Sports Ranking ESPN Grid, essay, etc....Who wins?

Old May 2nd 04, 04:49 PM
Jeff Potter

Default Sports Ranking ESPN Grid, essay, etc....Who wins?

I won't spoil it. But they use 10 factors and...XC ties
with...badminton! YIKES! And road bike racing kicks our butts. Waaahhh.
Well, interesting stuff. OK, I'll spill the beans: boxing wins. As well
it should. : ) If you don't mind your sport not being civilized.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old May 3rd 04, 02:36 PM
JMC

"Jeff Potter" wrote in message
I won't spoil it. But they use 10 factors and...XC ties
with...badminton! YIKES! And road bike racing kicks our butts. Waaahhh.

If you are a television sports network, you first decide which sports you
want on top of the list, then define which criterias to use to get them at
the desired ranking. So you want it to be 1. boxing 2. ice hockey and 3.
football?
Dilute ENDURANCE, by giving ths factor only 10% of the total score.
Add STRENGHT, so all these guys with 100 lbs of protective gear get the max.
score
Etc., etc., etc.

The criteria that made me smile most: durability. Defined as "The ability to
withstand physical punishment over a long period of time", a few seconds of
rodeo will take you to the top ten, whereas nordic skiing ties with surfing,
right after baseball. Baseball is so very punishing, indeed...

Whatever their ranking is, mine is quite different. When I'm skiing, skiing
is No.1. When I'm cycling, cycling, is No.1. And so on.

JMC

P.S. Funny that nordic skiing and badminton are tied; I like both just as
much.

Old May 3rd 04, 04:42 PM
Jim Farrell

I like the fact that the experts considered nordic skiing to be only
slightly more demanding of the 'athlete' than auto racing. In the
ranking categories, auto racing requires much more hand-eye
coordination(!) and 'analytic aptitude' than nordic skiing, yet seems to
require more than half the endurance, strength, agility and 'durability'
of nordic skiing. But any list like this that considers fishing to be
an athletic endeavor is certainly not speaking my language.

Jim Farrell

Old May 3rd 04, 06:58 PM
Davide Tosi

Jeff Potter wrote:

Oops: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

This is the tipical yankee crap.
All the American sports are in the top 10 (baseball? please, that's just a
game, should be in the same class as bowling or darts), while almost none
of the Eurosports is the top 10. Some aren't even considered at all (I
didn't notice Ski jumping for instance).

Even their poll is biased, you can't push up sports like Alpine Skiing
(Downhill is the most difficult of them all, IMHO) or Cycling, for
instance, only change the top 10 among mainly yankee sports.

I would like that the Eurosport website tries to do this with Euro sport
experts. I bet the result would be completely different.