why it is illegal in USA

Old December 4th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

Default why it is illegal in USA

On Dec 3, 2:21 pm, "user" wrote:
Part 105 of the Federal Aviation Regulations prohibits skydiving in such a
way that might endager people or property (the skydiver is, of course,
excluded). The "suits" are not illegal, but conducting operations close to
people and structures is. The rule for aircraft is 500 feet of separation
from persons or property. I think the skydiver got much closer in Warren
Miller's film. In the US, this would be in violation of the regs. Europeans
tend to be much less frantic about these things... Just consider the
breeds accusations of insanity. Likewise, why put planks on your feet and
jump off a mountain? The reg for parachuters is cited below. Other
paragraphs in the section clarify the need for safety of people and property
not directly involved in the operation.

FAR Sec. 105.5 - General.

No person may conduct a parachute operation, and no pilot in command of an
aircraft may allow a parachute operation to be conducted from an aircraft,
if that operation creates a hazard to air traffic or to persons or property
on the surface.

"alf" ask@me wrote in message

. ..

Hi,

I saw this inhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaZq3Py4qsAWarren Miller's
"Higher Ground". they say it is illegal in USA - any idea why?

thx, A.

All the videos I have seen where someone straps planks on their feet
are done using para-gliders. So my question is are the regulations
for parachutes and para-gliders the same. I would guess not but what
do I know.

snoig
Old December 11th 07, 10:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Y

"snoig" wrote in message

All the videos I have seen where someone straps planks on their feet
are done using para-gliders. So my question is are the regulations
for parachutes and para-gliders the same. I would guess not but what
do I know.

snoig

I'm not sure about the situation with paragliders, but I have read the
regs about parachutes, and unless I missed something, if the parachute
jump is a 'B.A.S.E.' jump, absolutely NO FAA regulations apply.

Paragliders may be a special case, but my suspicion is that the FAA
may not even HAVE any legal authority over this if it doesn't involve
the use of an aircraft that they can regulate.

Old December 12th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

On Dec 11, 4:31 am, "Mike Y" wrote:
"snoig" wrote in message

All the videos I have seen where someone straps planks on their feet
are done using para-gliders. So my question is are the regulations
for parachutes and para-gliders the same. I would guess not but what
do I know.

snoig

I'm not sure about the situation with paragliders, but I have read the
regs about parachutes, and unless I missed something, if the parachute
jump is a 'B.A.S.E.' jump, absolutely NO FAA regulations apply.

Paragliders may be a special case, but my suspicion is that the FAA
may not even HAVE any legal authority over this if it doesn't involve
the use of an aircraft that they can regulate.

Here's an article from the NYT the other day:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/10/sp...=1&oref=slogin