Prior Khyber as my main board

Old January 13th 07, 05:59 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Default Prior Khyber as my main board

I searched the forum and found some good information but I'm still a
bit undecided,

heres my deal. This is my 2nd season of riding alot, prior to that id
just ride a few times a year. My current board, which I learned on, is
a 159 option super cap I bought used so its probably a good 4 - 5 years
old; noodly and chattery as hell, won't hold an edge when really
bombing it, and I really have to lean back riding deeper and lighter
powder.

this is also pretty much my first year riding steeper, deeper, and
denser tree runs. im not so good at manouvering in the trees and it
feels like it takes forever to get a turn started. ive got no
confidence to bomb through them cause i know that i probably wont be
able to get that turn going as quick as i want, then i end up going
slow and just bogging down in the powder. same goes for the bumps and
moguls. im thinking that a board thats described as short turning and
made for powder and trees would definately help me. i know there is
obviously my skill involved but i still feel that my current board is
holding me back.

Before this I was thinking of a Prior MFR , but after the past few days
I also thought that an easier turning board for the trees would be
great.

what im concerned about is the khyber's performance on piste and at
high speed. although i am liking more and more riding powder and trees,
bombing down a wide open groomed run is still pretty fun. I'm also
starting to get into some snowshoeing for backcountry access and am
going to start accessing wide open powder bowls that beg to be ripped
down.

it seems to me that it makes the most sense to get a board that can do
the hardest thing you want to do (in my case tight trees in deep snow)
better, and all the other stuff ok. does anyone use their Khyber as an
all around board or is it relegated to a quiver of boards and only for
the tree runned powder days?

Old January 13th 07, 06:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

wrote:
[...]

The first thing is that I disagree with your idea that "it makes the
most sense to get a board that can do that hardest thing." You want to
get a board that can do what you do MOST the best. If you ride tree
powder everyday, then get a tree powder board like the Fish. The Khyber
is actually a hybrid board, so you should be riding trees and powder
very often (where do you ride?) like at least 20-30% of the time. If
you are riding a 159 now, you should at least go to the 160 (yes, I
know they suggest shorter... but if you were to email them they would
actually recommend the 160 as well).

Prior is a great brand (I got my gf a Prior) and I think the Khyber
will be pretty good overall freeride board so long as you are keeping
it in soft snow. I doubt it is turned to handle steep icy/windpack
traverses or slopes that well. It should be able to carve pretty well
and stay relatively stable - however you should wait until Tuesday. I
will be demo'ing the Khyber (156 and 160 and 160 split hopefully) this
weekend and will let you know what I think (I've already ridden the
Prior MFR 158 and Prior AMF 153).

Here's a discussion on the topic, pay attention to posts by "Bordy", he
mispelled Khyber as Kyber, but he knows what he's talking about in
terms of snowboards
http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulleti...ber#post107926

Anyways, I will get back to you soon

Old January 13th 07, 08:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Thanks for the reply,

I miss the Prior demos - they do Whistler the day before I go to the
coast, and they do my local mountain (sun peaks) while I'm still down
there. I'll be able to try one out in spring but I've heard you can
demo some boards at the factory in whistler also.

20-30% trees and powder is probably right. We are doing more roadtrips
this year and id like to do some catskiing next season. itd be great if
you could let me know how the Khyber rides. I was deadset on a MFR
before this but like I said, after the past few days i think i could
really appreciate something that is a bit better in the tight stuff.
all this speculation about new boards doesn't really matter as much as
my skill though - my buddy rides a Custom-x (all mountain?) and he
shreds everything.

Old January 14th 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Mike T

my local mountain (sun peaks)

Given the above, you can probably get away with a Khyber as your full-time
board. Such great snow! It was hard to come back home after doing a carve
camp there in December. Never had so much hero snow in my life!

Mike T

Old January 14th 07, 09:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Mike T wrote:
my local mountain (sun peaks)

Given the above, you can probably get away with a Khyber as your full-time
board. Such great snow! It was hard to come back home after doing a carve
camp there in December. Never had so much hero snow in my life!

Mike T

and here I was complaining about how whistler gets all of our snow

Old January 15th 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

wrote:
Thanks for the reply,

I miss the Prior demos - they do Whistler the day before I go to the
coast, and they do my local mountain (sun peaks) while I'm still down
there. I'll be able to try one out in spring but I've heard you can
demo some boards at the factory in whistler also.

Fanatyk Co in Whistler village demos some boards as well. Also the
Whistler factory is pretty close and always has demos. I've been to Sun
Peaks three years ago December and there was a lot of powder all over
the place.

20-30% trees and powder is probably right. We are doing more roadtrips
this year and id like to do some catskiing next season. itd be great if
you could let me know how the Khyber rides. I was deadset on a MFR
before this but like I said, after the past few days i think i could
really appreciate something that is a bit better in the tight stuff.

Rode the Khyber 160 and 156 today. Conditions were cold (-7 C) and very
firm (was around -13 C yesterday) with medium/high winds (15-35 kph).
The Khyber was able to handle these conditions respectably, although
because of the taper you need to keep it pointed down the slope the
whole time with quick, slashy turns. If you try to carve across the
fall line, the wider nose will grip the snow a lot more than the tail
and will whip you around backwards if you don't put more weight on the
front foot. Of course the taper really lets you exit your turns quickly
and get onto your other edge and I the Khyber should be a noticeable
step on in the powder and trees compares to anything you have. When I
manage to find some "snowcone" powder caused by everyone scraping off
the groomers, the Khyber really came alive as it really enjoy soft
snow. The tail is stiffer and has a bit of pop (noticeably more than
the Fish) which is great for doing a bit of backcountry freestyle. You
could take this board into the park without much problem.

I'll try the 160 Split tomorrow if I have time.

Old January 15th 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

thanks man!

new board time? Yup Snowboarding 6 May 21st 05 07:30 PM
Board spec question and the Burton Baron Frank L Lynn Snowboarding 2 April 11th 05 05:42 PM
advice on board? Mario Snowboarding 10 January 11th 05 01:00 AM
Board flex and fast powder turns id Snowboarding 10 December 14th 04 03:08 PM
Burton Dominant Sizing------Please help Lee Snowboarding 5 November 21st 03 06:22 PM