Waxing waxless skis

Old September 2nd 05, 06:19 PM
Micheal Artindale

Default Waxing waxless skis

My fish scaled skis are now ussless. If I am to use them this year, I need
to wax them.

Can i just apply the wax to them? Do I have to remove the scales? How would
I do it?

I dont remember how to wax, so, how do I wax?

Thanks,

Micheal

PS, I know, here the season doesnt start for another 3 months

Old September 6th 05, 01:38 AM
gr

Micheal Artindale wrote:
My fish scaled skis are now ussless. If I am to use them this year, I need
to wax them.

Can i just apply the wax to them? Do I have to remove the scales? How would
I do it?

I dont remember how to wax, so, how do I wax?

Thanks,

Micheal

PS, I know, here the season doesnt start for another 3 months

Since no one has replied yet I will take a stab at it.
For fishscale skis, you apply hot wax to the front and back, but not the
scales. Any easier way out is to clean the base , then apply a liquid
wax or paste to the whole thing (scales included) In both cases, you
need to apply a paste or liquid wax to the scale areas to prevent icing
and snow clumping.
Hot waxing in general is;
1) Clean base with gentle solvent.
2) Let dry at least 1/2 hr.
3) Drip on wax (not to scales!)
4) Iron in wax )soaks into base)
5) Let cool 1/2 hour
6) Scrape wax off with plastic scraper.
7) Polish with brush if you want.
All scraping and polishing are always in the tip to tail direction.

gr
Old September 6th 05, 06:16 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old September 14th 05, 09:15 PM
Leland

Micheal, is your question being misinterpreted? Are your skis useless
because you need glide wax, or do the fish scales no longer grip, owing
to wear. If it is the latter, your problem has not been addressed. I
would like to hear the answer too.

Leland

Old September 14th 05, 11:11 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old September 15th 05, 12:52 AM
Micheal Artindale

"Leland" wrote in message
ups.com...
Micheal, is your question being misinterpreted? Are your skis useless
because you need glide wax, or do the fish scales no longer grip, owing
to wear. If it is the latter, your problem has not been addressed. I
would like to hear the answer too.

Leland

The fish scales are too smooth due to wear to grip anymore. I have great
glide, no grip.

And the solution, besides replacing is......

Thanks,

Micheal

Old September 18th 05, 08:33 PM
gr

Micheal Artindale wrote:
"Leland" wrote in message
ups.com...

Micheal, is your question being misinterpreted? Are your skis useless
because you need glide wax, or do the fish scales no longer grip, owing
to wear. If it is the latter, your problem has not been addressed. I
would like to hear the answer too.

Leland

The fish scales are too smooth due to wear to grip anymore. I have great
glide, no grip.

And the solution, besides replacing is......

Thanks,

Micheal

Only thing I can think of is rather drastic; Moto-tool/mini-grinder use
to cut some new grip surface at the back end of the fish scales. The
tricky part is to not cut too deep, so some sort of guide/holder is needed.
I had a pair like these and kind of liked them for most snow conditions
(quieter and better glide)
gr
Old September 19th 05, 01:45 AM
Edgar

If your ski base is so far gone that the mechanical grip pattern is
gone, it is time to treat yourself to new skis. I would imagine that
skis that have been so badly beaten to wear off the pattern are
probably also suffering degredation of their structural cores. Do you
ski across plowed parking lots?

Edgar

gr wrote:
Micheal Artindale wrote:
ups.com...

Old September 19th 05, 11:18 PM
Micheal Artindale

"Edgar" wrote in message
oups.com...
If your ski base is so far gone that the mechanical grip pattern is
gone, it is time to treat yourself to new skis. I would imagine that
skis that have been so badly beaten to wear off the pattern are
probably also suffering degredation of their structural cores. Do you
ski across plowed parking lots?

The fishscales are still there, just not as good as they used to be. It is
not that they have been beaten, it is that I do not ski on groomed trials. I
ski on ice, unpacked trails.....

Micheal

PS I have skied across the odd plowed parking lot, and even the snow covered
road.

Old September 20th 05, 08:05 AM
dardruba

gr wrote:
Micheal Artindale wrote:

"Leland" wrote in message
ups.com...

Micheal, is your question being misinterpreted? Are your skis useless
because you need glide wax, or do the fish scales no longer grip, owing
to wear. If it is the latter, your problem has not been addressed. I
would like to hear the answer too.

Leland

The fish scales are too smooth due to wear to grip anymore. I have great
glide, no grip.

And the solution, besides replacing is......

Thanks,

Micheal

Only thing I can think of is rather drastic; Moto-tool/mini-grinder use
to cut some new grip surface at the back end of the fish scales. The
tricky part is to not cut too deep, so some sort of guide/holder is needed.
I had a pair like these and kind of liked them for most snow conditions
(quieter and better glide)
gr

I'm a demon tweaker, always adjusting and re adjusting things on the bikes.
I did this trick on my Dynastar race skis, but I didnt have a
toolholder, just my nervous hand.
Over a period of time I got the local alpineski shop to nibble away with
their stone grinder at the front and rear of the fishscale section to
match my increasing weight and improved gliding technique.
Improving the grip of the remaining fish scales seemed an appropriate
tweak, but I didnt trust the shop to do that.