Avalanche knocks skier off lift

Old January 10th 05, 07:09 PM
TexasSkiNut

Default Avalanche knocks skier off lift

On a different thread, Kurt Knisely wrote:
Do they tell you that you can die in an avalanche
while riding a lift in Vegas?

http://www.avalanche.org/av-reports/proc-show.php3?OID=5406924

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2005/Jan-10-Mon-2005/news/25633446.html

This is just about the most bizzare inbounds avalanche story I've ever
heard.

Old January 11th 05, 01:14 AM
Let Mikey Ski It!

Kurt Knisely wrote:
... I'm still wondering what really happened? ...

We'll probably never hear. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Mike...

--
See my ski photography and Breckenridge photoblog at:
http://PowderDay.us
Old January 11th 05, 01:46 AM
ant

"Kurt Knisely" wrote in message
In article . com,
TexasSkiNut
says...

This is just about the most bizzare inbounds avalanche story I've ever
heard.

No ****. I'm still wondering what really happened? I heard some trees
were
brought down, but why weren't the entire lift/chair/lift towers? Truly
bizarre
stuff happens in Vegas.

Our supe told us about it today, it happened. Knocked him off the chair he
was riding on and carried him away.

ant

Old January 11th 05, 06:30 AM
Richard Henry

"ant" wrote in message

"Kurt Knisely" wrote in message
In article . com,
TexasSkiNut
says...

This is just about the most bizzare inbounds avalanche story I've ever
heard.

No ****. I'm still wondering what really happened? I heard some trees
were
brought down, but why weren't the entire lift/chair/lift towers? Truly
bizarre
stuff happens in Vegas.

Our supe told us about it today, it happened. Knocked him off the chair he
was riding on and carried him away.

And yet the lift was apparently undamaged, and started up again a few
minutes later.

I remember a few years back when a "hard" avalanche (chunks of cornice) ran
down from the upper ridge at Mammoth and took out the top tower of one of
the beginner lifts.

Old January 11th 05, 01:52 PM
Chuck

ant wrote:
"Kurt Knisely" wrote in message

In article . com,
TexasSkiNut
says...

This is just about the most bizzare inbounds avalanche story I've ever
heard.

No ****. I'm still wondering what really happened? I heard some trees
were
brought down, but why weren't the entire lift/chair/lift towers? Truly
bizarre
stuff happens in Vegas.

Our supe told us about it today, it happened. Knocked him off the chair he
was riding on and carried him away.

ant

Did he have the safety bar down?
--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"
Old January 11th 05, 03:26 PM
TexasSkiNut

Chuck asked:
Did he have the safety bar down?

According to one of the news articles:
"The unidentified person tried to grasp a bar designed to secure skiers
to the lift, but the snow carried him away."

Old January 12th 05, 03:18 AM
Wayne Decker

Is anyone on the list acutally familiar with this resort? Everyone I know
from LV comes here and doesn't have much to say about it When I ask they
usually say "don't bother"

--
I ski, therefore I am
ups.com...