Looking to purchase new Snowboard / Boots & Bindings

Old October 16th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Gareth Evans

Default Looking to purchase new Snowboard / Boots & Bindings

Hi, I'm from the UK and have planned a trip to Winter Park, Colorado in
February. I've snowboarded at least twice a year from the age of 16 (23 now)
and still have my original snowboard (Burton Motion) Bindings and Boots. My
board has been through it all and is looking a little worn out!

I'm looking to purchase a new board, boots and bindings. Will definitely be
making my purchase out in the US as the exchange rate is in my favour.
Looking for some advice as to what people recommend. I'm not familiar as to
which are the better brands of boards. I've heard that Forum are very good?
Money is not an object, I really want to treat myself to some really decent
kit.

The type of boarding I enjoy, mostly free riding (quite fast!) powder and
the odd trick & jump. I don't want a board that's just dedicated for
snowparks (freestyle??). Looking for a decent all rounder really! I would
consider myself quite an advanced snowboarder (less so in the snowpark, such
as rails).

Would be really grateful for any feedback, hope I've given enough
information.

Gareth

Old October 16th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

Gareth Evans wrote:
Hi, I'm from the UK and have planned a trip to Winter Park, Colorado in
February. I've snowboarded at least twice a year from the age of 16 (23 now)
and still have my original snowboard (Burton Motion) Bindings and Boots. My
board has been through it all and is looking a little worn out!

The type of boarding I enjoy, mostly free riding (quite fast!) powder and
the odd trick & jump. I don't want a board that's just dedicated for
snowparks (freestyle??). Looking for a decent all rounder really! I would
consider myself quite an advanced snowboarder (less so in the snowpark, such
as rails).

Gareth

Hi, before I start, realize these are just my opinions. Also if money
is no issue, virtually any top-end gear from a brand new is going to be
good. Then the important issue is finding gear that fits your riding
style.

When you say you go two times a year, do you mean two day trips or two
week-trips a year? How many days total have you been riding ~50 days
~100 days? ~200 days? How much time are you doing blacks/double blacks
versus powder versus park.

Whatever boot you get, it *must* fit you perfectly - meaning no heel
lift, pressure points, boot wrinkles, etc. It should be very cozy
fitting, with you toes just barely touching the end of the boot (but
not curled). It should not be so soft though that it feels like a
slipper with no ankle support. It is okay if the boot is slightly
difficult to walk around in as snowboard boots are not made for walking
around in. Whatever boot that fits you like that, buy it. Some basic
suggestions are Salomon Malamute (for people narrow feet) or Burton
Driver (for wider feet) both are very stiff boots that give you much
better responsiveness while freeriding, but pay attention to fit.

I would stay away from Forum. It is a freestyle-specific brand. Even
Burton is rather freestyle oriented. Some more freeride oriented brands
and boards are Salomon (Burner or LOFT), Ride Timeless, Neversummer
Premier and Donek Phoenux. You can do an odd trick and jump on any type
of board. I would not get a board that has a sidecut of less than 8m.

For bindings I hear the Burton C60 are awesome, ultra-reponsive and yet
ultra-light. I have a set of Burton P1MD (medium flex) that are a
little bit too soft for dedicated freeriding, but are great for
freestyle/powder... see if you can find P1HD (hard flex) or P1C
(carbons). Salomon SPX 90s are a little sturdier (and heavier).
Nidecker 900s are sturdy and damp.

Again these are not an exhaustive list of suggestions and tips, please
reply with more information/questions.

Old October 17th 06, 08:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Gareth Evans

[...]

Thanks for your reply.

I go 2 times a year usually for a fortnight. So just under 200 days
snowboarding since I was 16. I occasionally do blacks, blacks with
mogels and love powder, especially through trees. Generally I'm on red
runs, going reasonably fast. I spend a small time in the park, half
pipe, some basic rails and a medium-sized ramp. But generally I'd
consider myself a freerider.

Thanks for the information on boots and bindings, I have made a note of
that. Have strapless bindings improved a lot, or are straps still the
way to go?

Gareth

Old October 17th 06, 12:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Switters

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 08:39:10 GMT, "Gareth Evans"
allegedly wrote:

I go 2 times a year usually for a fortnight. So just under 200 days
snowboarding since I was 16. I occasionally do blacks, blacks with
mogels and love powder, especially through trees. Generally I'm on red
runs

Bear in mind the different grading systems between Europe and North
America. A Euro red is an American black. A Euro black is an American
double black.

That said, each resort/area makes these up, so the gradings of runs in one
area are simply relative to the rest in the same area.

You can't compare the double blacks at Red Mountain, Canada to the black
run of Pal, Andorra.

Thanks for the information on boots and bindings, I have made a note
of that. Have strapless bindings improved a lot, or are straps still
the way to go?

Improved a lot from when? 1999? I would think so, as has everything
else, including straps. :-)

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow.
Donek Sasquatch 162, Prior Pow 181, Burton Canyon 162

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ/
Old October 17th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

Gareth Evans wrote:
I go 2 times a year usually for a fortnight. So just under 200 days
snowboarding since I was 16. I occasionally do blacks, blacks with
mogels and love powder, especially through trees. Generally I'm on red
runs, going reasonably fast. I spend a small time in the park, half
pipe, some basic rails and a medium-sized ramp. But generally I'd
consider myself a freerider.

Thanks for the information on boots and bindings, I have made a note of
that. Have strapless bindings improved a lot, or are straps still the
way to go?

Gareth

Since 1999, all brands of boots and bindings have come a long way.
They will be stiffer, stronger, and most of the time lighter and more
comfortable. Back in 1999 I rode Clicker "strapless" bindings, which
were pretty good bindings (even today). However, step-in binding
systems such as Clicker and Switch have grown out of favor since then.
Strap bindings are dominant now, with hybrid strapbindings like FLOW or
K2 Cinch also doing pretty well. If you are looking for convenience of
a step-in, but with high performance - look into the high end FLOW
bindings. They do tend to be heavier than normal strap bindings.