Is June Mt. Dead?

Old June 29th 12, 06:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Is June Mt. Dead?

On 2012-06-28 05:41:01 +0000, Richard Henry said:

and I will probably sleep at least one night in the back of
my pickup, traveling at night to avoid the daytime desert heat.

It is not that hot up 395, I would just try to hit Mojave early AM, and
the worse is over by Big Pine..

*I think I rather drive in heat, than drive up 395 at night.

* Death Valley in the summer, well that is different. *It is to me
equivalent of driving to the arctic in the winter, given it can be as
life threatening.

If I leave home the evening iof the 9th, I can get up the Owens Valley
before dawn. *i plan to go early enough for a natural history sidetrip
I have long planned, up the White Mountains east of Big Pine and
Bishop to the Ancient Britlecone Pine groves. * sleeping will be in
the truck as necessary.

Are you planning to take the Jeep Trails to or around 11k up the Whites
to see the Pines?

I remember reading a story about a USFS Ranger or NPS rangers in the
1950s or 1960s who either cut down a Bristlecone Pine or killed it to
get a core sample and was shocked when they realized they cut down one
of oldest living things on the planet.

* I would probably leave early enough to get past Victorville and
Ridgecrest before it heats up, and I think the heat dies down as one
passes the semi ghost town of Olancha, and one gradually climbs to 4k
in elevation..

On your link that you post on June Lake Rodeo Grounds. *I am guessing
that MMSA/Starwood needs cash, and needs it before the start of the
next season. *80 or so acres is nice and all but $2.9 million is way,
way overpriced if there are no water rights or no increase in the water
usage. The only client that I can see buying that without wanting to
develop it into something big is the Department of Defense.- Hide quoted text -

The tree in question was in Nevada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus_(tree)

In 1985, Dave McCoy bought June Mt because he ran ski areas for a
living. He had impossibly-great dreams to connect it eventually to
Mammoth through a series of lift s and trails across 6 or so miles of
lifts and trails. It was also useful as a site for snowboarders who
were not allowed at MM at that time.

In the 90's McCoy started selling off pieces of MM to Intrawest. They
wre more in the business of developing eral estate next to resorts, so
they initiated what became the Village in Mammoth Lakes and bought and
swapped land across the road from June withe same object in mind.
However, they proposed a 6-story plus 2 parking ;levels in a little
town that doesn;t even have any buildings over three stories. Local
resistance plus a declining RE market killed that off.
Old June 29th 12, 08:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 19:13:36 -0700 (PDT), twobuddha
wrote this crap:

On Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:56:14 PM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 13:40:19 -0700 (PDT), twobuddha
wrote this crap:

From what I hear, Ashley entertained every soldier and sailor she met.

Did your mother tell you that? She was jealous.

You're showing YOUR jealousy, since you might
be the only soldier she didn't bone. Too bad.
She looks like a monkey, and you love ****ing monkeys.

Is that why your mother keeps calling me?

No, wait. She keeps ****ing you.

Vote for Romney. Repeal the nightmares.
Old June 29th 12, 08:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 19:14:24 -0700 (PDT), twobuddha
wrote this crap:

On Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:53:06 PM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 13:34:24 -0700 (PDT), Richard Henry

wrote this crap:

I should introduce you to the Army.

Or the Navy--

Remember Autovon?

Duh? I was in the Signal Corpse. We would call ourselves around the
world just to see if it was working properly.

I ordered a pizza once from a bivouac site. They wouldn't deliver even
when I told them the evening password.\

As I thought. Horvath was a telephone operator.
The great Hungarian dial tone guy.

I operated on telephones, radios, RATT vans and anything in
communications. In a few weeks I'm giving a class to pilots at the
airport on radio procedure.

Vote for Romney. Repeal the nightmares.
Old June 29th 12, 04:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

wrote this crap:

I should introduce you to the Army.

Or the Navy--

Remember Autovon?

Duh? I was in the Signal Corpse. We would call ourselves around the
world just to see if it was working properly.

I ordered a pizza once from a bivouac site. They wouldn't deliver even
when I told them the evening password.\

As I thought. Horvath was a telephone operator.
The great Hungarian dial tone guy.

I operated on telephones, radios, RATT vans and anything in
communications. In a few weeks I'm giving a class to pilots at the
airport on radio procedure.

As I thought. The Mighty Hungarian REMF telephone operator. Hey, when you give a class to pilots, are you going to teach them how to change your diapers?

Old June 29th 12, 09:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Jun 22, 9:44*pm, Richard Henry wrote:
Radio interview with MMSA GM Rusty Gregory--

http://kiwi6.com/file/71r8xi2481

Email from MMSA CEO

As a Mammoth Value Pass member I want to inform you personally of a
very difficult decision I made last week. After a great deal of
thought and deliberation precipitated by this year's drought and weak
market demand, I have decided not to open June Mountain for operations
this summer and the following winter.
June Mountain was purchased by Mammoth Mountain Ski Area in 1986. As
you undoubtedly know, it is an intimate and relaxed ski resort of a
bygone era, located in one of the most beautiful settings in the
Eastern Sierra. Despite these natural attributes and our best efforts
over the last 26 years, we have been unable to attract the number of
skiers and riders required for June Mountain to sustain itself. Over
the last several years, which have been marked by global financial
crisis, recession and droughts, ticket and pass sales have slipped
steadily from 80,000-100,000 to an average of 35,000-45,000 per
winter.

As much as I believe that June Mountain can be a viable and successful
mountain resort, it is clear this will not happen by continuing to
operate the ski area the same way we have been for 26 years and hoping
for a different result. It is time to redirect some of the annual
subsidy June requires to investment in the analysis and planning
required to correctly position June Mountain for a sustainable future,
then to do the work to secure the regulatory approvals and financing
required to create it.

