About length

Old February 8th 05, 05:57 PM
Andrej

Default About length

I was looking on the net that different brands of snowboards and models have
a different length for the same weight.
For example I was looking for a pure freeride board (wide) and I found that
with my weight (166 lbs - 75kg) some recommend 160 and some 168.
Does that mean that the a 168 board of one brand will be as good for me as a
160 of another brand?
Please help I have to order online and I have NO WAY of testing a couple of
boards first

Old February 8th 05, 07:24 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Andrej wrote:

I was looking on the net that different brands of snowboards and models have
a different length for the same weight.
For example I was looking for a pure freeride board (wide) and I found that
with my weight (166 lbs - 75kg) some recommend 160 and some 168.
Does that mean that the a 168 board of one brand will be as good for me as a
160 of another brand?

Yes. Length is only one factor. If the manufacturer is doing their job
right, they are recommending a length that works for your weight in
combination with the flex pattern and design intent of the board.

You have to now consider what you personally want the board for. Either
will probably work fine for regular riding on groomed slopes. If your
intent is to ride fast and you like powder, maybe the 168 would be a
better choice as the extra length will make it a little more stable and
have better float. If you like to do tricks and spin, the 160 would be
better as the shorter length and lower swing weight will make the board
spin more easily. If you are tall for your weight, you might be more
comfortable on a roomier board, and vice-versa. If you are an
inexperienced rider, shorter is usually easier.

Neil

Old February 8th 05, 08:04 PM
Steve

Andrej wrote:
I was looking on the net that different brands of snowboards and

models have
a different length for the same weight.
For example I was looking for a pure freeride board (wide) and I

found that
with my weight (166 lbs - 75kg) some recommend 160 and some 168.
Does that mean that the a 168 board of one brand will be as good for

me as a
160 of another brand?
Please help I have to order online and I have NO WAY of testing a

couple of
boards first

Check out all the board dimensions very carefully:
A have bought many used boards on ebay and found that the width of the
board, the stance and the setback are very important. The stiffness of
a board is also important. Length may not be as important as you think.
The ideal stance width and setback may not be posible to achieve on a
specific board. I snowboard in the Northeast on hard pack. I have
short legs so I want 19.5" to 20" stance and I like to be on the center
of the board (no set back). Also there is a huge difference between a
narrow board and a wide board going quickly edge to edge. For hard
pack, a narrow board is great. If you have big feet and they over hang
alot, you may need to get lifter plates but that is worth it. When you
look at a board concider the waist and nose/tail widths. A narrow
waist board with a very wide nose/tail width takes away some of the
edge to edge quickness of a narrow board. It depends on the snow
conditions you ride in and your preferences but length is only one
small part of the puzzle.

Old February 8th 05, 08:42 PM
Andrej

I'm looking for a snowboard for speed, icy conditions, steep terrain and
powder. Not for jumps and tricks.
I was looking at this board
http://www.f2snow.com/2004_5/english...te/fr_set.html
I can get it for 360? and it was 560?.

Old February 8th 05, 08:47 PM
Mike T

http://www.f2snow.com/2004_5/english...te/fr_set.html

Which model in particular?

Old February 8th 05, 09:27 PM
Andrej

"Mike T" wrote in message
http://www.f2snow.com/2004_5/english...te/fr_set.html

Which model in particular?

GOTHIC

Old February 14th 05, 05:47 AM
Brian

Looks like a nice freeride board from what info they give. I weigh the same
as you, and would recommend the 161. I think 168 is going to be ALOT of
board with an extremely wide sidecut radius. It's probably going to be
fairly stiff if it has anything in common with their alpine models.

Brian.

Old February 14th 05, 01:14 PM
Korisnik

But they say that the 161 is for 50(110lbs) - 75kg(165lbs) and the 168 is
for +70kg(154lbs) and I'm 77(170)kg

pole length steve Nordic Skiing 6 December 22nd 04 05:21 AM
Pole length for skate rollerskiing? Everett Fee Nordic Skiing 7 October 12th 04 10:03 PM
Palm side exit point for pole length measure -JP- Nordic Skiing 1 March 22nd 04 04:02 AM
pole length question Nevalainen, Eric Nordic Skiing 8 February 2nd 04 04:11 AM
GS Ski Length Question ENORD Alpine Skiing 4 August 16th 03 06:14 PM