How fast is Super G?

Old February 22nd 04, 12:18 AM
John Smith

Default How fast is Super G?

How fast are they going in super G ?

Old February 22nd 04, 12:26 AM
AstroPax

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 00:18:54 GMT, John Smith wrote:

How fast are they going in super G ?

Well, much depends upon the course, but typically I would say anywhere
between 55 mph and 80 mph.

-Astro

---
maximum exposure f/2.8
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/03-04/index.htm
---

Old February 22nd 04, 12:29 AM
Jiyang Chen

+50 mph.

Old February 22nd 04, 02:39 AM
scottabe

in article
cGhhdHBoaWw=.f02f22353f9d8ab7125f0689076a8ee8@1077 414788.nulluser.com, Karl
with a K at wrote on 2/21/04 5:53 PM:

scottabe wrote:
snip snip

num num num num num get a job. Fool!

num num num num kiss my ass, scumbag.

Old February 22nd 04, 03:48 AM
John Smith

Thanks!

I was guessing about 70mph. 60 to 80 mph without a car wrapped around
you. Wow!

I was watching some superG on tv when I sent my post. It was a great
visual example for my son of what using your edges really means. g

JS

Old February 22nd 04, 04:03 AM
AstroPax

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 03:48:59 GMT, John Smith wrote:

I was guessing about 70mph. 60 to 80 mph without a car wrapped around
you. Wow!

Actually, the 80 mph figure is really pushing it for Super-G...the
edge of the envelope, so to speak.

-Astro

---
Volkl Schmokl:
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro...-20-04_006.htm
---

Old February 23rd 04, 08:03 PM
lal_truckee

AstroPax wrote:

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 00:18:54 GMT, John Smith wrote:

How fast are they going in super G ?

Well, much depends upon the course, but typically I would say anywhere
between 55 mph and 80 mph.

(Geeze - a top poster, in this day and age ...)

80 mph is too high - Super G has real turns, and is intended to fill the
gap between Giant Slalom and Downhill, created when course setters
started setting tighter GS courses.

50-55 mph is closer, IMO, for SG. DH hits 70+ - maybe 80 occasionally on
some courses.

But yes, DH speeds are dam fast without a car wrapped around you.
Especially when it's your kid. Or yourself. (First time the kid AVERAGED
60mph for a downhill course we about choked.)
Old February 23rd 04, 09:11 PM
David

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:03:48 -0800, lal_truckee
wrote:

80 mph is too high - Super G has real turns, and is intended to fill the
gap between Giant Slalom and Downhill, created when course setters
started setting tighter GS courses.

50-55 mph is closer, IMO, for SG. DH hits 70+ - maybe 80 occasionally on
some courses.

But yes, DH speeds are dam fast without a car wrapped around you.
Especially when it's your kid. Or yourself. (First time the kid AVERAGED
60mph for a downhill course we about choked.)

I just checked the results from the Kitzbuehel SG on the FIS website
and was surprised. Maximum speed attained (at the second time trap)
was 130.70kph by Didier Cuche. Rahlves only managed 129.90, but
fortunately for him, it's time, not speed, that counts. His average
speed was just under 100kph.

I also check the results for Beaver Creek and Garmisch, and Beaver
Creek showed a max measured speed of 105kph, while Garmisch showed
an average speed of 101kph. I think the reason for such high speeds
in Kitz is that the run-in to the finish is pretty straight, not much
different from the downhill, so they pick up a lot of speed on the
last few seconds of the course.

[ For the metricallly challenged, 130.7kph is 81.2mph ]