what kind of board should i get? ;)

Old November 8th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jw[_2_]

Default what kind of board should i get? ;)

In article ,
Neil Gendzwill wrote:

jw wrote:
Most recently, I am riding a Santa Cruz 164 wide
board, even with only size 9 feet.

I find it weird that 164 is about the longest you can find in the shop
these days. My main ride is a Coiler AM 172, and if conditions are soft
I'll be on my Rad-Air Tanker 200.

Neil

I haven't shopped for a board in a few years. I'll be checking the local
places this year for possible new boots and a jacket or pants.
Surprising about the length. Are you in UK, as I recall? I'll report
what I find here.

btw, you have some long, long boards! My skis, when I used to race skis,
were 195cm (as I said, I'm 5'9" and 150lbs...no time for conversion to
centimeters and stones or whatever now, sorry). Those things must cruise!

-jw
Old November 8th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

On Nov 7, 9:03 am, Neil Gendzwill wrote:
jw wrote:
Most recently, I am riding a Santa Cruz 164 wide
board, even with only size 9 feet.

I find it weird that 164 is about the longest you can find in the shop
these days. My main ride is a Coiler AM 172, and if conditions are soft
I'll be on my Rad-Air Tanker 200.

Those are monstrous by local (Pennsylvania) standards. My board is a
162W, and it's usually about the biggest I see around here on the
slopes; often feels really long in the crowded lift lines. Shops carry
bigger boards, but I'm not sure who buys them. Of course, there are
reasons for the tilt toward the small:
* little or no powder to worry about
* apparent preference for park vs. freeriding
* more kids/teens riding than fully grown adults

Naturally, our season hasn't started yet, so I'm referring to years
past.

Joe Ramirez

Old November 8th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

jw wrote:

I haven't shopped for a board in a few years. I'll be checking the local
places this year for possible new boots and a jacket or pants.
Surprising about the length. Are you in UK, as I recall? I'll report
what I find here.

I'm from West Canuckistan, and ride mostly in the Banff area.

btw, you have some long, long boards! My skis, when I used to race skis,
were 195cm (as I said, I'm 5'9" and 150lbs...no time for conversion to
centimeters and stones or whatever now, sorry). Those things must cruise!

172 is relatively short by alpine standards - most guys are riding into
the 180s and some in the 190s. The shortest alpine board I know of
suitable for adult men is the Madd 158, but it's more of a beast than
many longer boards.

As for my Tanker - 200 is pretty long, but the Tankers are a special
case. My Tanker weighs the same as my Coiler, is just as easy to turn
on the groomed, and carves nearly as well in soft conditions. They're
amazing boards.

Neil
Old November 9th 07, 09:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jw[_2_]

In article ,
Neil Gendzwill wrote:

jw wrote:

I haven't shopped for a board in a few years. I'll be checking the local
places this year for possible new boots and a jacket or pants.
Surprising about the length. Are you in UK, as I recall? I'll report
what I find here.

I'm from West Canuckistan, and ride mostly in the Banff area.

Ah yes, I'm sure I knew that at one point. Please forgive the mental
lapse. Besides, you Canucks and the Brits both spell colour and legalise
wrong, and use this new-fangled thing called the "metric system." I
mean...I'm hundreds of kilometres from the border, and at only 50metres
abovee sea level here on the coast. But it's my favourite place in the
world!.

btw, you have some long, long boards! My skis, when I used to race skis,
were 195cm (as I said, I'm 5'9" and 150lbs...no time for conversion to
centimeters and stones or whatever now, sorry). Those things must cruise!

172 is relatively short by alpine standards - most guys are riding into
the 180s and some in the 190s. The shortest alpine board I know of
suitable for adult men is the Madd 158, but it's more of a beast than
many longer boards.

As for my Tanker - 200 is pretty long, but the Tankers are a special
case. My Tanker weighs the same as my Coiler, is just as easy to turn
on the groomed, and carves nearly as well in soft conditions. They're
amazing boards.

Yes, I know alpine boards are longer, I just didn't realize (or forgot)
they were *that* long. I generally like longer boards -- snowboard, surf
and skate -- though certainly not exclusively. I have "shortboards" of
each kind as well. I would love to try that 200cm board. Or any
hardboot/alpine set up. In all my years snoboarding (15 years, give or
take), I've never tried that discipline, if that's the right word.

-jw
Old November 9th 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jw[_2_]

jw wrote:
Most recently, I am riding a Santa Cruz 164 wide
board, even with only size 9 feet.

I find it weird that 164 is about the longest you can find in the shop
these days. My main ride is a Coiler AM 172, and if conditions are soft
I'll be on my Rad-Air Tanker 200.

Those are monstrous by local (Pennsylvania) standards. My board is a
162W, and it's usually about the biggest I see around here on the
slopes; often feels really long in the crowded lift lines. Shops carry
bigger boards, but I'm not sure who buys them. Of course, there are
reasons for the tilt toward the small:
* little or no powder to worry about
* apparent preference for park vs. freeriding
* more kids/teens riding than fully grown adults

Haha. I can imagine, being primarily a New England rider, where sure
there is more powder, longer runs, steeps, etc., but it's all relative.
We're still kinda far down on the snowboarding "totem pole." (I've
snowboarded and skied Colorado and Tahoe many times, as well -- for
perspective.).

Myself, I like the bigger boards now. I like speed, stability and big
carves, as well as natural hits and some hits in park on occasion.

Naturally, our season hasn't started yet, so I'm referring to years
past.

Naturally...good choice of words when a lot of the snow is machine made,
rather than "natural."

We haven't started yet either (Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine), but they
were blowing snow on Killington and saw snow at Sugarloaf.

-jw

Another kind of glide gr Nordic Skiing 0 March 1st 07 03:51 AM
I want a do it all kind of... Jrobb Snowboarding 0 January 19th 07 10:34 PM
My Kind of New Years Party AstroPax Alpine Skiing (moderated) 5 January 3rd 04 01:23 AM
My Kind of New Years Party AstroPax Alpine Skiing 0 December 31st 03 05:55 AM
My Kind of Christmas Present AstroPax Alpine Skiing (moderated) 1 December 25th 03 05:54 PM