neub needs equipment info.

Old March 18th 04, 04:54 AM
Nathan Otis

Default neub needs equipment info.

Guys, I'm moving to Colorado in a month and I'm planning to take advantage
of the last month or two of the season to learn to ride.

I realize I should probably rent equipment this year till I figure out what
I like and need... but once the time comes... Where are good places to shop?
I'll be looking for a good local shop around S.E. Denver area, as well as
online places...

Show me where to go.
n.

Old March 18th 04, 07:48 AM
Dmitry

"Nathan Otis" wrote

I realize I should probably rent equipment this year till I figure out what
I like and need... but once the time comes... Where are good places to shop?
I'll be looking for a good local shop around S.E. Denver area, as well as
online places...

It makes sense to rent/demo when you want to figure out
what equipment you prefer. In your situation what you
should be mostly concerned with now is having well-fitting
boots. Check out ThirtyTwo boots, they have a heat-moldable
liner which basically makes the boot to have a perfect fit.
You'll need to find a retailer that can actually do the
molding for you (not sure if they charge extra for that).
This is sort of an all-out approach to getting new boots. If
you can find a good boot fitter or if some popular brand makes
boots that fit your feet well, this should also work fine.

For board and bindings, I'd get some cheap used ones. Make
sure the board is of the right dimentions and not very stiff. Make
sure the bindings are of the right size for your boots and that you
don't have a lot of overhang. It's a lot better to have your own
equipment, but at the same time you don't know yet what kind of
board you'd prefer when you get a hang of it, so cheap used stuff
works best. Just throw it away once you've climbed a bit up the
learning curve and can make educated equipment choices.

Then go and spend the rest of your money on lift tickets and
lessons

Old March 18th 04, 03:41 PM
Nathan Otis

Thanks for the tips. I also found a gaggle of information with a simple
Google search... I dunno why I put it off for so long.
n.

"Nathan Otis" wrote

Old March 20th 04, 01:48 AM
David

"Dmitry" wrote in message news:dnd6c.34153$SR1.41776@attbi_s04...

"Nathan Otis" wrote
It makes sense to rent/demo when you want to figure out
what equipment you prefer. In your situation what you
should be mostly concerned with now is having well-fitting
boots. Check out ThirtyTwo boots, they have a heat-moldable
liner which basically makes the boot to have a perfect fit.

Is that any different from the thermofit liner in Nitros? After reading your
post I went looking for the thirtytwos, but ended up with Nitros instead.
I'm pretty hard to fit. It's my first pair, and the best fitting snowboard
boots I've tried on yet.

Wish they had thermo-fit footbeads though...

You'll need to find a retailer that can actually do the
molding for you (not sure if they charge extra for that).

They didn't for me. They did the thermo-fitting, and I got the
end of season clearance price.

This is sort of an all-out approach to getting new boots. If
you can find a good boot fitter or if some popular brand makes
boots that fit your feet well, this should also work fine.

For board and bindings, I'd get some cheap used ones.

Just bought what appears to be a nice board off Ebay. Hope it shows up
soon, so I can actually use it this season. I'd like to ride my own board,
but what I wanted most was to stop using rental boots.

More lessons will help, but I think more riding first.

Thanks,
David