Workout efficiency of aero's v. traditional rollerskis

Old September 12th 03, 03:00 PM
PBDoyle

Default Workout efficiency of aero's v. traditional rollerskis

Dear Gary: Thanks for the additional info. As I mentioned, I am only a
few mo nths into this business. I picked up a set of 150s from
NordicSkater because I knew that I would be using them on dirt, at
least part of the time. Now that I am out of the shoolyard at PS29 in
Brooklyn, I use the 150s out in a very nice, quiet state park in Red
Rock, PA (Rickett's Glen - a nice 3.5 mile loop of clean, rolling
asphalt road with direct access to more miles of hard dirt and gravel
park roads and trails.) I am the only roller person (Hey! What are
those things?) so I had no point of reference as to whether the 150's
were/are fast or slow relative to other skis. I originally thought
that "outran" meant that you got to the point on the skis where you
were able to go faster than they could take you. Your comment on their
speed is enlightening.I am more and more comfortable on them, although
I did let a hill get out of control the other day and took a tumble(
little damage. The pads worked as advertised. Needed one more click on
the speed reducers.)
The whole point behind my rollerskiing was/is to learn the skate
movement so that I could work on transferring it to snow this coming
winter ( I understand that there will be a period of adaptation.)
Regards, Peter
Gary Jacobson" wrote in message .. .
As a reference point, I'm a 3:15- 3:45, 50 km middle of the pack skater,
and feel very comfortable on roller skis. Also I was talking about 150s on
smooth pavement with slight downhills. Too fast for me on the slight
downhills. Sort of like really fast snow.

It is often true that skiers new to roller skiing find the speed of slightly
faster than snow speed roller skis (like Jenex wide tire 850) too fast, as
they are not coordinated enough to use them properly. This is not what I was
talking about.

Many good skiers new to roller skiing learn to feel comfortable rather
quickly, and a ski like the 850 is mastered. The 150 is even faster.

I now have one pair of skate roller skis and both Jenex 150 and 125 wheels
and speed reducers that I can use. Rarely do I mount the150 wheels.
The 125 is, as I said a good compromise for my purposes.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

"PBDoyle" wrote in message
om...
Dear Gary: Thanks, that was exactly what I wanted to know. Regards, Peter

"Gary Jacobson" wrote in message

. ..
I was talking about speed. While the 150 skis have speed reducers, they

are
suppose to not be used for skating, but only for downhills and double
poling.
Some people including myself will use the speed reducers when skating.

They
are a fast roller ski, and I find that on good surfaces over flat

terrain it
can be tough to get a "good" work out as they run so fast that the

proper
technique would be to glide in a tuck.

I would find that compared to other skate roller skis over the same

course,
the Aero would have me gliding more than I'd prefer in order to get a

good
work out. It may have something to do with me and my skiing ability. I

don't
like going 30 mph while v-2 alternating on heavier cloddier skis.

I think that the 125 is a great compromise, unless you really need a ski
that can handle dirt roads. Then the 150 shines, and the speed thing

isn't
an issue due to the friction of the road surface which slows them down.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

"PBDoyle" wrote in message
om...
Gary.....I'm new to rollerskiing, only a couple of months on them.
Reading the posts here at RSN has certainly helped to flatten the
learning curve. Would you explain a bit more what you mean when you
write about not outrunning the 610s.. "That is I could always do
something besides double pole. Not true of 150s."? It would be a help.
Thanks, Peter
(revyakin) wrote in message

. com...
I am a big Aero fan. After ~3 years on Aeros 150 my answer is YES,

the
feeling is more snow-like, and satisfying workouts are easier to get
(in addition, transition to snow is easier), and YES, the type of
terrain and pavement greatly expands safey-wise with the Aeros. I

know
most of the people here at RSN like hard-wheel r.s., but... I'll

never
switch back to hard wheels.

Now, taking into account the complaints about the 125 mm Aeros, you
should go for the old 150 mm model. I've never had a flat in 3

years,
and 2 years out of 3 were pritty intense.

(Jon) wrote in message
. com...
I'm still on the fence about buying the aero's and one issue I

wonder
about is the quality of the workout you get from them. I've found

(as
have many others) that it's hard to get a really satisfying

workout,
on the flats, with hard wheel rollerskis, even with speed reducers
(and the other resistance thing Jenex had for a while).

