152cm for my wife?

Old February 7th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Suanne Lippman

Default 152cm for my wife?

My wife is 5'5", 160 pounds. A very timid skier; she can do a black, but
very very very slowly.

In a lesson today her instructor told her that one of her problems is that
her 160cm skis are too long. She demoed a pair of 152cm Fischer Vision 70
skis and loved them; and wants to buy a pair.

Sure, they are easier to turn, but it seems to me that they are just too
short; they might be a quick fix for turning better, but in the long run
they are too short to hold their edges.

Well, that is what it seems to me. Any opinions?

Old February 7th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Marty

On Feb 7, 12:42 pm, "Suanne Lippman" wrote:
My wife is 5'5", 160 pounds. A very timid skier; she can do a black, but
very very very slowly.

In a lesson today her instructor told her that one of her problems is that
her 160cm skis are too long. She demoed a pair of 152cm Fischer Vision 70
skis and loved them; and wants to buy a pair.

Sure, they are easier to turn, but it seems to me that they are just too
short; they might be a quick fix for turning better, but in the long run
they are too short to hold their edges.

They should be fine as long as the torsional rigidity is there for her
ability and the edges are maintained.

For example, I'm 5'9" and about 180lbs and I ski just about everything
on my Fisher SL at 156cm and they hold just fine.
--
Marty

Old February 7th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Feb 7, 2:53 pm, "Marty" wrote:
On Feb 7, 12:42 pm, "Suanne Lippman" wrote:

My wife is 5'5", 160 pounds. A very timid skier; she can do a black, but
very very very slowly.

In a lesson today her instructor told her that one of her problems is that
her 160cm skis are too long. She demoed a pair of 152cm Fischer Vision 70
skis and loved them; and wants to buy a pair.

Sure, they are easier to turn, but it seems to me that they are just too
short; they might be a quick fix for turning better, but in the long run
they are too short to hold their edges.

They should be fine as long as the torsional rigidity is there for her
ability and the edges are maintained.

For example, I'm 5'9" and about 180lbs and I ski just about everything
on my Fisher SL at 156cm and they hold just fine.
--
Marty

I'm 5'6" and just bought Atomic Women's B 11:M's, which you may want
to also look into - got mine on skiersoutlet.com. When I demo'ed them
from a ski shop I trust they really wanted me to go with the 150's,
but I insisted on the 157's so I can keep up with my husband - and I
did, and fell in love with the ski, too. So I think the advice is
sound, especially if she's not looking for speed.

Old February 12th 07, 11:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

Suanne Lippman wrote:
My wife is 5'5", 160 pounds. A very timid skier; she can do a black,
but very very very slowly.

In a lesson today her instructor told her that one of her problems is
that her 160cm skis are too long. She demoed a pair of 152cm Fischer
Vision 70 skis and loved them; and wants to buy a pair.

Sure, they are easier to turn, but it seems to me that they are just
too short; they might be a quick fix for turning better, but in the
long run they are too short to hold their edges.

Well, that is what it seems to me. Any opinions?

Remember, The only reason Women race on 155 slalom skis is they are not
allowed to go shorter! Why do you think a 152 won't hold an edge?

--
Chris *:-)