Condition in St Anton

Old January 30th 04, 07:16 PM
Chris Stringer

Default Condition in St Anton

Hello,

I am headed to St Anton, Austria next Wed. morning. It will be my
first time riding in the Austrian alps. Can anybody give me
suggestions on the best spots to hit, places to party, etc? How are
the conditions? I'm looking for advanced to expert terrain,
perferably off-piste, but I'm up for anything. I have heard that
there are some very dangerous avalanche conditions over there at the
moment, so I'm a bit sketched about exploring without knowing the lay
of the land.

Thanks.

Chris Stringer
RDCShop.com Online Board Shop
Bend Ski and Board Sport
1009 NW Galveston
Bend, OR 97701
Email:
Web:
http://www.rdcshop.com
Toll Free Phone: 1.877.BEND.SKI
Old January 30th 04, 09:40 PM
Ian Turek

I just returned a week ago.

Two days with poor visibiluty and heavy snowfalls and the rest of the week
with great clear skies and powder conditions.

The greatest runs for us were dashed (unprepared) red and black ski routes.
Ski pistes were either groomed or not chalenging enough (with exception of
some black ones).

We never made it onto high-alpine touring runs as we did not have guideand
the avalanche level was around 4.

Nice runs on Rendl side - not labeled side east of Riffel I and R5
Gampen and Kapal was so so only (with xception of 33)
Very nice runs of Schindler Spitze (15 and 15a)

As far as restaurants, all local cousine are great. One of them was
Schindler. Another one was just below the Schindel entry from the creak
side. Tiny rustic place some 200 meters past the church on the left hand
side (I think it was called Einkehr). Another one was train (or at least
the section above ground - could be names something else)

Bars on slopes were great. Good food and drinks. In the twon we did
Scotty's, Underground, Piccodilly (good from 4:30 or so till 8 or so),
Kandahar (fun starts past 1 AM), Bobos (good between Picodilly and
Kandahar). You have to flow with the crows or will be left in empty bars.

Credit cards are not accepted in many places.

St. Christop is good to be visited from slopes (nice ice bar at the base).
You can also visit Stuben directly on board by hitting 17 + 1.

We went to Lech and area and there were some nice powder runs in there too.

Have fun

Ian

om...