tele boot cramponts

Old December 8th 05, 10:23 AM

Default tele boot cramponts

Anyone know of crampons made for tele boots? I have a few pair that
will go on the boot but the front points are near useless since they
are almost obscured by the tele toe. Thanks, Kevin
Old December 8th 05, 01:08 PM

Hi

Anyone know of crampons made for tele boots? I have a few pair that
will go on the boot but the front points are near useless since they
are almost obscured by the tele toe. Thanks, Kevin

I use Grivel G12 Crampo-O-Matic on my Crispi CXP
http://www.tetonmtn.com/images/g12%20com.jpg
for usual firn and ice aproaches is ok. I am not an ice climber, so I
cannot judge, whether it is ok for ice climbing.

I had before a crampon which was fixed by straps only. There show could
slip more to the front than with the Cramp-O-Matic binding.

Florian

Old December 8th 05, 01:23 PM

Kevin Brooker wrote:
Anyone know of crampons made for tele boots?

Made /specifically/ for, no, but the Grivel G10 Wide has been designed
with both tele and snowboard boots in mind and does work pretty well,
with the extra width meaning that the duckbill doesn't eat the front points.

They are available with those nice modern binding straps that mean you
can put them on without your fingers turning blue, which is the main
reason I upgraded from my old Salewa Everests. Those did fine but I had
to reassemble them for each different set of boots I had (winter walking
leathers, tele and plastic climbing), which was (a) a PITA and (b)
caused me various degrees of worry with stripping threads over time.

The G10 has only 10 points so is hardly the Last Word in cramponing up
serious climbing grade ice, but I don't have any qualms using mine on
the sort of thing I'd be going up in tele boots.

http://www.grivel.com/ has more. I've been happy with mine, and with
the caveat that I haven't tried much else aside from my old Everests am
happy to recommend them.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old December 8th 05, 03:15 PM

Uuups

Florian Anwander wrote:
There show could slip

Should be "The shoe could slip..." which is a germanism and should be
better "the boot could ..."

Sorry.
Old December 8th 05, 04:04 PM

Kevin Brooker wrote:
Anyone know of crampons made for tele boots? I have a few pair that
will go on the boot but the front points are near useless since they
are almost obscured by the tele toe. Thanks, Kevin

I use Black Diamond Sabretooths on my T2s and have been very happy
with them.

-klaus

Old December 8th 05, 06:24 PM

A feew friends of mine and I have planned a trip/adventure which will
require some Grade 3 ice climbing. I was hoping to avoid boot hassles.
Having a crampon come off of lose the front points might suck. I have
several pair (BD, Grivel, Moser, Ediweis, Camp) for my mountaineering
boots and all work to a degree. I have ice climbed with them and all
brands are okay w/ smoother ice and they all suck on featured
(candled, cauliflower or real soft) ice. The duck bill fills the gap
on the front points. Mono points only penetrate about 1/4" (6mm) and
in soft ice this can be a bit gripping. Thanks for the advice. Kevin

Old December 8th 05, 07:59 PM

Old December 9th 05, 04:33 AM

Booker C. Bense bbense+rec.skiing.backcountry.Dec.08.05@telemark. slac.stanford.edu wrote:

In article ,
Kevin Brooker wrote:
A feew friends of mine and I have planned a trip/adventure which will
require some Grade 3 ice climbing. I was hoping to avoid boot hassles.
Having a crampon come off of lose the front points might suck. I have
several pair (BD, Grivel, Moser, Ediweis, Camp) for my mountaineering
boots and all work to a degree. I have ice climbed with them and all
brands are okay w/ smoother ice and they all suck on featured
(candled, cauliflower or real soft) ice. The duck bill fills the gap
on the front points. Mono points only penetrate about 1/4" (6mm) and
in soft ice this can be a bit gripping. Thanks for the advice. Kevin

_ I think you're kind of SOL with this. Every crampon on a tele
boot suffers this problem in some degree. Depending on what
kind of telemark binding you have you might look into grinding
the toe piece off 4-5 mm. On most cable style bindings you
don't need the full duckbill.

If I were doing serious ice climbing, I'd use mountaineering
boots. You can get away with tele gear for most ski mountaineering,
but as Booker says, the duckbill is an issue on serious ice. The
Sabretooths got me up and down Denali, but I wouldn't use them on blue
ice.

-klaus

Old December 9th 05, 09:50 AM

I'm trying to avoid bringing 2 sets of boots. Most of this trip I've
seen in sections. Time to grab the welder, steel, and a bit of
imagination.

Old December 9th 05, 01:11 PM

Hi Booker

_ I think you're kind of SOL with this. Every crampon on a tele
boot suffers this problem in some degree. Depending on what
kind of telemark binding you have you might look into grinding
the toe piece off 4-5 mm. On most cable style bindings you
don't need the full duckbill.

I think, the real problem is the toe piece of the crampons binding.
Every crampon with cage style or ribbon style toe pieces will suffer
that, but a binding with a wire (comparable to the silvretta 400 ski
binding) will keep the boot in a better position on the crampon.

Florian