Singletrack XC

Old December 28th 04, 10:06 PM

Default Singletrack XC

Tight trails are where it's at.

It's an aspect of XC that should be played up. Tricky moves to do
tricky trails---just like everyone loves in MTB.

--JP

Old December 29th 04, 02:17 AM
Greg Fangel

It's an aspect of XC that should be played up. Tricky moves to do
tricky trails---just like everyone loves in MTB.

--JP

I find the most useful move for single tracks is the extreme lean to the
left, and the gentle slide to a quick butt saving stop!
gr

How about the maneuver of slowing down by forcing the skis to the outside of
the track so that the friction slows you down?

If you are ever in northern Minnesota, Korkki Nordic has some great single
track trails. Also try Rock Lake near Cable, WI.

Greg Fangel

Old December 29th 04, 03:32 AM
gr

Greg Fangel wrote:
It's an aspect of XC that should be played up. Tricky moves to do
tricky trails---just like everyone loves in MTB.

--JP

I find the most useful move for single tracks is the extreme lean to the
left, and the gentle slide to a quick butt saving stop!
gr

How about the maneuver of slowing down by forcing the skis to the outside of
the track so that the friction slows you down?

If you are ever in northern Minnesota, Korkki Nordic has some great single
track trails. Also try Rock Lake near Cable, WI.

Greg Fangel

Hmmmm.... my singletrack is more like the mountain bike singletrack (oh
yeah it IS the same singletrack) in that it is a hike bike trail and no
grooming or formed tracks are present. The few times I've been on
groomed trackes, it has been very nice glide and I don't have to steer!.

Actually, since I use 3 pin bindings, I find that sometimes if the
tracks are icy on the edges, the wings of the binding dig in and make a
racket and slow me down if I am not dead on center. I wouldn't want to
call than a brake though!!
gr
Old December 29th 04, 07:29 AM
Terje Mathisen

Greg Fangel wrote:

It's an aspect of XC that should be played up. Tricky moves to do
tricky trails---just like everyone loves in MTB.

--JP

I find the most useful move for single tracks is the extreme lean to the
left, and the gentle slide to a quick butt saving stop!

No, no! The only real options in such situations is to either avoid them
totally, or simpy go for it: Bailing out (late) might not be an option
at all. :-)

How about the maneuver of slowing down by forcing the skis to the outside of
the track so that the friction slows you down?

I do that all the time when skiing with my kids in Nordmarka:

When overtaking, you're responsible for not hitting the person in front,
and the easiest way to slow down without stepping into the lose snow on
the side of the track is to do that ski/boots press into the edge of the
track.

Terje

--
-