Overnight In Cervinia

Old March 1st 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Richard & Barbara

Default Overnight In Cervinia

We are planning to ski from Zermatt and stay overnight in Cervinia. Can
anyone recommend a hotel that is convenient to the lifts?

Thanks for the help.

Richard

Old March 1st 07, 01:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Steve Pardoe

"Richard & Barbara" wrote in message
We are planning to ski from Zermatt and stay overnight in Cervinia. Can
anyone recommend a hotel that is convenient to the lifts?

Some Cervinia hotels are listed on the Ski Club website at
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/ (follow the links to resort guides) and here
http://www.cervinia.it. You don't say just when you're going, but I'm not
sure how likely you are to find accommodation for just one night at short
notice - seems to me many hotels block-book by the week.

Cervinia is quite compact, and most of the hotels are only a few minutes'
(generally downhill) walk from the main lift station.

I'm sure you're aware that the cross-border lifts tend to close in high
winds, so allow plenty of time to get back over. And don't forget your
passports ;-)

We'll be there from Saturday (3/3) ourselves - yippeee!

HTH,

SteveP

Old March 1st 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Michael Chare

"Steve Pardoe" wrote in message
"Richard & Barbara" wrote in message
We are planning to ski from Zermatt and stay overnight in Cervinia. Can
anyone recommend a hotel that is convenient to the lifts?

If all you want to do is ski in Cervinia, then I should point out that returning
to Zermatt is not exactly difficult. In high winds the 3 chair lifts from Plan
Maison are more likely to be open than the cable car.

--

Michael Chare

Old March 1st 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Richard

To All:

Many thanks for the help. We are regular visitors to Zermatt, and ski
Cervinia quite often. The overnight idea is pure adventure. My guess is,
we'll carry ruck sacks and mobile phones, and try for a hotel eatly in the
day. Failing that, we'll simply ski back to Zermatt.

By the way, we have never carried passports while skiiing to Cervinia from
Zermatt. What am I missing?

Thanks again.

Richard

Old March 1st 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Eugene Miya

Oh, there's a 2-star hotel, I forget the name, and I'd have to check an
old Visa bill right next (slightly NE) of the House of Guides. It's on
the slope. Just check with the tourism office and they can point you to
something current. Probably better to do mid-week but a weekend might
work. Make certain you do take a passport. The first thing I recall
was the person behind the counter almost in a panic asking: Are you OK?
Did you get separated from others? Do people in Zermatt know you are
here, etc.? This was a clear sunny day 2 days after snow fall.

Had goat (chamois) for dinner up the street on the left.

I don't see this as a big deal. But then it was just me.
More people might be harder. Just use the tourism office.
Further down the Val, things might be different.
Wait until you decide what to take and what to leave in Zermatt
(if you have never skiied with a pack on).

Old March 1st 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Pip Luscher

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 18:31:39 GMT, "Richard"
wrote:

To All:

Many thanks for the help. We are regular visitors to Zermatt, and ski
Cervinia quite often. The overnight idea is pure adventure. My guess is,
we'll carry ruck sacks and mobile phones, and try for a hotel eatly in the
day. Failing that, we'll simply ski back to Zermatt.

By the way, we have never carried passports while skiiing to Cervinia from
Zermatt. What am I missing?

I one got stopped at the top of the cable car and politely invited to
stand in the customs office while they checked my passport, including
checking it against some sort of list; they also searched my rucksack.

I guess I must look a bit dodgy.

--
-Pip
Old March 1st 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Michael Chare

"Richard" wrote in message
nk.net...
To All:

By the way, we have never carried passports while skiiing to Cervinia from
Zermatt. What am I missing?

Having you name put it the naughty boys book by the police that man the office
at the bottom of the cable car. The office is on the left just before you go
through the skipass check turnstiles. It is not always manned.

--

Michael Chare

Old March 1st 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Eugene Miya

In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
Having you name put it the naughty boys book by the police that man the office
at the bottom of the cable car. The office is on the left just before you go
through the skipass check turnstiles. It is not always manned.

This office has taped to the window, a 1:35,000 scale map which is the
most impressive Italian topographic map that I have ever seen.
I've tried to track down a copy with no luck. I've talked to the
Italian Embassy in Washington DC, the IGM in Italy, via phone and email,
and other institutions. I've got the civilian and military maps of the
area but no one can tell me where to get one of those. I considered
even going inside and asking to buy it off them. It's a weird scale.

But a very nicely compiled map.

Almost as good as the Davos Snicker's bar ad which had the photo of a
Snicker's bar and the word: "Eigernordwand?" over it, which shows how in
you have to be with it to appreciate the humor (it also had "alles
peanuts" in the lower corner in smaller print to be complete).