Jackson (and Utah) mid-trip report

Old March 23rd 05, 04:02 PM
MattB

Armin wrote:
snip

Like I said before, there's your problem... you need some new
"painless" alpine boots. I buckle mine up in the morning and don't
touch them again until it's time to go home. Both my AT and my regular
alpine boots. Actually, both pair are easier on my feet than my tele
boots which sometimes give me blisters (unless I duct tape my heels) on
longer tours. Then again, new tele boots would probably solve that
problem.

BTW, thanks for the invitation. Never been there but if I ever get down
that way I'll be sure take you up on the offer... as long as it's
followed by copious amounts of beer. And no, Coors is not real beer,
and neither is Molsons. ;-)

Likewise, if you ever get up to the Kootenays let me know and we'll do
a tour followed by some of our local brews.

Oh, and when it comes to the Training-Binding/Pinhead razzing, try to
remember the words of the immortal Foghorn Leghorn: "Hey that's a joke
son, don't ya get it?"

http://www3.telus.net/armin/fogleg21.wav

A.

I get it, but I can't let a dig go un-countered, joke or not. That would
be an (implied) admission of, well, something that's not true. I hear
your tone and I think we have an understanding.
And yes, I realize my painful Alpine boots are a problem (well not so
much if they just stay in the closet). I've been meaning to go back to
the fitter and get my Dynafit liners re-cooked. That's probably all it
will take, but this has forced me out of my comfort zone and into
freeheeling on everything I ski. It's been a positive growth for me and
I'm definitely stronger for it.
And yes, Coors is crap and I'd only rate Molson about one (small) notch
higher. I'll drink Molson in cans on the river if it's really cold and
I'm really thirsty. That's about it. I can't even say that for Coors
(maybe if I was thirsty enough and faced with no better options but it
would have to be a dire emergency).
I'll let you know if I'm ever in your area too.

Matt

Old March 23rd 05, 05:13 PM
Armin

klaus wrote:

You do realize that Coors bought Molson?

That must be the American spin. I think officially they "merged". But
we shouldn't feel too bad I suppose, I hear the new company is called
Molson-Coors. They gave us top billing:

http://www.molsoncoors.com/

Of course CrappyBeer + CrappyBeer = CrappyBeer.

But so much for the classic "I am Canadian" commercials", eh?

Oh, and when it comes to the Training-Binding/Pinhead razzing, try

remember the words of the immortal Foghorn Leghorn: "Hey that's a

joke
son, don't ya get it?"

Well, it's not very funny. It's like making fun of someone's

handicap.

Good on ya! Admitting you have a problem is the first step on the road
to recovery... ;-)

ObSnow: Wow... nice one coming through right now. Kinda heavy so far,
but the next 1.5 to 2 feet should be lighter, so tomorrow will be

very
nice. I'm coming up on max snowpack for the year again. And it is
really coming down fast. But it kinda sounds like a war zone. They're
working hard up on The Paper Route. Back in the flow...

After dumping 50cm on us we are now back to blue sky and sunshine.
Things are looking up for the weekend though, more precip predicted.
Let's hope they're right for a change.

A.

Old March 23rd 05, 05:39 PM
Armin

MattB wrote:

I get it, but I can't let a dig go un-countered, joke or not. That

would
be an (implied) admission of, well, something that's not true. I hear

your tone and I think we have an understanding.

Hey , I really don't care what the other guy has strapped to his feet.
Besides, the razzing goes both ways... else it wouldn't be any fun.

And yes, I realize my painful Alpine boots are a problem (well not so

much if they just stay in the closet). I've been meaning to go back

the fitter and get my Dynafit liners re-cooked. That's probably all

it
will take, but this has forced me out of my comfort zone and into
freeheeling on everything I ski. It's been a positive growth for me

and
I'm definitely stronger for it.

I think it definitely takes more muscle-per-vertical-foot to ski tele
turns. However, I see a LOT of tele skiers using parallel turn instead,
and not just because they can't make tele turns.

Having hauled my share of heavy multi-day packs while on tele gear, I
can vouch for the fact that it also forces one to fine-tune their
fore/aft balance skills as well.

