Murren - The removal of the Lauterbrunnen funicular

Old May 16th 06, 08:43 PM

Default Murren - The removal of the Lauterbrunnen funicular

Heres the link to the Jungfraubahn website picture gallery showing the
removal of the funicular to make way for the new cablecar.

http://www.jungfraubahn.ch/en/Deskto.../383_read-6263

and webcam -

http://w3.jungfraubahn.ch/webcam

The end of an era

Old May 16th 06, 09:05 PM

On 16 May 2006 13:43:42 -0700, "Jerseybean"
wrote:

Heres the link to the Jungfraubahn website picture gallery showing the
removal of the funicular to make way for the new cablecar.

http://www.jungfraubahn.ch/en/Deskto.../383_read-6263

and webcam -

http://w3.jungfraubahn.ch/webcam

Funny, though the crane is right in the foreground, it took me a
moment to figure out what was supporting the funicular car.

sigh
Another place I haven't been but intend to one day.

--
-Pip
Old May 16th 06, 09:05 PM

wrote:

Heres the link to the Jungfraubahn website picture gallery showing the
removal of the funicular to make way for the new cablecar.

http://www.jungfraubahn.ch/en/Deskto.../383_read-6263

and webcam -

http://w3.jungfraubahn.ch/webcam

Funny, though the crane is right in the foreground, it took me a
moment to figure out what was supporting the funicular car.

sigh
Another place I haven't been but intend to one day.

So many resorts, so little time, eh?

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old May 17th 06, 12:23 AM

wrote:
Heres the link to the Jungfraubahn website picture gallery showing the
removal of the funicular to make way for the new cablecar.

Another place I haven't been but intend to one day.

So many resorts, so little time, eh?

Yep.

So true.

Saw it at least.

Until the next ski trip to the Berner Oberland.

Old May 23rd 06, 09:04 PM

"Eugene Miya" wrote in message
wrote:
Heres the link to the Jungfraubahn website picture gallery showing the
removal of the funicular to make way for the new cablecar.
Another place I haven't been but intend to one day.

So many resorts, so little time, eh?

Yep.

So true.

Saw it at least.

Until the next ski trip to the Berner Oberland.

On leaving university in '78 I went camping around Europe. Apart from all
the sunny bits around the south of France and Italy, I had two objectives:
to see Matthorn and Eiger. Since then I have visited Lauterbrunnen and
Zermatt almost yearly.

On lazy days, a trip up to Grütschalp on the furnicular was really enjoyable
(as is the panoramaweg to Mürren). Personally, I will be miss the frnicular,
it added a touch of class and nostalgia. Afterall, the postbus to
Stechelberg offers the fastest route upto Mürren via the cable car.

As for the skiing well, I would normally stay in Wengen, and would only
trip over to Mürren once in a week. I like Mürren, but a single day there is
enough for me. I prefer Mürren as a summer resort.

Paul

Old May 23rd 06, 10:05 PM

Felly sgrifennodd PSmith :
I like Mürren, but a single day there is
enough for me. I prefer Mürren as a summer resort.

For its size, Muerren has more varied skiing though, from the blacks of the
Schilthorn, Kanonenrohr and off the side of the Schiltgrad (a genuine
black sometimes man-size mogil field), through the reds of Winteregg and
Gimmeln through to the Winteregg, Maulerhubel and Gimmeln blues, not to
mention the off-piste tree route down to the Winteregg chair. And somehow
the snow often seems better, even on the lower slopes of Muerren.

Wengen often seems like much of the same sort of skiing to me wherever
you go: blue-red pistes with no great challenge or surprises.

The restaurants (apart from the Suppenalp where they try to be far too snobby)
are also generally better at Muerren.

Having said that, provided the snow is good enough, the runs from Scheidegg
down to Grund are fairly spectacular, my favourite being the Tschueggen.

We stay in Lauterbrunnen and split our time fairly evenly between the two.

