Bjørgen is having a pretty good end-of-season, and so is Norway

Old March 20th 10, 12:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_2_]

Default Bjørgen is having a pretty good end-of-season, and so is Norway

Falun 5+5 today was a perfect replay of the 30K in Kollen, with the same
three Norwegian ladies, in the same order, on the podium.

Marit has a 50 second lead before the last event of the year tomorrow,
while Justyna seemed quite tired after a strong start, taking the first
15 bonus seconds.

The only downside was the total disaster for the team on yesterday's
prolog: The waxing team discovered halfway into the race that one of the
components they had used (a yellowish liquid I've never seen before,
possibly a klister binder) had gone bad (or maybe a manufacturing
error?), which meant that the klister didn't stay put at all:

After a few K it became obvious that the klister was migrating along the
sole, going way into the glider sone and icing up as well. :-(

At this point in time there was just 10 minutes to the last starts, so
the waxers ran over, grabbed Marit's skis and rewaxed them (since they
were already marked they couldn't just replace them), bringing them back
just in time for her start slot.

Marit admitted after the race that she was quite worried when all this
took place. :-)

Terje
- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
Old March 20th 10, 02:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Both of the prologue winners had a hard time. I wonder if Kowalczyk
will change her approach to racing next year, since I think she only
missed two races. She's also reportedly put in a whole lot of hours
the past two off seasons, and I wonder how long she can mentally keep
that up.

Gene

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no

Old March 21st 10, 07:05 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Eurosport announcers say Kowalczyk came back from Vancouver with a cold
and is still "croaking" during press interviews.

Gene