Water repellent refresh?

Old October 26th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
nicotine

Default Water repellent refresh?

Standing outside in my Burton jacket today, smoking in the rain.
Noticed that it really isn't repelling water at ALL anymore, as when I
was done, the inside of the jacket was slightly moist. :/

Does anyone have any product recommendations for refreshing the water
repellent for snowboarding coats?

Old October 26th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

nicotine wrote:

Does anyone have any product recommendations for refreshing the water
repellent for snowboarding coats?

There's some pretty useful information at the MEC website:

http://tinyurl.com/yyrxv4

Neil
Old October 26th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

nicotine wrote:
Standing outside in my Burton jacket today, smoking in the rain.
Noticed that it really isn't repelling water at ALL anymore, as when I
was done, the inside of the jacket was slightly moist. :/

Does anyone have any product recommendations for refreshing the water
repellent for snowboarding coats?

In general, I used NikWax to clean and waterproof my gear. I tried
Granger last season and it worked a tiny bit better (lasted a bit
longer), but either product is going to make a huge difference on your
gear in terms of water repellancy. The direct wash-in variants are
easier to use, but the spray on works better if you are willing to
spend the extra time and care to spray down "problem" areas.

Old October 26th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

lonerider wrote:
nicotine wrote:

Standing outside in my Burton jacket today, smoking in the rain.
Noticed that it really isn't repelling water at ALL anymore, as when I
was done, the inside of the jacket was slightly moist. :/

Does anyone have any product recommendations for refreshing the water
repellent for snowboarding coats?

In general, I used NikWax to clean and waterproof my gear.

Another thought - DWR (durable water repellant) coatings perform much
better when clean. I believe that link I sent had washing instructions
in it.

Neil
Old October 26th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

Neil Gendzwill wrote:
lonerider wrote:
nicotine wrote:

Does anyone have any product recommendations for refreshing the water
repellent for snowboarding coats?

In general, I used NikWax to clean and waterproof my gear.

Another thought - DWR (durable water repellant) coatings perform much
better when clean. I believe that link I sent had washing instructions
in it

From his post, it looks like nicotine was more interested in specific

products recommendations. So I compared the two different brands I've
used before - the old gold-standard (be around for years) Nikwax
(TechWash and Direct) and the newer Granger (G-Wash Cleaner and
Granger's Wash-in) and also mentioning my experiences in the
differences between Wash-In vs Spray-On Waterproofing.

Your link, while informative, is still basically a rehash of
information already included with any of the products and doesn't
compare the effectiveness of any particular product.