Total skiing: ski the whole ski

Old November 19th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

Default Total skiing: ski the whole ski

Bob F wrote:
"taichiskiing" wrote in message
Anyway, flatboarding on snowboard is a lot easier than flatboarding on
skis. Unlike flatboarding on skis, which rides on a "soft"/"variable"
"board" that is formed by the different configuration of two skis,
flatboarding on snowboard rides on one piece "hard"/"invariable,"
board, which makes the board very maneuverable, especially, through
slipping turns and skidding turns, and carving turn remains as an
optional.

Here's how I usually ride my board: Flatboarding with the body centered
over the board, shift more weight to the forward foot to go fast, and
more weight on the back foot to slow down. Turning is done by adjusting
the "angle of attack" (the angle between the centerline of the board
and the line traveled, and is adjustable through the difference between
the feet pressure and movements) for the rate of turn, and as if that
is not enough to turn, the edge pressure is then used to achieve the
desired result. By referencing the pressure from the balls and the
heels of the feet and balancing them to achieve an equilibrium with
gravity, flatboarding is to ride/flow on the top of the snow, just like
a surfer surfing the ocean waves. That's why it's also called "surfing
the gravity."

It's really hard to figure out what you are saying here.

A "soft/variable board" is a "board" that varies in shape. Given two
skis, there are infinite different shapes/configurations that we can
make; we can spread them lengthwise and together (look at their
outline) they form one skinny long "board"; or we can spread them
sideways to make one wide short "board." Each "board" configuration
reflects its unique characteristic--i.e. a "long" board is better for
gliding, and a "short" board is better for lateral balance, and etc. By
shuffling the feet/skis to seek an optimum shape/configuration for the
given balance and speed, a flatboard skier is actually skiing on
infinite numbers of "board." By moving the weight/CoG (ride) to control
the shuffling of skis and weight placement over the skis, flatboarding
is to "ride the skis" and "surf the gravity."

The principal principle and technique in flatboarding is quite simple,
"ride the flat bottom to go [straight], and ride on the edge to turn."
Now, on a pair skis, we have two flat bottoms and four edges, and a
total skier utilize/ski all of them.

Total skiing is to ski the whole ski.

Fun stuff,
IS

Bob

Old November 20th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Wisconsin Skier

taichiskiing wrote:

[...]

In a word, schussing the hill! I used to schuss the hill often but I don't
do it so much anymore. One is much more in control on their edges and I
like that feeling.

A good skier who stays on their edges can manipulate their skis to give them
kick and yet remain in control. I did some experimenting last winter to see
this.

It was an exercise suggested by Warren Witherall and it was amazing. You
snowplow (no need to go fast) and you start to turn and towards the end of
the turn you thrust one (I know how to do but I can not describe it now,
IIRC it's the outside ski) ski forward and if all is right one notices a
fair amount of acceleration.

It certainly is good to master many technique, but some techniques are
preferred and some are for emergencies or horsing around.

Total skiing is to ski the whole ski.

Yes, there is a time and place for everything...under the sun.

--
Before Heading to the Hills Head to The Wisconsin Skier:
http://www.wi-ski.com/
Old November 20th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

taichiskiing wrote:
Bob F wrote:
[...]

'sokay, Bob, we've all had our moments.

[...]

Yeah, that's what we all do.

Now, on a pair skis, we have two flat bottoms and four edges, and a
total skier utilize/ski all of them.

But not all at the same time.

Total skiing is to ski the whole ski.

Fun stuff,

Absolutely
IS

Bob

Old November 20th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article . com,
"taichiskiing" wrote:

Bob F wrote:
[...]

What a pity, then, that you only ski the tails...

Fun stuff,
IS

Bob

--
'It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix.'
"It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix'
Old November 20th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

The Wisconsin Skier wrote:
taichiskiing wrote:

[...]

Yes, but you'd miss the thrills and pleasures of scrub-free gliding,
and that (flatboarding) is a totally skiing.

