Little Kids Snowboards?

Old December 6th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Speedskater

Default Little Kids Snowboards?

Where can I learn more about boards for little kids. A 40 pound (18kg) 3
and 1/2 year old has out grown (skill wise) his department store plastic
board. The ski area requires metal edges and a safety strap but don't
rent that small.

Kevin
remove the zeppelin to reply.
Old December 6th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

On Dec 6, 5:34 pm, Speedskater wrote:
Where can I learn more about boards for little kids. A 40 pound (18kg) 3
and 1/2 year old has out grown (skill wise) his department store plastic
board. The ski area requires metal edges and a safety strap but don't
rent that small.

That's unusually young to be snowboarding, which is why you're finding
it hard to locate equipment. Most places start junior snowboarders out
at older ages than skiers. E.g, at my local ski area the minimum age
for snowboarding lessons is 6; for skiers it's 4.

Joe Ramirez
Old December 7th 07, 01:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
helibrdr

wrote in message
On Dec 6, 5:34 pm, Speedskater wrote:
Where can I learn more about boards for little kids. A 40 pound (18kg) 3
and 1/2 year old has out grown (skill wise) his department store plastic
board. The ski area requires metal edges and a safety strap but don't
rent that small.

That's unusually young to be snowboarding, which is why you're finding
it hard to locate equipment. Most places start junior snowboarders out
at older ages than skiers. E.g, at my local ski area the minimum age
for snowboarding lessons is 6; for skiers it's 4.

Joe Ramirez

I tend to agree. I had my kids start with skiing (as painful as that may be)
and then switch to boarding when they weighed enough to pressure an edge and
learn correctly. That was between 6-8 for my kids. However, the Burton
Chopper 90 lists a weight range of 35-45 pounds so I assume it is designed
flexible enough for that weight range. At the rate my kids grow I didn't
want to buy a board until they got to a point where the needed it (about
10). Of course if you have more than one kid and can hand it down.....
Have fun

Old December 8th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Speedskater

wrote:
On Dec 6, 5:34 pm, Speedskater wrote:
Where can I learn more about boards for little kids. A 40 pound (18kg) 3
and 1/2 year old has out grown (skill wise) his department store plastic
board. The ski area requires metal edges and a safety strap but don't
rent that small.

That's unusually young to be snowboarding, which is why you're finding
it hard to locate equipment. Most places start junior snowboarders out
at older ages than skiers. E.g, at my local ski area the minimum age
for snowboarding lessons is 6; for skiers it's 4.

Joe Ramirez

He's all set to go! This is a picture from last February:

http://www.ohiospeedskating.com/images/snowboard_sm.JPG

Wednesday we got some snow so in the morning he practiced in the
driveway, including going down the sidewalk and making a sharp right
angle turn with no instruction. After lunch we went to a nearby park
with a hill. I set him up on a gentle run-out. He said "No Gramps, I
want to surfboard there" and went to the steep hill (steep enough to
require concentration sidestepping down it. He snowboarded for over an
hour. He needs to be ready to go to Colorado in January to snowboard
with his aunt.

But buying new stuff that will only fit for one year is very very
expensive. The local slopes may not have small stuff, so we might have
to go out of state.