It's snowing in the Tarantaise

Old November 21st 08, 10:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

Default It's snowing in the Tarantaise

Just thought I would be the first to point out from depths of the jungle
that it is currently snowing right down to 800 metres in Bourg St Maurice...
according to an excited sms from my son :-)

If it keeps it up that augurs well for some great early skiing in Espace
Killy (starts Nov 29th?) - and the Double M is already open down to Val
Claret I think...

Pete
http://frogblog-thaidings.blogspot.com/

Old November 21st 08, 11:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ian Blake[_4_]

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 17:02:05 +0700, "pg" wrote:

Just thought I would be the first to point out from depths of the jungle
that it is currently snowing right down to 800 metres in Bourg St Maurice...
according to an excited sms from my son :-)

If it keeps it up that augurs well for some great early skiing in Espace
Killy (starts Nov 29th?) - and the Double M is already open down to Val
Claret I think...

Pete
http://frogblog-thaidings.blogspot.com/

www.snow-forecast.com suggests there could be over 50cm, in the next few days.
when I looked at www.tignes.net/pano/ there were certainly a lot of people
skiing down to Val Claret. I would not think many people would want to stay out
on the Grand Motte all day in this weather.

On the other hand, around ten years ago there was a dump like this then it did
not snow again until February. My holiday in Avoriaz was very disapointing that
year.
Old November 21st 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Excess

On Nov 21, 10:02*am, "pg" wrote:
Just thought I would be the first to point out from depths of the jungle
that it is currently snowing right down to 800 metres in Bourg St Maurice....
according to an excited sms from my son :-)

If it keeps it up that augurs well for some great early skiing in Espace
Killy (starts Nov 29th?) - and the Double M is already open down to Val
Claret I think...

Petehttp://frogblog-thaidings.blogspot.com/

According to the normally highly accurate Meteo Chamonix forecast
http://meteo.chamonix.com/MetPreE.php it will be snowing below 500m
and right through from today to Monday. How exciting!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
XS
Peak Retreats http://www.peakretreats.co.uk
Ski Collection http://www.skicollection.co.uk
Old November 24th 08, 09:05 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Colin Irvine[_4_]

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 22:35:30 +0100, Ace squeezed out the following:

I've left it parked at the bottom of the drive.

Now I'm part-way into my second glass of red my heart-rate's dropped
to below 90 and I'm almost starting to relax!

g How do you manage with the drive in the winter? That's a lot of
snow to clear by hand.

--
Colin Irvine
Old November 24th 08, 09:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss[_2_]

"Ace" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 10:15:47 -0800 (PST), Excess
wrote:

On Nov 21, 10:02 am, "pg" wrote:
Just thought I would be the first to point out from depths of the jungle
that it is currently snowing right down to 800 metres in Bourg St
Maurice...
according to an excited sms from my son :-)

If it keeps it up that augurs well for some great early skiing in Espace
Killy (starts Nov 29th?) - and the Double M is already open down to Val
Claret I think...

Petehttp://frogblog-thaidings.blogspot.com/

According to the normally highly accurate Meteo Chamonix forecast
http://meteo.chamonix.com/MetPreE.php it will be snowing below 500m
and right through from today to Monday. How exciting!

It's been snowing for much of the way from Zermatt to chez Ace in
Alsace tonight. Heavy, sticking, with temps mostly a degree or three
below zero.

The last 20km were, ummm, interesting, to say the least. Got a new car
a few weeks ago, but have found that I can't, apparently, get 17"
steel wheels for it, so I'm going to have to get some alloys for the
winter. In the meantime, therefore, I'm not driving on winter tyres.
And I forgot to pack the chains, didn't I.

So with ~15cm on the roads it's been a timely reminder of just how
good winter tyres are, how much I've come to rely on them, and just
how crap normal summer ones are when there's snow on the road. Clipped
a kerb at one point, but thankfully the snow avoided any damage, and
I've left it parked at the bottom of the drive.

Now I'm part-way into my second glass of red my heart-rate's dropped
to below 90 and I'm almost starting to relax!

--
Ace - bdotrogers a.t ifrancedotcom
Ski Club of Great Britain http://www.skiclub.co.uk

Might be worth checking 16" wheel/tyre profile options, as I suspect you
could achieve the same same rolling radius as with your 17" (and I assume
low-profile) OEM set-up. Handling won't be as sharp, but if you're driving a
lot on snow and ice each winter then this is a price worth paying, IMHO.

Bonne Route... mais doucement. :-)

Roger

Roger Moss

www.mountainpassions.com - an Online Magazine with Altitude

Old November 24th 08, 10:56 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Colin Irvine[_4_]

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 10:29:01 +0100, Ace squeezed out the following:

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:05:59 +0000, Colin Irvine
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 22:35:30 +0100, Ace squeezed out the following:

I've left it parked at the bottom of the drive.

Now I'm part-way into my second glass of red my heart-rate's dropped
to below 90 and I'm almost starting to relax!

g How do you manage with the drive in the winter? That's a lot of
snow to clear by hand.

With snow tyres it's never a problem. And in fact it rarely gets much
on it for more than a few hours, as it's south-facing, innit?

But yes, it's been a pita on a few occasions, and I've normally just
salted it, but I bought a new tractor/lawnmower earlier this year
which, unlike the old one I inherited with the house, is powerful
enough to take either a snow-blower attachment or a simple
plough-blade, so I'll be getting one or t'other in the near future.

Sounds good.

--
Colin Irvine