11review6.html

How do you do moguls? If you're a zipper-line kind of guy, or think
you want to be, a mogul or slalom ski would be good. On the other
hand, you're asking about an all-mountain ski, which isn't usually the
weapon-of-choice for advanced on-piste skiers. Not that I don't love
my Rossi Bandit B2s. They're a softer ski, and if the way you do
moguls is a little sloppy, or the moguls you tend to be on are a
little sloppy, it's nice to have more options about how to tackle
them. With a stiffer ski, you need to be a better mogul skier.

With all the different kinds of construction out there, getting hung
up on the presence or absence of metal in a non-racing ski seems a bit
silly. I'd say just demo some mogul and slalom skis and see what you
like.

Old April 9th 07, 11:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Ron - NY

thanks for the reply , I guess I'm looking for an all mountain ski that
leans towards being good in moguls but won't chatter too much on the
straights without going with a purpose built mogul ski . I'm at the point
now where I can navigate a decent zipper line but I'm still fine tuning my
technique but I'm getting closer each time out . I guess I'm going to have
to demo even though I would prefer to just buy . thanx for the tips though
Ron
"Andrew" wrote in message
ups.com...