pirate bay download problem.

Old March 23rd 10, 01:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
outsideinmi

Default pirate bay download problem.

Hey, tried to download some of the recent world cup races from basilbrush
and other so i went o my favorite site pirate bay and my virus software
freaked out, never had this problem before. closed it down reloaded web
page same problem. then got a suspicious popup and comp freaked out so i
logged out, restarted etc.

anyone else have problems with pirate bay? any other sites i can use that i
can trust?
help, having skiing withdrawals.

JKal.

Old March 23rd 10, 02:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bob Schwartz[_2_]

outsideinmi wrote:
anyone else have problems with pirate bay?

Yes, people have had problems with piratebay. I've had issues
with isohunt too.

I've got a linux netbook that comes in handy for stuff like
that. I can download the torrent file and then reload the
OS on a reboot. I'm overdue to get acquainted with virtual
machines, you can do similar things there. If you pick
something up you just delete the machine and load another,
they're disposable.

Bob Schwartz
Old March 23rd 10, 06:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 21:27:51 -0400
"outsideinmi" wrote:

Hey, tried to download some of the recent world cup races from
basilbrush and other so i went o my favorite site pirate bay and my
virus software freaked out, never had this problem before. closed it
down reloaded web page same problem. then got a suspicious popup and
comp freaked out so i logged out, restarted etc.

anyone else have problems with pirate bay? any other sites i can use
that i can trust?
help, having skiing withdrawals.

JKal, Which a-v app are you using, and which malware did it identify?
The only problem I had was a week ago when the PB files wouldn't play -
invalid files. Then I noticed bb's redirection to demonoid, and those
came out fine. A SuperAntiSpyware scan picked up a bit of malware last
week, but they weren't in the downloaded files.

Gene
Old March 23rd 10, 10:08 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
outsideinmi

i use bittorrent as my file downloader, AVG as virus software, media player
and iTunes to watch vids.

No specific malware was identified this time as i got outta the site
quickly, but last week my wife picked up one there too, can't rememeber the
name of it but i did have to reload windows completely after that one and
lost a LOT of music and vids after that (at least the stuff i didnt have
backed up)

JKal.

Old March 23rd 10, 01:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bob Schwartz[_2_]

outsideinmi wrote:
i use bittorrent as my file downloader, AVG as virus software, media player
and iTunes to watch vids.

No specific malware was identified this time as i got outta the site
quickly, but last week my wife picked up one there too, can't rememeber the
name of it but i did have to reload windows completely after that one and
lost a LOT of music and vids after that (at least the stuff i didnt have
backed up)

I think they're coming from the ads and depend on what is
in the rotation. I've had Avast detect stuff at home and
I've checked for torrent availability at work and had AV
stuff there miss it.

I like the idea of web surfing through a virtual machine.
Recovery from stuff like this is just a matter of deleting
and reloading the vm.

Bob Schwartz
Old March 23rd 10, 04:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Bob's solution is not a bad one, but along the way take a look at the
ad blocker, Ad Muncher - http://www.admuncher.com/. I've been using it
for a few years and the premium version, about $27 US, is well worth
it. It makes all the difference in viewing pleasure (lol), as well as
cutting down on exposure to ad-based malware (probably using Opera
helps too).

Btw, I hope you did full system scans with AVG, MBAM and whatever else
from Safe Mode before deciding to reformat and reinstall Windows. Also
last year, after being bitten a lot with AVG, I switched to Avira
Personal (free) and then later added MSE (free), in addition to using
SAS Pro (cheap), all being resident (not officially advised but I've
had no problems). Each is scheduled to do a full scan once a week (tho
sometimes it's missed). Problems since have been rare and minimal.

Gene

Old March 24th 10, 01:46 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
outsideinmi

Yes yes and yes Gene!! full scans and MBAM scan too.
reloading windows was actually a nice solution because it cleaned up all the
crap i had on the comp and now its faster. unfortunately i did lose about
20 gig of good music (Greg Brown, my fave) oh well, life goes on.

JKal.