!Vasaloppet!

Old March 5th 04, 06:31 PM
32 degrees

Default !Vasaloppet!

Worsnop is there ? Wow, how cool. Lucky guy and elite wave too...
Fun.

I hope we will get an update on finishers AS SOON as someone out there finds
them !

JK

I am hoping Joergen Aukland will finally win a big one.
But Oskar Svard has to be the sentimental favorite in his home country...
any other Swedish long distance classic guys up there?

Go Sverige !

JK

Old March 5th 04, 10:40 PM
Kenneth Salzberg

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, 32 degrees wrote:

Worsnop is there ? Wow, how cool. Lucky guy and elite wave too...
Fun.

I hope we will get an update on finishers AS SOON as someone out there finds
them !

You don't have to wait for updates from the list - just go to the
Vasaloppet web site, using the name to find the bib no., and follow their
progress through the checkpoints, in real time. Of course to do this from
where I am, I'd have to be up at 1am for the start.
-Ken

Kenneth Salzberg
Hamline University

School of Law (651) 523-2354
1536 Hewitt Ave.
Sisu Skier - 50K Club St. Paul, MN 55104

Old March 5th 04, 11:19 PM
Jay Tegeder

How about this... I predict he'll win a few town sprints but win the
race? I'll put my money on Oskar Svard, Daniel Tynell or Peter
Goransson.

Jay Tegeder
"I faders spar for framtids segrar"

"Gary Jacobson" wrote in message news:

May I boldly predict a win for Stanislav Rezac this year. That's my hope,
and it is surely a possibility.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old March 8th 04, 08:26 AM
Anders Lustig

Terje Mathisen wrote in message ...

1971: First Norwegian victory

All together now: "...and the last Norwegian victory!":-)
Well, in any case, the *only* Norwegian victory. So far...

I know!!! :-(

Well, this year´s victory won´t be the last Norwegian one,
either:-)

(And I don´t need to remind myself that the last *Finnish*
victory stems from 1973 - and the next one isn´t around the
corner...)

Anders
Old March 8th 04, 08:39 AM
Anders Lustig

David Dermott wrote in message ...

According to the book "Orienteering" (Hans Bengtsson,1977) the first
civilian Ski-O competition was held in Sweden Mar 4, 1900! The first
civilian dry-land O competition was in Norway Oct 7 1900. Before that
there were O competitions (on and off skis) in the military.

Finnish and Norwegian history books have one thing in
common: their authors aren´t too keen to give credit
for anything to Swedes and they don´t feel a need to
make a distinction between military and civilian
competitions:-)

My understanding was that the sport as we know it (with
multiple controls) is a more recent (early 1960s) invention
(made possible by the proliferation of snowmobiles), but
it appears I was wrong by a good decade. (Which means
Kuvaja could´ve dabbled in it, too.)

The "historical" ski-0 was basically a "free route" (from
start to finish/relay point) long distance race (usually
a relay one).

"Modern", organized ski-O stems from - and I may be quite
wrong here - late 1950´s.

It looks like it has been sunny in Mora for the last few days.

A coldish night and a warm, sunny day meant that temperature
at the start was -7 C and later +7 C - it wasn´t probably a
very easy race for the "blueberry soup" skiers...

BTW Janne seems to have mastered the conditions well enough:
05:46:47 - gratulerar:-)

Anders
Old March 10th 04, 04:47 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Anders Lustig wrote:

David Dermott wrote in message ...

According to the book "Orienteering" (Hans Bengtsson,1977) the first
civilian Ski-O competition was held in Sweden Mar 4, 1900! The first
civilian dry-land O competition was in Norway Oct 7 1900. Before that
there were O competitions (on and off skis) in the military.

Finnish and Norwegian history books have one thing in
common: their authors arent too keen to give credit
for anything to Swedes and they dont feel a need to
make a distinction between military and civilian
competitions:-)

Hans is Swedish but he lives in the USA and has for quite a long time.
The book David mentioned is in English and I'm pretty certain was
written here. I can no longer find my copy to actually verify this.
Hans was, if memory serves, the or one of the principal driving forces
behind the creation of the New England Orienteering Club, which is now
one of the largest clubs in this country, even after having spawned off
a few other clubs over the years. Hans's daughter, Malin, skied in the
1992 ski-O world championships in Pontarlier, France, as part of the
United States team.

My understanding was that the sport as we know it (with
multiple controls) is a more recent (early 1960s) invention
(made possible by the proliferation of snowmobiles), but
it appears I was wrong by a good decade. (Which means
Kuvaja couldve dabbled in it, too.)

The "historical" ski-0 was basically a "free route" (from
start to finish/relay point) long distance race (usually
a relay one).

"Modern", organized ski-O stems from - and I may be quite
wrong here - late 1950s.

I don't know the intervening history all that well but again if memory
serves correctly, the Mar 4, 1900 Swedish ski-O event claimed as "first"
is supposed to have had 3 control points. It was certainly long-distance
but I _think_ it is supposed to have finished at or near the starting
point. If I could find my copy of the book I could look.

This is, though, the story as it reached this country many years after
the fact. How accurately it was maintained before arriving here I can't
say. :-)

-Mitch

Old March 11th 04, 01:41 AM
David Dermott

Default Orienteering (was: !Vasaloppet!)

On 9 Mar 2004, Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

Hans is Swedish but he lives in the USA and has for quite a long time.
The book David mentioned is in English and I'm pretty certain was
written here. I can no longer find my copy to actually verify this.
Hans was, if memory serves, the or one of the principal driving forces
behind the creation of the New England Orienteering Club, which is now
one of the largest clubs in this country, even after having spawned off
a few other clubs over the years. Hans's daughter, Malin, skied in the
1992 ski-O world championships in Pontarlier, France, as part of the
United States team.

The book "Orienteering" by Hans Bengtsson and George Atkinson was
published in 1977 by Stephen Greene Press, Brattleboro Vermont. I found
the book in a used book store a few years ago.

An interesting comment in the book was that the first documented use of the
word "Orientering" was from Norway on the winners certificate from
sports club Tjalve in Oslo (Christiania), Oct 1900.

I don't know the intervening history all that well but again if memory
serves correctly, the Mar 4, 1900 Swedish ski-O event claimed as "first"
is supposed to have had 3 control points. It was certainly long-distance
but I _think_ it is supposed to have finished at or near the starting
point. If I could find my copy of the book I could look.

That event was a relay race between Bollnäs and Härnösand - 175 km.
It was held in a blizzard with the winning team finishing in 28 hours 27
min!

The book also mentions that ski-O started in North America in 1949
at Turin, NY

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:

Old March 11th 04, 04:47 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, David Dermott wrote:

The book also mentions that ski-O started in North America in 1949
at Turin, NY

Wow, Turin. That's on the eastern end of the Tug Hill plateau, maybe
about 3 hours from here. I've been orienteering and ski-orienteering
all over these parts and there has never been any event there in the
last 20 years anyway. I've never even heard of any x-c ski races
being held there. There is a ski area there that I believe I've heard
includes some x-c trails.

-Mitch

Old March 11th 04, 07:10 PM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, gary jacobson wrote:

Is that Snow Ridge?

Yes, that sounds right.

-Mitch