And yes, Coors is crap and I'd only rate Molson about one (small)

notch
higher. I'll drink Molson in cans on the river if it's really cold

and
I'm really thirsty. That's about it. I can't even say that for Coors
(maybe if I was thirsty enough and faced with no better options but

it
would have to be a dire emergency).

I think your being too generous with your assesment of Molson. ;-)

I'll let you know if I'm ever in your area too.

:-)

A.

Old March 23rd 05, 06:08 PM
klaus

In rec.skiing.alpine Armin wrote:

That must be the American spin. I think officially they "merged". But
we shouldn't feel too bad I suppose, I hear the new company is called
Molson-Coors. They gave us top billing:

Oh.. I dunno:

"Molson shareholders of record at close of business on February 8,
2005, were eligible to receive a CDN $5.44 special dividend as part of
the transaction."

http://www.molsoncoors.com/press/02_09_05.html

Sounds like Coors bought Molson for CDN $5.44 a share premium. or
about two beers. The Emericun spin is that if you pay for it, you
bought it. What is it in Canada? You will be assimilated. Get used to
it, eh?

You guys still have better... ugh.. agricultural products. But we'll
get that, too.

Yah.. and Fausters is Australian for ****.

Good on ya! Admitting you have a problem is the first step on the road
to recovery... ;-)

I have a problem but no desire for recovery. Does that make me a bad person?

After dumping 50cm on us we are now back to blue sky and sunshine.
Things are looking up for the weekend though, more precip predicted.
Let's hope they're right for a change.

It slowed here but is supposed to pick up again around dark. I think
we'll hit 600 inches season total by the end of the week. That's 20%
above average. We'll see if the avalanche hazard comes down from
Obscene in the next few days.

-klaus

Old March 23rd 05, 06:36 PM
klaus

In rec.skiing.alpine John Red-Horse wrote:

Finally, I recommend that we all accept that you are definitely one of the
clued-in Northerners when it comes to beer. If you drive when you come
down, be sure to bring Klaus some of that NBC IPA; he'll understand what I
mean.

Mmmmmmmm.. IPA.. Door's open. Will trade bed space for IPA.

-klaus

Old March 23rd 05, 08:24 PM
Armin

John Red-Horse wrote:

Ah, Armin, you've finally let the cat out of the bag! Now I know why

you
get such singular pleasure out of watching us less-than-accomplished
flip-floppers in "action".

If you tell my AT buddies I'll deny everything!

I've got a couple of pieces of advice, fwtw: (1) If you get extended

the
invitation, go to the trouble of taking him up on it; and, (2) Never

using
adjectives like "copious" in the same sentence with "beer" with

Klaus.
It is one of the times that he will take things literally... g

If he tries to drink too copious an amount of my beer I'll have to
distract him with ... ugh.. argicultural products. I get the feeling he
might have a certain affinity for them.

Finally, I recommend that we all accept that you are definitely one

of the
clued-in Northerners when it comes to beer. If you drive when you

come
down, be sure to bring Klaus some of that NBC IPA; he'll understand

what I
mean.

.... or if you guys should come up here again I believe it's my turn to
buy the first pitcher or two.

A.

Old March 23rd 05, 09:02 PM
Armin

klaus wrote:
In rec.skiing.alpine Armin wrote:

That must be the American spin. I think officially they "merged".

But
we shouldn't feel too bad I suppose, I hear the new company is

called
Molson-Coors. They gave us top billing:

Oh.. I dunno:

"Molson shareholders of record at close of business on February 8,
2005, were eligible to receive a CDN $5.44 special dividend as part

of
the transaction."

http://www.molsoncoors.com/press/02_09_05.html

You 'merkins are all the same... you just hear what you want to hear.
;-)
So what part of "merger of equals" didn't you understand? From the same
press release:

"MONTREAL, Canada and GOLDEN, Colorado, Feb. 9 / - Molson Inc. (TSX:
MOL.A) and Adolph Coors Company (NYSE: RKY) today announced that they
have completed the transaction announced on July 22, 2004 to combine
Molson and Coors in a merger of equals."

You must be using the George W. Bush foreign diplomacy definition of
"equals".

Sounds like Coors bought Molson for CDN $5.44 a share premium. or
about two beers.

They paid too much.

The Emericun spin is that if you pay for it, you
bought it.

I thought the Emericun spin was "If you want it you just roll in with
the heavy artillery and take it." :-)

What is it in Canada?

