Can anyone comment on Lake Placid conditions and suggest skate ski Instructors, lodging and bars/restaurants?

Old January 28th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
mountainwalker

Default Can anyone comment on Lake Placid conditions and suggest skate ski Instructors, lodging and bars/restaurants?

Planning a 3-4 day X country trip with plenty of instruction - can
anyone comment on current conditions at Mt Van Hoevenberg, Lake Placid
and can anyone suggest good instructors there, working with Mt. Van
Hoevenberg ORDA or privately?

Goal is to intensively (begin) to learn proper skate ski technique
before beginning skate roller skiing.

Also, does anyone have lodging suggestions from mid-range to budget,
both in town and up to 5-6 miles out of town as I may be accompanied
by a group of friends looking for different kinds of lodging.

And while we're at it, anyone have any favorite bars and restaurants
to suggest?

Thanks!

Old January 28th 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr

mountainwalker wrote:
Planning a 3-4 day X country trip with plenty of instruction - can
anyone comment on current conditions at Mt Van Hoevenberg, Lake Placid
and can anyone suggest good instructors there, working with Mt. Van
Hoevenberg ORDA or privately?

Goal is to intensively (begin) to learn proper skate ski technique
before beginning skate roller skiing.

Also, does anyone have lodging suggestions from mid-range to budget,
both in town and up to 5-6 miles out of town as I may be accompanied
by a group of friends looking for different kinds of lodging.

And while we're at it, anyone have any favorite bars and restaurants
to suggest?

Thanks!

I was in Lake Placid back in snowless December. I stayed at Art Devlins
Olympic, rather reasonably priced, very clean,pet friendly.
There is an Italian place right next to Art Devlins which is very good
(casual). FYI; going through town is the Jackrabbit trail, some parts
groomed others probably not. The only place I found it (their off scale
maps kind of stink!!) was a marked sign in the back corner of the HOJOs
parking lot. Note; on the back of the Trail sign at hojos, there is a
note about where to go (across the street?) to continue on the trail.
gr
Old January 29th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
mountainwalker

I feel your pain. I've been waiting for the snow for a while but it
seems things are great now with snow falling regularly almost every
day. Thanks for the info.

Old January 29th 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Ken Roberts

Mt Van Hoevenberg / Verizon center is one of the best places anywhere to
learn to skate, with its big flat stadium area and the wide gentle
Flatlander trails. Then if you're athletic and want to try skating up hills,
the Olympic race courses offer a selection as big or steep as you need to
challenge yourself.

Sharon and I were there on Satuday, snow coverage on the Mt Van Ho trails
was good. But some of the non-Flatlander trails were kinda "humpy" with
noticable waves up and down in the snow, not as "even" as you'd want. I
asked a guy there who does serious trail grooming at another ski center, and
he said that with this early snowpack, it's tough to prevent that.

Where to stay might depend on how much you want to focus on skiing versus
in-town stuff. For skiing there are some places on Rt 73 which are closer to
Mt Van Ho and nicer sections of the Jackrabbit trail. Note that there is a
steep hill by the main intersection in town, so if you don't have snow tires
and don't want that in between you and most of the better cross-country
skiing, than consider staying at a place on Rt 73.

Ken

Old January 30th 07, 11:52 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
highpeaksnordic

On Jan 28, 5:30 pm, "mountainwalker" wrote:

anyone comment on current conditions at Mt Van Hoevenberg, Lake Placid
anyone suggest good instructors , working with Mt. Van Hoevenberg

Conditions at Van Ho are pretty good - see Ken R.'s post from a few
days ago and add another 6" of light, fluffy snow.

At Van Ho, ask for Joe Kahn to give you a skate lesson. My experience
has been that the folks with a solid classic ski background pick
skating up pretty quick.

Also, does anyone have lodging suggestions from mid-range to budget,
both in town and up to 5-6 miles out of town as I may be accompanied
by a group of friends looking for different kinds of lodging.

There are many choices, way too many to list. The Chamber posts a mid-
week special usually every week by e-mail; if I can find my copy I'll
send it to you.

And while we're at it, anyone have any favorite bars and restaurants
to suggest?

Fav bar - LP Pub & Brewery next to NSA, across from tennis courts.
The Cottage at the other end of the lake (across from the Mirror Lake
Inn is usually hoppin' on weekends. Fav eats in LP - Caribbean Cowboy
and Desporados. In SL, it is Littly Italy.

Old January 30th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
mountainwalker

Hi Highpeaksnordic,
Thanks so much for the instructor referral. First time someone has
suggested a specific instructor. We have a great list compiled for
bars and restaurants with your favorites and suggestions from other
posters and X country skier friends who've been to LP.

On Jan 30, 7:52 am, "highpeaksnordic"
wrote:
On Jan 28, 5:30 pm, "mountainwalker" wrote:

anyone comment on current conditions at Mt Van Hoevenberg, Lake Placid
anyone suggest good instructors , working with Mt. Van HoevenbergConditions at Van Ho are pretty good - see Ken R.'s post from a few

days ago and add another 6" of light, fluffy snow.

At Van Ho, ask for Joe Kahn to give you a skate lesson. My experience
has been that the folks with a solid classic ski background pick
skating up pretty quick.

Also, does anyone have lodging suggestions from mid-range to budget,
both in town and up to 5-6 miles out of town as I may be accompanied
by a group of friends looking for different kinds of lodging.There are many choices, way too many to list. The Chamber posts a mid-

Old January 30th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 30 Jan 2007 04:52:33 -0800, "highpeaksnordic"
wrote:

On Jan 28, 5:30 pm, "mountainwalker" wrote:

anyone comment on current conditions at Mt Van Hoevenberg, Lake Placid
anyone suggest good instructors , working with Mt. Van Hoevenberg

Conditions at Van Ho are pretty good - see Ken R.'s post from a few
days ago and add another 6" of light, fluffy snow.

At Van Ho, ask for Joe Kahn to give you a skate lesson.

He taught my wife to ski too -- great guy.
--
JT