Where to ski in Germany/Switzerland/Austria

Old June 15th 07, 11:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Where to ski in Germany/Switzerland/Austria

Greetings all. I would like to tap your collective wisdom on this
topic. I am fromAustralia and will have three weeks in Germany from
just after Christmas.
My list of wishwes includes: reliable snow, german speaking,
activities for the kids (4 and 7) apart from skiing
(being from Oz we are used to beach and sunburn at christmas), cross
country emphasis rather than downhill resort, place where local people
go for holidays rather than the trendy apres ski crowd.
The area around Zweisal sounds interesting, but I think not high
enough for reliable snow, so perhaps the alps would be better.
The kids are just beginners, really, but my wife and I like to do
simple back country touring, which is easy in Australia as we have
little avalanche danger and rolling terrain; I suspect we will be
staying to marked routes in Europe.
Thanks in advance.

Old June 15th 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Eugene Miya

In article . com,
wrote:
Greetings all. I would like to tap your collective wisdom on this
topic. I am fromAustralia and will have three weeks in Germany from
just after Christmas.

OK.

My list of wishes includes: reliable snow,

Well, look for glaciers.
That will tend to work against your "rather" to trendy.

german speaking,

Stay East. French areas are fine. French Switzerland is very laid back
but cleaner and more efficient than France. But then I work with an
office full of French Swiss (nice people).

activities for the kids (4 and 7) apart from skiing

This will be a complication.

(being from Oz we are used to beach and sunburn at christmas), cross
country emphasis rather than downhill resort, place where local people
go for holidays rather than the trendy apres ski crowd.

Well if you really want X-C consider Norway.
You give up relability and trendiness. These are the Alps.
They do Alpine skiing: ask about X-C in the das Arlberg in Zurs and that
whole area of St. Anton (and while they do some of it) they'd look at
you crossed eyed.

The area around Zweisal sounds interesting, but I think not high
enough for reliable snow, so perhaps the alps would be better.
The kids are just beginners, really, but my wife and I like to do
simple back country touring, which is easy in Australia as we have
little avalanche danger and rolling terrain; I suspect we will be
staying to marked routes in Europe.

Do more reading, I recommend trying Amazon for the Reuters world skiing
book (this is an Alpine oriented book but good, there are no X-C
equivalents but it does list som eX-C stuff).
I'd also suggest other regular travel guides like Tony
Wheeler's Lonely Planet series (he was just here Wed. plugging his
2 most recent books). My first 2 Alpine trips each had a week in Zermatt
next to the Matterhorn, but the X-C there is limited; but it's the
Matterhorn (I did take the train from Visp next to 2 very bored American
kids and a friend just did the latest Imax film on the Alps).

And use the web, too.

The whole area can be a play ground. It's an awesome place and 3 weeks
won't be enough.

But watch out for avalanches.

For just X-C there's St. Moritz and the upper part of the Rhone in
what's called the Goms. And actually the Jura on the French-Swiss
border has something like a 170 mile X-C tour (less reliable snow).