What skis to rent for spring skiing

Old March 6th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Default What skis to rent for spring skiing

Mighty Chris wrote:

My opinion is that unless you
really love carving (or ski in the east or midwest, obviously) the
benefits of wider skis far outweigh their negatives.

For the record:

1) I love carving.
2) I ski in the east and the midwest

and my next pair of skis are going to be the wide-ass Volkl Mantra.
(133-96-116).

I've already got a pair of narrow waisted east coast ice skates (Volkl 5
Stars) for when the snow is firm and smooth. I'll probably continue to
use those ~70% of the time. But when there's fresh, slush, or crud the
wide boards will come out. Well, they will as soon as I find the right
deal on them. Looking....

//Walt
Old March 6th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike

You all must have alot of money, because up to 2005 I was skiing on 207cm
Dynastars (which incidently are lighter than my current Atomic skis).

Old March 6th 08, 10:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Mike wrote:
You all must have alot of money, because up to 2005 I was skiing on 207cm
Dynastars (which incidently are lighter than my current Atomic skis).

No, we don't all have a lot of money.

Some of us *had* a lot of money before buying all those skis.

Now? Not so much...

//Walt
Old March 6th 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Mike wrote:
You all must have alot of money, because up to 2005 I was skiing on 207cm
Dynastars (which incidently are lighter than my current Atomic skis).

Nah, we aren't rich. Just dedicated and do find
the right deals.
Old March 6th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

VtSkier wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
Evojeesus wrote:

Don't forget that wider skis are shorter and therefore fit better in
narrow couloirs.

In 1939 Toni Matt demonstrated a method for avoiding this difficulty.

How many people do you think are going to "get" this one?

All the actual skiers?

...of a certain age.

In the aftermatt we can all go Sailering.

Boo!

Oh for heaven's sake, will somebody please explain this to those of us
who weren't born yet, didn't start skiing until 1985 and NEVER watch sports?

--
Cheers, Bev
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++
Old March 6th 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Treseler

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22he...a+few+turns%22
Old March 7th 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

Mike Treseler wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

Oh for heaven's sake, will somebody please explain this to those of us
who weren't born yet, didn't start skiing until 1985 and NEVER watch
sports?

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22he...a+few+turns%22

Oooh. 8 miles? I've only seen pictures of TR, but it's sure not 8
miles high...

--
Cheers, Bev
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^
Old March 7th 08, 03:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

The Real Bev wrote:
Mike Treseler wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

Oh for heaven's sake, will somebody please explain this to those of us
who weren't born yet, didn't start skiing until 1985 and NEVER watch
sports?

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22he...a+few+turns%22

Oooh. 8 miles? I've only seen pictures of TR, but it's sure not 8
miles high...

and of course
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toni_Sailer
Old March 7th 08, 04:29 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jeff Davis

****. Can't any of you lame losers afford to Heli Ski Alaska?
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old March 7th 08, 04:33 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jeff Davis

In article ,
Walt wrote:

No, we don't all have a lot of money.

Speak for yourself. BTW- you sound like you can't get a rep to sign your
pro form. Bummer.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."