Family at Christmas

Old October 8th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Adrian Tupper

Default Family at Christmas

It's a while since I've posted here but I wonder if anyone can assist my
thinking.

We're a large family of skiers of varying keen-nesses. We are looking for
a resort that is
(a) close to an airport accessible from Edinburgh airport (Currently this
is just Chambery and Geneva I think). If transport links are in place to
the resort then even better.
(b) has items of interest for occasional skiers (a 7-year-old and his mum)
such as local towns, train station nearby etc.
(c) has items of interest for very enthusiastic skiers, i.e. lots of
runs/lifts etc
(d) Has at least some reliable snow

I suppose cost is an issue but will it really be that different from resort
to resort?

Any pointers appreciated.

--
Adrian

Remove packaging and take out insurance before emailing me
Old October 9th 06, 08:21 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
JR

Hmmm... Others might disagree with me but how about Vallorcine near
Chamonix? Its a picture postcard french village near the swiss border, with
a new 8 man gondola accessing Le Tour. Its still relatively quiet as people
havent found it yet, it has a couple of stations. For hotels, try the Hotel
Le Buet which is close to Le Buet station. There's a cross country track
just outside which goes down to the gondola (bit of poling required bt its
not bad). Also, immediately outside are some beginner slopes and at night we
had great fun last time sledging on the bottom of the piste (completely
unsupervised, and a little dangerous if you go too far and end up on the
road!) The hotel is very french (think olde-worldy hunting lodge) and basic
but comfortable with good food.

Also, just down the road is the Bellevue lodge. This has rooms for about 35
euros/night or a bunkhouse underneath for 14. The owner (Lars) is Danish and
will ski with you sometimes. His housekeeper Franscoise speaks good english
too, and will certainly look after you! Problem is that its a bit late now
and you might not get in.

The village iself is not very big however, and occasional skiiers might find
themselves jumping the train (very picturesque route) back to chamonix to
find other things to do. If its a warm christmas, then Argentiere is not far
away, giving access to the Grand Montets....best chance of good snow but a
bit of a looney's playground! (zzzip, zzzip...zzzzzippp)

John

"Adrian Tupper" wrote in
message 9...

Old October 9th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Adrian Tupper

"JR" wrote in
:

Hmmm... Others might disagree with me but how about Vallorcine near
Chamonix? Its a picture postcard french village near the swiss border,
with a new 8 man gondola accessing Le Tour. Its still relatively quiet
as people havent found it yet, it has a couple of stations. For
hotels, try the Hotel Le Buet which is close to Le Buet station.
There's a cross country track just outside which goes down to the
gondola (bit of poling required bt its not bad). Also, immediately
outside are some beginner slopes and at night we had great fun last
time sledging on the bottom of the piste (completely unsupervised, and
a little dangerous if you go too far and end up on the road!) The
hotel is very french (think olde-worldy hunting lodge) and basic but
comfortable with good food.

I'm not familiar with this resort but will look into it. Thanks for the
suggestion, JR.

Also, just down the road is the Bellevue lodge. This has rooms for
about 35 euros/night or a bunkhouse underneath for 14. The owner
(Lars) is Danish and will ski with you sometimes. His housekeeper
Franscoise speaks good english too, and will certainly look after you!
Problem is that its a bit late now and you might not get in.

Yes, at this late stage beggars can't be choosers :-(

The village iself is not very big however, and occasional skiiers
might find themselves jumping the train (very picturesque route) back
to chamonix to find other things to do.

Sounds good.

If its a warm christmas, then
Argentiere is not far away, giving access to the Grand Montets....best
chance of good snow but a bit of a looney's playground! (zzzip,
zzzip...zzzzzippp)

Not so good :-(

Old October 13th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
French_Skier

Geneva has best links from Scotland. Try resorts like Samoens, Les
Carroz or Saint-Gervais all within about 1 hour from Geneva. Grand
Massif resiorts have superb snow record (check Flaine on Ski Club
website www.skiclub.co.uk) otherwise try Peak Retreats
www.peakretreats.co.uk who do these.