It's over. :-(

Old July 2nd 03, 10:05 PM
Mike Speegle

Default It's over. :-(

Colorado ski season has closed.

[from Pali's Pitch e-mail notice this afternoon]
Closing day, Wednesday, july 2

The 2002-2003 ski season has come to an end. Mother Nature has made the
decision to end the 02-03 Colorado ski season today, July 2. We were
totally optimistic about making it until the 4th but the last few day of
hot temperatures made it unrealistic. We figured it wasn't something to
promote when our loyal riders and skiers had to hike to the base of the
lift every run. As luck would have it Arapahoe Sports has just received
a shipment of commemorative 2002-2003 season tee-shirts. If you feel
(like we do) that the Basin has had an epic 2002-2003 season, head to
our web site a little bit later this summer and you can purchase one.
--?
Mike
"Colorado Ski Country, USA" Come often, Ski hard,
Spend *lots* of money, Then leave as quickly as you can.
Rec.Skiing.Alpine.Moderated is up and working! Join in!

Old July 2nd 03, 10:53 PM
Sam Seiber

Mike Speegle wrote:

[...]

Damn, sad news indeed.
Not much of a suprise. I have been monitoring the Loveland cam,
and the white part would get a little smaller each update.
Now what the hell am I going to do this weekend?
Hey, Mike, thanks for the update.

16 weeks of waiting for Loveland to open. I think I can make it.
Sam
Old July 3rd 03, 03:58 PM
Bruno Melli

In article ,
Sam Seiber writes:
Now what the hell am I going to do this weekend?

You could always come and ski Sundance on Saturday...
http://www.peakpeak.com/~bruno/chalet/sundance.jpg

bruno.
Old July 6th 03, 03:04 PM
Let Mikey Ski It!

uglymoney wrote:
Hope ya all have fun traveling hundreds of miles to ski a
few hundred yards of snow!...

Not that Sundance. Sundance Mountain, Rocky Mountain National Park,
Colorado.

This is what Bruno and I did yesterday (5 July) while you all were enjoying
the heat:

http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/Tem...oSundance2.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/Tem...oSundance3.jpg

More of a trip report soon,

Mike...

--
Littleton, Colorado (reply to msaemisch at yahoo dot com)
See my ski photography at: http://PowderDay.us

Old July 8th 03, 08:47 PM
suds

"uglymoney" wrote in message
news

Quite literally actually. But it was all good sitting in my
Mastercraft, tied up to a Nautique, and a Ski Centurion, and
about 100 other boats, while listening to a band play on top
of a houseboat, gals that were having trouble keeping their
tops on, framed by the houseless limestone bluffs that line
the lake, and enough cheap cold beer to keep a Bud Light fan
happy for years.

http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/Tem...oSundance2.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/Tem...oSundance3.jpg

More of a trip report soon,

Nice pics. Seems like a very long run.

You people need to see the sun more often. You sound like kids just
learning about sex. LOL

suds (who hasn't skied a day since moving from Denver to Hawai'i 10 months
ago but he still likes to drop in and hear you all bitch about the crowds,
costs, long drives, etc.)

Old July 9th 03, 08:34 AM
Chuck

"suds" sudsysadie@hawaii{is the #1 state for Spam eaters}.rr.com wrote
in :

"uglymoney" wrote in message
[...]

What, there's no snow on the volcano?
Old July 10th 03, 08:07 AM
suds

"Chuck" wrote in message

What, there's no snow on the volcano?

Oh, sorry, I didn't mention that I live on Oahu. No snow here. Our most
recent volcano was what you know as "Diamond Head." It's last eruption was
~250k years ago.

However, the Big Island of Hawai'i has two volcanoes: one active, one
dormant, that reach almost 14,000ft and are occasionally covered in snow.
In fact, "Mauna Kea," at 13796 ft, literally means "White Mountain." It's a
pretty d@mn impressive site. I lived in CO for many years and the 14ners
there were always beautiful to look at but considering that you are already
standing at 5-6k ft when you are looking at them... Now come out here and
stand on the shore or, better yet, on a boat a few miles off shore, and look
at mountains rising 14k feet right up out of the ocean... Not only that,
but these mountains are rising miles from the ocean floor. Measured from
the ocean floor, they are by far the tallest mountains on earth.

No skiing but really good diving, sailing, kayaking, surfing, ... anything
to do with water sports...

suds