Does this change with aero's if the wheels are set to "squishy."
(Based on a theory that squishy pneumatic tirer more closely

duplicate
the complicated resistive forces you get in snow skiing.) On

another
front, does the increased safety make such a difference that

people
find they get significantly better workouts?

thanks in advance, Jon

Old September 12th 03, 03:46 PM
Jon

Thanks for all the feeback.

Curious if anyone switches regularly between the 150 and 125 wheels?
(just noticed on Jenex website, that the new chassis accepts both).
That seems like it might give you best of both worlds, but curious how
practicable it is for those of use with limited time.

Old September 15th 03, 12:14 AM
Mike

Just a heads up: Jenex recently (Sept 13) announced that the Aero 125
should only be used by people who weigh 165 or less. If you weigh more
and want an Aero, use the 150 (and you don't need to pump up the 150
every time you go ski or worry about maintaining exactly 85 lbs
pressure).

An alternative ski that no one's mentioned in the Pro-Ski S3. 100mm
wheels so it rolls over bumps and sticks pretty well, but slower then
the 150 at minimum allowed air pressure. I have both the 150 and the
S3. The S3 is more fun if you don't need speed reducers. The 150 is
great if you want to go faster or need the speed reducers, or want to
ski on dirt roads.

Mike
http://www.nordicskiracer.com

Old September 15th 03, 06:11 PM
revyakin

Just a heads up: Jenex recently (Sept 13) announced that the Aero 125
should only be used by people who weigh 165 or less.

That's pritty lame.
Old September 15th 03, 09:23 PM
Fitzgerald

So, is that 165 lbs with boots,clothes and CamelBack?So do you have to weigh
155?
Fitzgerald
152lbs on Marwes.

Old September 15th 03, 10:35 PM
Jay Tegeder

I just heard that yesteday about the weight limit on Aero 125s. Corey
Brinkema, one of our top local racers who happens to weigh around
145lbs, told me at the City of Lakes Rollerski Rally that the weight
limit is 170lbs for the aero. He uses them and hasn't had any tire
problems. Does that mean anyone over 170 gets a refund? Marwe
recommends that anyone over 180lbs should use the 100 instead of the
610. They are the same ski but differ in that the 100 has an aluminum
shaft and the 610 is a regular ski shaft.

Jay Tegeder
"On the podium if the right people don't show up!" JT

Old September 16th 03, 01:35 AM
Gary Jacobson

I go near 210 lbs. and had no problem with Marwe 610's that I sold to Gene
Goldenfeld. Hope they had no undetected flaws.

I don't have all that many k's on my non-split rim 125 skis but enough to
wear the tread off, and I haven't had a flat since putting on nondefective
wheels.

I really think that smooth skiing has something to do with my luck. I'm not
a thrasher. (And maybe, consequently, not all that fast.)

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY (Crossing my fingers)

"Jay Tegeder" wrote in message
om...
I just heard that yesteday about the weight limit on Aero 125s. Corey
Brinkema, one of our top local racers who happens to weigh around
145lbs, told me at the City of Lakes Rollerski Rally that the weight
limit is 170lbs for the aero. He uses them and hasn't had any tire
problems. Does that mean anyone over 170 gets a refund? Marwe
recommends that anyone over 180lbs should use the 100 instead of the
610. They are the same ski but differ in that the 100 has an aluminum
shaft and the 610 is a regular ski shaft.

Jay Tegeder
"On the podium if the right people don't show up!" JT

. com...

Old September 20th 03, 03:20 PM
Bob Larson

Default Speed of various roller skis?

Matt Locker wrote in message ...
So it sounds to me like the Marwe 610s are slower than the V2 125s,
which are slower than the V2 150s. Do you all feel this is correct?
Where do the Elpex's fit into this? How about the Pro-Skis S2 & S3 skis?

I've been using Elpex F1 and Marwe 100s. The Elpex F1 wheels
are just a little softer and slower than Marwe wheels.
The Elpex F1s are shorter in length and
lighter weight than either Marwe 100 or 610, which makes
them more responsive, more lively.
Marwe 610s or 100s, being longer, are probably more
ski technique specific, but they also feel clunkier i.m.o.

My Elpexes are now my spares, and I use the Marwe
exclusively for training, favoring specificity over
a more enjoyable ride.
Old September 20th 03, 05:28 PM
revyakin

why not going to a local ski shop (if you have one nearby) and testing
different skis for yourself? Or going for a workout with your skiing
buddies (if you have ones nearby) and switching rollerskis? All
comparisons of r.ski speeds seem very subjective. I find my v2 150
aeros the slowest ski I've skies on(and, alas, marwes and pro skis are
not among them)