Quick release method for lift tickets?

Old September 2nd 05, 07:10 PM
Rich Heimlich

On 02 Sep 2005 14:43:57 EDT, Sven Golly
wrote:

It's a plastic D-ring that's permanently attached to a fabric loop on your
jacket. They're meant for holding lift tix. JQ is suggesting rotating it
so the flat side of the D is outside the loop and cutting through it
carefully with a fine bladed saw. Then rotate it back inside the loop.
That way you can take the ticket on/off at will but it won't "look" like
you can.

Ah, I got it now. They also sell metal ones of those that close with a
scew mechanism. That would work too.
Old September 2nd 05, 07:20 PM
Rich Heimlich

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:03:02 -0700, "Richard Henry"
wrote:

OT re parking meters: it is illegal in the city of San Diego to put money
in a parking meter that will prevent someone else getting a parking ticket.

Yep, yet another example where someone should be holding the city
accountable and isn't. This is gouging. Plain and simple. The space is
paid for and in this world where good samaritans are hard enough to
come by we don't need laws to further impede those looking to help out
others.

A couple places near me tried to come up with solutions that
essentially reset the meter when a car left it. Thankfully, enough
honest politicians were around to put these efforts down and exposed
them for the shams they were.

If this goes unchecked, next when you visit a relative's house you
won't be able to make a phone call or watch their TV because they paid
for service ostensibly only for their use. If a parent has a child
move back home, they'll get fined for having that child start using
the phone more than usual (under flat rate services of course).

And how dare you ride in van and maximize the savings on the trip when
each of you could be driving your own car and spending money on gas
and wear and tear.

Also, don't lean over and share your partners food at the table. It
may be enough to feed an army but if you ask for another spoon, you'll
be shot on the spot.

MANY things go on today because enough of us haven't gotten around to
targeting them. I have a sneaking suspicion that if gas prices don't
let up, this will prove to be a tough year for the ski resorts as
people stop taking so many day trips and limit themselves to a few
longer trips per season. Perhaps if that happens, we'll see some new
family-friendly approaches show up that make this entire discussion
moot. grin
Old September 2nd 05, 07:30 PM
Rich Heimlich

On 2 Sep 2005 11:02:46 -0700, wrote:

I would guess that it does reduce the amount of lift ticket fraud, but
that it is not perfect because there will always be some who will go to
great lengths to be able to share their lift tickets. I would not be
surprised to hear that some people would go so far as to share their
ski outfits, switching jackets, pants, boots, or whatever it takes.

That exactly the point. It's the old MYTH that businesses lose money
to people who do these sorts of things. In most cases, it simply isn't
true. Long ago my mother taught me a lesson we nearly all learned
early on. Don't count your chickens before they hatch, or paraphrased,
don't count your money until it's in your pocket. You cannot lose
something you never had in the first place. If X customer didn't pay
for a lift ticket, you did not lose money. He never gave you money to
lose in the first place. Assuming you've lost money suggests that this
person would have paid given no other alternative and what often
proves to be the case is that said person wouldn't have paid at all or
wouldn't have come at all. I've seen the exact opposite be true many
times in my life--that is companies making more money because of this
sort of situation. That doesn't make it right and certainly it must be
frowned upon lest everyone do it.

I can absolutely see, in my case, if such sharing of tickets were
allowed, that the establishment would make more from me. I might stick
around to eat dinner and relax at the lodge while my son uses my pass
to ski with a friend.

Well, that is a fine rationalization, but those are not the terms on
which most ski areas offer their services. I do remember reading that

And that's why I'm here discussing this so that perhaps others will
question such policies. Nothing changes without some effort. I
actually prefer not to wait around for businesses to think of my best
interests. My experience has been that they are quite slow in coming
around to that side of the equation.

BTW, some cities have installed parking meters that reset themselves
when the space is vacated.

And as I mentioned elsewhere, that's an abomination in my view. It's
gouging in its most plain form. It was attempted nearby here in a
couple locations and shot down thankfully.
Old September 2nd 05, 07:43 PM
Richard Henry

"Rich Heimlich" wrote in message

MANY things go on today because enough of us haven't gotten around to
targeting them. I have a sneaking suspicion that if gas prices don't
let up, this will prove to be a tough year for the ski resorts as
people stop taking so many day trips and limit themselves to a few
longer trips per season. Perhaps if that happens, we'll see some new
family-friendly approaches show up that make this entire discussion
moot. grin

You can tell W is not running for re-election again. Today he asked people
to buy less gas.

Old September 2nd 05, 08:05 PM

Rich Heimlich wrote:
That exactly the point.

No. My guess is that people swapping pants or other clothing to share
a lift ticket, while it may happen occasionally, is actually very rare,
but there just are not very many skiers that are this determined to
cheat. I think the requirement to permanently attach the lift ticket
probably is reasonably effective at reducing fraud. Most skiers
obviously do not consider it overly burdensome.

And that's why I'm here discussing this so that perhaps others will
question such policies

Well, then, you are changing your justification in midstream. As I
recall, your original stated reason was so you could continue skiing
without any inconvenience after removing layers. There were several
suggestions that would have addressed this issue while remaining in
compliance with the terms and conditions of the ski areas. Apparently,
this was not your real motivation and it was just a smokescreen.

Arguing illogically here will not get the ski areas to change their
ways. You need to tell them, perhaps the marketing department, and
back it up with tangible action (like evidence that you decided to ski
at a different area that allowed you to share a lift ticket). You
never know. You might convince them.