A good skier who stays on their edges can manipulate their skis to give them
kick and yet remain in control. I did some experimenting last winter to see
this.

A good flatboarder can do all that without hanging itself on the edges.

It was an exercise suggested by Warren Witherall and it was amazing. You
snowplow (no need to go fast) and you start to turn and towards the end of
the turn you thrust one (I know how to do but I can not describe it now,
IIRC it's the outside ski) ski forward and if all is right one notices a
fair amount of acceleration.

Not exactly, that depends where you at during the turn, (before or
after the weight transfer to the uphill ski,) and your designation of
"outside ski." When you snowplow turn, to be more specify, let's say,
to the left, the right ski is the outside ski. If you are turning at
all, you'd be outside/right foot heavy, and the left foot/ski is on the
way. Because it is right ski dominated turn, the left ski in their
wedge configuration is being slipping forward which brakes the speed,
so to thrust the left ski forward reduces the friction/braking effect
of the left ski, and you may feel some acceleration there. As the left
ski thrust ahead to make it parallel to the right ski, it's also called
"tip-lead," but it is the "inside/uphill" ski leads. A tip-lead
readjusts your balance without changing/effect the traveling of your
CoG (Center of Gravity), which is to facilitate early weight transfer
and smooth transition of edges.

If you do mean the old outside ski leads, wow, that's down-unweighting
turn, that's a high level turn/ski, you do feel tremendous amount of
acceleration. That's "inside ski turn," a trademark of flatboarding.

It certainly is good to master many technique, but some techniques are
preferred and some are for emergencies or horsing around.

Better yet, learn the principle, so you can develop the techniques of
your own, ad hoc.

Total skiing is to ski the whole ski.

Yes, there is a time and place for everything...under the sun.

No, you don't need to know the whole space to ski well, all you need to
know is only the whole ski.

Enjoy,
IS

Old November 20th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

VtSkier wrote:
taichiskiing wrote:

[...]

Not the psia strain skiing, which is pretty much all American.

Now, on a pair skis, we have two flat bottoms and four edges, and a
total skier utilize/ski all of them.

But not all at the same time.

That's for sure. What I was saying is to use one of any of those
features to control/change/ski the desired line.

Total skiing is to ski the whole ski.

Fun stuff,

Absolutely

'later,
IS

Old November 20th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

Alan Baker wrote:
In article . com,
"taichiskiing" wrote:

[...]

Where do you get that idea?

"the whole ski" = "the tails"?

What a pity is that in your denials, you are no longer to tell what is
the truth, or your fantasy.

IS

Fun stuff,
IS

Old November 20th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article .com,
"taichiskiing" wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:
In article . com,
"taichiskiing" wrote:

[...]

I don't have that idea. It's just the way you ski.

What a pity is that in your denials, you are no longer to tell what is
the truth, or your fantasy.

What a pity you ski so poorly that you can't go down anything
difficult...

IS

Fun stuff,
IS

Old November 20th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

taichiskiing wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
taichiskiing wrote:

[...]

If you define PSIA strain skiing AS all-American then maybe.
However, a downhiller knows that a flat ski is a fast ski.
If the racer is in the fall line and plans to stay there,
the fastest way is equal weight on flat skis. The purpose
of flags in any race is to "keep you on edge" and therefore
finding the fast way while edged.

But I digress. Even in PSIA instruction there will always be
at least an instant when skis are flat. If at no other time
than the transition form one set of edges to another.

Now, on a pair skis, we have two flat bottoms and four edges, and a
total skier utilize/ski all of them.

But not all at the same time.

That's for sure. What I was saying is to use one of any of those
features to control/change/ski the desired line.

I know, I was ragging on you.

Old November 20th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

Alan Baker wrote:
In article .com,
"taichiskiing" wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:
In article . com,
"taichiskiing" wrote:

[...]

"There's nothing more foolish than one who deceives itself to deceive
others," suit yourself.

IS

IS

Fun stuff,