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old May 24th 06, 06:12 PM

Staying in Lauterbrunnen does give you the best location for both
resorts & better value than the resorts. With the cablecar in action
this coming season to Grutschalp it will only take you less than 10
minutes to ski in Murren !!

I personally prefer to stay 'up' in the mountains away from it all and
hardly visit Wengen to ski as i always find Murren more than adequate.

Adrian D. Shaw wrote:
Felly sgrifennodd PSmith :
I like M=FCrren, but a single day there is
enough for me. I prefer M=FCrren as a summer resort.

Old May 24th 06, 06:19 PM

I mentioned in an early post that the Engetal T-bar was being
replaced.Well i have found out that it will be four seater Chair not a
2str and it will start near the bottom station of the Muttlern chair.

They will also be widening the Freeride(in the forest) from Gimmelen to
Gimmelwald...

All good news for Murren !!

Old May 24th 06, 06:33 PM

Expired on my server, I have to go to the archive on google as I was
fond of this thread.

Paul noted:
On leaving university in '78 I went camping around Europe. Apart from all
the sunny bits around the south of France and Italy, I had two
objectives:
to see Matterhorn and Eiger. Since then I have visited Lauterbrunnen and
Zermatt almost yearly.

Me, too on my first trip to Europe. Now I work with the Swiss Fed. Govt.
Life is weird. The first trip I had finished a meeting in DC flew to
Zurich from a cancelled SwissAir flt to Sabena (never heard of them
until that day) to Brussels than on to ZRH. I landed, I had no idea
where I wanted to vacation (this ws Dec. in the off season).
When I got my first train ticket (a needless 1st class, but what the
hell it was vacation) and asked where? I blurted out Interlaken.
And as the SBB left ZRH and I looked out the window at the Swiss
grafitti I realized the inadequacy of travel guides. Now my Swiss
friends send their Swiss friends to me for travel advice in their own
country (that is too weird). Trips 1 & 2 had 5 days of skiing including
one Italian night based in Zermatt. I like the place, but its expensive
and I think I've spent enough money there. The vertical and horizontal
descent distances are worth a trip alone if pricey.

Leukerbad on the other hand,
for relaxing with a little skiing, can take more of my money.

I do have to get back to the Oberner Oberland.

Personally, I will be miss the frnicular,

I never had the chance.
it added a touch of class and nostalgia. Afterall, the postbus to
Stechelberg offers the fastest route upto Mürren via the cable car.

I liked the bus and car, but I got routed that way.

As for the skiing well, I would normally stay in Wengen, and would only
trip over to Mürren once in a week. I like Mürren, but a single
day there is enough for me. I prefer Mürren as a summer resort.

Because of the Eiger, and my friendship with Harlin's son in college,
and reading the various stories I do plan to go back. The first trip
just to see from the Observatorium was a cloudy disaster. Now I have an
invite to stay as a scientific colleague which I look forward to.
Trip 2 I stayed in Grindelwald which is a bit touristy for my taste.

Scheidegg was where I stayed after 2 nites in Interlaken and also 1 nite
staging out and doing tourism in Berne (a nice distance away from
Berne by train). Excepting that I do want to sample First and Murren
I hope to hang luggage in Kleine Scheidegg again some way.
But I will also try to do at least a night in Murren because of
logistics. Wengen had no specific interest to me for staying there.

Adrian wrote:
somehow the snow often seems better, even on the lower slopes of Muerren.

My reasons for staying in Murren include a friends remote family name.
There is a hotel there which I have to stay at because of that.
My baggage.

Wengen often seems like much of the same sort of skiing to me wherever
you go: blue-red pistes with no great challenge or surprises.

Largely beginning skiing.

Having said that, provided the snow is good enough, the runs from
Scheidegg down to Grund are fairly spectacular,

On a clear day, but also there are enough trees a cloudy snowy day is
not bad.

We stay in Lauterbrunnen and split our time fairly evenly between the two.

I debate staying there as well.

Old May 24th 06, 07:56 PM

To get the best upto date information on the Jungfrau region or
anything to do with the skiing.....ask a snowhead at www.snowheads.com