Val D'Isere compared to 3 Valleys?

Old October 23rd 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
z?

Default Val D'Isere compared to 3 Valleys?

Hi all! cheery smile and wave to denote approaching season enthusiasm

We're thinking about Val D'Isere in January, but as we're addicted to
the 3 Valleys (usually pitch up in Mottaret then scoot around all over
the place), we wondered how Val compares?

Any pluses or minuses? Don't personally do a lot of off-piste, just
looking for lots of interesting runs really..

How congested are lifts in peak times?

Not too fussed about nightlife as long as the food and wine is good!

Thanks for any info -

Tom

Old October 30th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Mike Mather

"z?" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all! cheery smile and wave to denote approaching season enthusiasm

We're thinking about Val D'Isere in January, but as we're addicted to
the 3 Valleys (usually pitch up in Mottaret then scoot around all over
the place), we wondered how Val compares?

Any pluses or minuses? Don't personally do a lot of off-piste, just
looking for lots of interesting runs really..

How congested are lifts in peak times?

Not too fussed about nightlife as long as the food and wine is good!

Thanks for any info -

Tom

Tom,

We're doing the opposite this year. After 5 years in Val, were off to
Meribel for the last week of Jan (staying in the centre, so any tips would
be welcome).

Whilst I can't give you a comparison, I can tell you what I think about
Val/Tignes, and answer some of your questions.

The area is big and it depends on your level as to what the plus/minus's
are. When the weather closes in, there is little tree cover due to the
height of the resorts, but that gives you glacier skiing when the conditions
are poor.
The Espace Killy lift system is excellent and is mainly high speed
detachable's and modern gondola's.

Personally on the Val side I like the Fornet sector as it is usually the
quietist (a bit if a trek to get there), I don't like Solaise as a boarder,
as it is flat in a lot of areas.
Bellevarde is a big area with some big cruising runs, and try Olympic
downhill black run 'Face' down the front of Bellevarde, but make sure it has
been pisted on the steeper top section first, or it's 'interesting on a
board'
The current world cup run OK (or is it Orange) is a great high speed long
red run back to the bottom of the Funicular.

The links to Tignes are good, and with the new Tommeuses lift is rarely
busy. If conditions allow, I'd take a trip down to Le Breviere below the
dam. The Aguille Percee is also a decent area to visit, as is most of that
part of the sector.
If the top cable car is open, the Grand Motte is a must. The views off the
top to Mont Blanc are stunning and it is a long red (busy from the funi
down) run. Take advantage if it's open and the weather is clear, as it took
me three weeks before I got to the top.

Out of 5 years, it's been busier when the snow cover has been poor (2002 and
2006), mainly I guess because people travelling last minute have booked
high. I've never experienced the school holidays in Europe, but even on what
I'd call a busy week the resort is big enough for minimal queues.

Out of the 10 of us that go together, some have been to 3V's, and all but 1
rate Val/Tignes a better area.

The Val resort centre is good and with the world championships coming it
will be getting more investment. A good night out can be had in Le Petit
Danois, Cafe Face, Dick's etc. There are plenty of restaurants, but in my
experience the food has been OK but nothing to write home about.
We've never stayed in Tignes so cannot comment.

Hope this helps and have a great trip........