steamboat in late march?

Old November 22nd 03, 05:27 PM
Dave Stallard

Default steamboat in late march?

Ken Stone wrote:

Please, I am looking for an honest assessment of ski conditions for late
March (20th-27th). Will be staying at high $$$ condo and do not want
disappointment. I know that temps can be 40's-50's and that lower
mountain may get slushy in afternoon. My main concern is that we wont
feel like trip was ruined by bad conditions. I know that there's no
guarantee when it come to weather, but what would generally be expected
that time of year?

I would not book this trip. I've been to Steamboat in mid-March and it
was all mashed potatoes and glop. Here's what Tony Crocker's site has
to say about it:

Best in state in December/January for highest snowfall, but
lowest elevation and worst exposure of Colorado destination resorts

The slopes at Steamboat are just not protected from the sun - they face
in the wrong direction. That's nice for early season, when it's colder,
but not late season. See http://members.aol.com/crockeraf for all the
details.

I'll repeat my advice: Don't book this trip.

Dave
Old November 24th 03, 02:22 PM
Giles

Please, I am looking for an honest assessment of ski conditions for late
March (20th-27th

I would not book this trip. I've been to Steamboat in mid-March and it
was all mashed potatoes and glop. Here's what Tony Crocker's site has
to say about it:

.... although on the other hand, I skied there March 8th this year and
it was all that I could have asked (well, a little wind-blown on the
back side). I know that a few days can make quite a difference, but I
believe they had another storm just after I left. If you extend "ski
conditions" to include lift lines and other ambience I would have
described them as "excellent".

So it isn't a guaranteed disaster.

Giles Morris
Old November 24th 03, 04:53 PM
Dave Stallard

Giles wrote:

Please, I am looking for an honest assessment of ski conditions for late
March (20th-27th

I would not book this trip. I've been to Steamboat in mid-March and it
was all mashed potatoes and glop. Here's what Tony Crocker's site has
to say about it:

... although on the other hand, I skied there March 8th this year and
it was all that I could have asked (well, a little wind-blown on the
back side). I know that a few days can make quite a difference, but I
believe they had another storm just after I left. If you extend "ski
conditions" to include lift lines and other ambience I would have
described them as "excellent".

So it isn't a guaranteed disaster.

No, it's not a *guaranteed* disaster. (Though note the original poster
is talking about late March, not early March.) You can't guarantee
anything. My point is, the probability of experiencing disappointing
conditions is high, esp. given the money he is paying and the concerns
he has. I wouldn't say my trip was a disaster, either. I just wouldn't
go that time of year.

I'd suggest Summit County for that time of year, or Aspen/Snowmass.
Just my .02.

Dave
Old November 25th 03, 04:58 AM
Richard Replin

Dave Stallard wrote in message ...
Giles wrote:

[...]

Please note that Steamboat is the lowest major area in Colorado with a
base elevation of 6900 feet. It also has a predominantly west
exposure, unlike most areas which are predominantly north. Thus, it
is the worst major area for spring skiing. It's one of the best for
early season.