Your MVP membership purchased this spring includes lift privileges at
June Mountain for winter 2012-13. The purpose of this letter is
twofold: 1. I want to be open and transparent about my decisions,
especially the difficult ones; 2. I want you to know I am acutely
aware that you bought your MVP membership believing that June Mountain
would be in full operation. We will provide a full and immediate
refund to any 2012-13 MVP member, upon request during the month of
July, who would like to reverse their purchase because of my decision
not to open June Mountain this summer and next winter. Please refer to
the refund instructions on our website for details on how to receive a
refund.

I have said many times MVP members are our most important guests. It
is my intent to be personally accountable to you for my actions and
decisions as the CEO of MMSA. If you have any questions or comments
please call me personally on my direct line at 760.934.0731.
Old June 29th 12, 10:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Today's Mammoth Times news

http://www.mammothtimes.com/content/...d-facts-sooner

With all the talk about other parties buying June Mountain (see
accompanying story on p.1), with the emerging protests, the bottom
line is June Mountain is built on land that does not belong to any
single person. Every citizen in the country owns it. It is not private
land, but public land.

The only thing MMSA owns is the developed properties on the mountain.

The ski area was built before WWII on United States Forest Service
Inyo National Forest land. Today, MMSA holds what is known as a
“special use permit” that allows it to operate a ski area on federal
land. Gregory signed it on Jan. 2, 2006, and it is good for 50 years.

The catch is that the permit is valid only if MMSA operates the ski
area under the criteria and conditions established by the Forest
Service.

The permit is 16 pages and makes clear that in the end, what the Inyo
National Forest giveth, the Inyo National forest can taketh away.

“This use (as a ski area) shall normally be exercised at least 365
days a year or season,” the permit reads. “Failure of the holder to
exercise this minimum use may result in termination…”

The permit further reads: “The Forest Service may suspend or revoke
this permit in whole or part” for several reasons, including “failure
of the holder to exercise the privileges granted by this permit,”
amidst other reasons.

Nancy Upham, the public information officer for the forest, said
Thursday that every permit is dealt with on a case-by-case basis. That
means sitting down and talking to Gregory and/or other MMSA
representatives.

“We need to discuss this with them, understand their plans and know
that they fully understand that their permitted use could be
terminated,” she said, adding that the meeting would probably not
occur until the week of July 9, since both Gregory and the forest’s
supervisor, Ed Armenta, are out of the area until that week.
Old June 30th 12, 05:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 06/28/2012 10:31 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

On 06/28/2012 09:45 PM, comadrejo wrote:

I remember reading a story about a USFS Ranger or NPS rangers in the
1950s or 1960s who either cut down a Bristlecone Pine or killed it to
get a core sample and was shocked when they realized they cut down one
of oldest living things on the planet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_R._Currey

He was a ****ing STUDENT. Died in 2004 at the age of 70. Not soon
enough. You just aren't allowed to be that stupid.

That's horrible. I think the FS tries to keep the location reasonably
secret. The fact that some creosote bushes might be much older is no
consolation; bristlecones are much prettier than creosote bushes.

--
Cheers, Bev
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Old June 30th 12, 03:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Friday, June 29, 2012 10:18:06 PM UTC-7, The Real Bev wrote:
On 06/28/2012 10:31 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

On 06/28/2012 09:45 PM, comadrejo wrote:

I remember reading a story about a USFS Ranger or NPS rangers in the
1950s or 1960s who either cut down a Bristlecone Pine or killed it to
get a core sample and was shocked when they realized they cut down one
of oldest living things on the planet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_R._Currey

He was a ****ing STUDENT. Died in 2004 at the age of 70. Not soon
enough. You just aren't allowed to be that stupid.

Really? Then why are you still alive? You're a psychopathic pathological liar who hangs out on rsa. Stupid is as stupid does.
Want to tell me again how death threats don't count if nobody tries to kill me? ****, that's stupid.
To clinch the argument, you are a teabagger. Why aren't you dead? Just asking.
Old July 4th 12, 04:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Mono County Supervisors meeting included reports and cmments on June
Mt closure

http://thesheetnews.com/archives/14474

Old July 11th 12, 05:44 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Tonight I attended the June Lake commnity meeting where Rusty Gregory
addressed the community and opened himself up to all comments and
questions. The community cneter meeting room was overlowing, the
adjacent kitchen was filled with chairs, as was the smaller meeting
room. There were people standing around outside listening as well.

The high point of the meeting was when Bud Hayward, the original
operator of June Mountain, got up to speak, even though he said he was
not interested in taking over the mountain again.

The low point of the meeting came when Rusty Gregory (CEO of MMSA,
plus part owner and one of the junior creditors) told the crowd they
needed to get off their asses and support air service.

The head of Inyo National Forest announced that he is serving MMSA
with a letter of non-compliance of their operating permit. That got a
big cheer.

The mpost interesting part to me was when Gregory got up to speak for
abut the third time. He presented some summary financials -

MMSA business plan is to earn about $45 million/year after direct
expenses. $17 million goes to interest on their long-term debt, $10
million to paying down the debt, and about $10 million to capital
replacements and improvements.

In 2011-12 MMSA made only about $23 million. They were about to go
into default on their debt payments, but Wells Fargo Bank, their
biggest lender proposed a restructuring of the debt if the other 5
banks involved would agree. With a week to go before the banks called
the loan, the other banks demanded that expenses be cut further in
order for them to go along with the new debt plan. Closing June
Mountain for the upcoming season was how that was done.