See above

You will be assimilated. Get used to it, eh?

As long as we can have 7of9 you can have all the breweries you want.

You guys still have better... ugh.. agricultural products. But we'll
get that, too.

Hey, we've already sent you our mad cows but you'll have to rip the
other... ugh.. agricultural products from our cold dead hands!!!

Good on ya! Admitting you have a problem is the first step on the

road
to recovery... ;-)

I have a problem but no desire for recovery. Does that make me a bad

person?

No, just an entertaining one.

A.

Old March 23rd 05, 09:34 PM
klaus

In rec.skiing.alpine Armin wrote:

You 'merkins are all the same... you just hear what you want to hear.
;-)
So what part of "merger of equals" didn't you understand? From the same
press release:

"MONTREAL, Canada and GOLDEN, Colorado, Feb. 9 / - Molson Inc. (TSX:
MOL.A) and Adolph Coors Company (NYSE: RKY) today announced that they
have completed the transaction announced on July 22, 2004 to combine
Molson and Coors in a merger of equals."

What part didn't I understand? The part where the Molson holders got
CDN $5.44. Equals? Tell yah what.. got any of those Molson shares,
I'll trade yah straight across, since we're equal and all that.. Coors
was just being polite.. them 'feriners, they like those greenbacks and
being called equal. "yah.. we'll put your name first.. and give yah a
couple beers per share.. how's that?? ok.. sign right
here.... No... there... that's right.. a little X will do.. Thank
you.... Neighbor.

You must be using the George W. Bush foreign diplomacy definition of
"equals".

Naw. I'm using CDN $5.44. Which ain't much.. what $1.65 U.S.? But it
still ain't equal.

No ****.

The Emericun spin is that if you pay for it, you
bought it.

I thought the Emericun spin was "If you want it you just roll in with
the heavy artillery and take it." :-)

Not really, otherwise, you guys would be having squabbles with
Montreal over who would get the greatest advantage in the next
U.S. sponsored elections. Right now you're just squabbling over
whether getting CDN $5.44 a share is being "bought out". That's what we
'mericuns call being neighborly. Neighbor!

What is it in Canada?

See above

How far above? Greenland?

You will be assimilated. Get used to it, eh?

As long as we can have 7of9 you can have all the breweries you want.

Enlighten me. I'm familiar with 1in10 but not 7of9. I'm Emericun.. I
know what happens next door, not way the f*ck up there. I know how
often Terri Shaivo menstruates, but I have no idea of the GNP of
Canada. Consider it a cultural deficiency.. kinda like drunken
Irishmen. Everyone loves them.

Really.. you *will* get used to it.

You guys still have better... ugh.. agricultural products. But we'll
get that, too.

Hey, we've already sent you our mad cows but you'll have to rip the
other... ugh.. agricultural products from our cold dead hands!!!

Screw the cows and sheep.. oh wait.. you're already doing that.

Good on ya! Admitting you have a problem is the first step on the

road
to recovery... ;-)

I have a problem but no desire for recovery. Does that make me a bad

person?

No, just an entertaining one.

Better than boring, eh?...

-klaus

Old March 23rd 05, 09:50 PM
klaus

In rec.skiing.alpine Armin wrote:

If he tries to drink too copious an amount of my beer I'll have to
distract him with ... ugh.. argicultural products. I get the feeling he
might have a certain affinity for them.

I absolutely lurv broccoli. Just the flowery parts. You can have the
stems. You guys grow *good* broccoli. *Good* broccoli. I'd trade Coors
for good broccoli. Yup. I would. Straight across. No premium. And I'd
feel really good about it. With hollandaise sauce?? Broccoli? I'd go
for a merger of equals on that. MMmmmmmm.... Broccoli....

-klaus

Old March 23rd 05, 09:55 PM
klaus

In rec.skiing.alpine Sven Golly wrote:
klaus wrote in :

Mmmmmmmm.. IPA.. Door's open. Will trade bed space for IPA.

Hey, you never said you like IPA. I woulda brought some Stone IPA or
Arrogant Bhastid last time.

IPA is great in Utah since they don't refrigerate the (real)
beer. Probably why I like it.

But, you have bed space anytime you show. Beer or not. You're paid
ahead.

-klaus