Old September 2nd 05, 09:45 PM
The Real Bev

JQ wrote:

"Rich Heimlich" wrote:

wrote:

A keyring works for me.

You have to love simplicity. Wow. I'd have spent a year on this and
not thought of a keyring! Thanks. So now I have a keyring or hooking
it on the pants that makes sense.

I used the key ring and at few places made me remove it to a permanent loop.
Like VtSkier had said most places will allow you to change from one jacket
or clothing to another if you go to customer service which is a hassle &
time consuming. The only other way to over come the problem is if the piece
of clothing you want to use has a plastic ticket loop, pull the loop around
so that the flat part is exposed and the rounded part is inside of the loop
holder, now with a very fine saw (hack saw) cut the center of the flat part.
Rotate it back the original position, now you can remove the lift ticket by
rotating the ring. As a safety precaution I would use a smaller key ring
under the plastic ticket ring just in case the plastic ring breaks. They
also make plastic key rings which most people will think it is the lift
ticket ring holder which would probably be the best thing to use.

I keep meaning to sew a small key-ring into the side-seam of my pants about
halfway down to the knee, but laziness roolz. I would think the lifty
wouldn't want to bend over that far to check the attachment mechanism, and you
don't have to keep pulling up your sweater and jacket to show your ticket to
the memory-challenged.

--
Cheers, Bev (Registered Linux User 85683)
Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really
Old September 2nd 05, 09:48 PM
The Real Bev

ant wrote:

Rich Heimlich wrote:
Hello all. As the new season is beginning its approach I've been
wondering about one thing that has always annoyed me and that's the
standard lift ticket metal loop that's used to attach it to your
jacket. I prefer to wear layers instead of one thick jacket so I often
need to change lift tickets between layers.

Many resorts now just give you the ticket with a hole in it, and a plastic
zip tie. I guess you just need some way of cutting the zip tie, and a
handful of zip ties.

You can generally unfasten a zip tie if you use a pin or equivalent to flip
down the little lip that acts as a ratchet, allowing the tie to release.

I covet a package of day-glo orange or green zip ties, but have way too many
ordinary black and white ones to consider such a luxury :-(

Old September 2nd 05, 10:09 PM
The Real Bev

Rich Heimlich wrote:
I no longer shop at places that check my bag and receipt when I leave.

This is almost what I suggested about giving your business to areas
that will explicitly offer their services on terms that are agreeable
to you. Vote with you feet and your pocketbook instead of secretly
violating their rules. Let them know why you are choosing to go
somewhere else.

That only works if there IS somewhere else to go and if you aren't the only
one to make a stink. If you complain about something unfair loudly enough
that other customers might see fit to join the squabble you can probably get
your way once, but it's exhausting. Easiest is to just sail on by and let
them chase you if they want to. They won't.

What's been made quite clear from the two places I've discussed this
is that A) theft via the use of another persons lift ticket is
seemingly a large problem. B) The policy of attaching the lift ticket
to a seemingly permanent location is apparently not resolving the
problem.

I would guess that it does reduce the amount of lift ticket fraud, but
that it is not perfect because there will always be some who will go to
great lengths to be able to share their lift tickets. I would not be
surprised to hear that some people would go so far as to share their
ski outfits, switching jackets, pants, boots, or whatever it takes.

Buying a one-size-fits-all vest and swapping it among the users doesn't seem
to be that big a bother.

Are you suggesting that if you come upon a parking meter that has
extra time on it that you drive to a new location to find another
meter with no remaining time on it? grin Why should the mountain be
the only one to benefit in our mutual relationship? I paid for X hours
of skiing. X hours of skiing would be used

Well, that is a fine rationalization, but those are not the terms on
which most ski areas offer their services.

Clearly, but perhaps they should. They probably relate to the people who are
so desperately trying to stop people from sharing music.

I do remember reading that
there were some ski areas that were offering lift tickets where they
charged either by the number of chair rides or the number of vertical
feet. I don't remember the details since I never skied at those areas,
and I don't even know if they are still doing it.

Mountain High (SoCal) does that, but I suspect you'd be better off buying a
regular ticket -- beginning in January the local Ralph's sells tickets at
significant discount. Actually, unless your car is balky you're probably
better off going somewhere else.

BTW, some cities have installed parking meters that reset themselves
when the space is vacated.

All it takes is an army of concerned citizens with torches and pitchforks
surrounding city hall... Our CityDroids thought it would be a good idea to
require motorhomes to be stored in garages or in some other way invisible from
the street. Little did they realize that (a) there are few places within 50
miles to store a monsterhome; (b) they're expensive all out of proportion to
the service they provide; (c) the people who owned the monsterhomes were
generally upper-income people, the ones the CityDroids ran into at the country
club; and (d) one of the Droids himself owned such a monsterhome. The idea
was quickly dropped.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old September 2nd 05, 11:21 PM
klaus

ant wrote:

Many resorts now just give you the ticket with a hole in it, and a plastic
zip tie. I guess you just need some way of cutting the zip tie, and a
handful of zip ties.

The best resorts use electronic tickets that you just put in your
pocket. Then it doesn't matter.

-klaus

Old September 3rd 05, 12:46 AM
The Real Bev

klaus wrote:

ant wrote:

Many resorts now just give you the ticket with a hole in it, and a plastic
zip tie. I guess you just need some way of cutting the zip tie, and a
handful of zip ties.

The best resorts use electronic tickets that you just put in your
pocket. Then it doesn't matter.

Mountain High did that a couple of years ago. You had to hold the thing
really close to the sensor and it took several passes. Worked about as well
as the rest of their operation.

--
Cheers,
Bev