Tahoe resorts

Old October 30th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Mike Mather

Default Tahoe resorts

I'm travelling to the US in Feb 2007.

I've got 4 days in Mammoth, then I travel to South Lake Tahoe on Thursday
15th Feb for 4 nights with 3 days boarding.

I'll be boarding possible on the Thurs then the Fri/Sat/Sun of the
Presidents days weekend, and I'm looking for advice on the best places to
visit (bearing in mind I've never been to the US before).
I'm with my wife and two kids, and we are all of a reasonable intermediate
standard. We intend to do three different resorts in the 3 days and are
hoping to avoid the crowds if that is possible.

What are the crowds likely to be like at this time of year, and are we
better off going to some of the lesser known resorts? We'll have transport
and don't mind driving to get there.
Also, the lift tickets are expensive compared to the Alps, so are there any
offers we should be aware of, to make an expensive trip that little bit
cheaper?

Thanks..........Mike

Old October 30th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
David

Mike Mather wrote:

Also, the lift tickets are expensive compared to the Alps, so are there any
offers we should be aware of, to make an expensive trip that little bit
cheaper?

www.snowbomb.com sells a card that lets you buy discount tickets, and
some other discounts as well. They also have Tahoe resort reviews,
snow conditions, weather reports.

www.ridelaketahoe.com, has some discount stuff too I think.

Have fun.

David

Old October 31st 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Jeremy

David wrote:

Mike Mather wrote:

Also, the lift tickets are expensive compared to the Alps, so are there any
offers we should be aware of, to make an expensive trip that little bit
cheaper?

www.snowbomb.com sells a card that lets you buy discount tickets, and
some other discounts as well. They also have Tahoe resort reviews,
snow conditions, weather reports.

www.ridelaketahoe.com, has some discount stuff too I think.

Snowbomb also has maps and resort reviews.
www.slidingonthecheap.com is another source of discount information.
Sometimes the motels sell discounted tickets.

Your timing just about guarantees crowds larger than typical crowds.
If not already done, arranging lodging in advance is advised.

Old October 31st 06, 06:29 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Jrobb

The links provided should help you out. There are always deals on lift
ticket prices via the local grocery stores, Raley's, Albertson's,
Safeway etc. Or some of the lodging locales will offer stay and
ski/ride discount tickets too.

If you are looking for less crowds try Kirkwood. It's 50 min drive
from South Lake/Heavenly and offers the best snow quality in Tahoe, and
quantity too. All the resorts will be crowded on a weekend especially
a "holiday" weekend so it's kind of hard to avoid that unless you go
mid week Tue-Thurs.

You can check online at Craigslist.org people will offer at a discount
tickets they for one reason or another can't use. This is kind of
sketchy and I've never done this personally so this would be a last
resort.

My favorite motel to stay at is in South Lake. The Chateau Inn and
Suites. cheap, comfy beds, offer small continental breakfast free,
internet access, and rent videos. This is also directly accross the
street from the Goldola pickup for Heavenly and Heavenly Villiage.
Tons to do within walking distance.

Don't know specifics about your itinerary, but three resorts around
South Lake to hit up with minimal back tracking and driving would be
Sierra-at-Tahoe (not my fav, but right off HWY 50) on your first day,
drive on to South Lake after skiing, check in, day two at Heavenly, day
three Kirkwood (your Heavenly and Kirkwood days will be the most fun
Imho) then leave via HWY 88 on to Bay area. You could reverse the
order of these too.

Other option if staying at South Lake, go to Heavenly day one, Alpine
Meadows (bout an hour away to the North and the road may be closed due
to snow), day three Kirkwood. Or just any combo of Heavenly and
Kirkwood.

Old October 31st 06, 07:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

You picked what is typically the busiest weekend of the year. There is NO
avoiding the crowds but you can do a few things to minimize the frustration:

1. Get up and out early...ride hard from the time the lifts start cranking
till you can't deal with the crowd anymore...you'll get at least 2 hours of
good runs, maybe an hour where you wait a bit and then it could get real
bad.

2. South Shore, go to Kirkwood, again very early. Will still be real busy
but as far a south shore goes this will be your best bet. Plus, it takes a
good hour from the lodging on the south shore to get there so you may get a
good half day in before the real crowd shows.

3. Try the north shore. Many more small resorts that don't get totally
overrun...try Homewood or Diamond Peak.

4. Take a day away from the slopes and go snowshoing with the
family...Saturday your best bet. You'll be lucky to see a handful of people
and you'll see some amazing scenery...it is a real nice break from the
crowds. My wife and I love doing this.

5. And finally, if you really want to board, find a local hill and build a
kicker and have fun with the family doing some jumps...free and no crowds at
all.

news

Old November 2nd 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
56fish

Mike's advice above nails it! Been there!