Binding Reccomendations

Old February 17th 05, 07:20 PM
Howlee

Default Binding Reccomendations

Ok, Here i go again with another hardware question.

I just ordered an 162 Arbor element. I need some bindings for it- the kind
that buckle, not the step in ones.

What do you folks recommend? Something somewhat inexpensive but of good
quality. I am no pro so I dont need a set of $200 bindings, unless there is
a good reason for buying them. I do not do much park riding, just a lot of
free riding.

Any thoughts yall may have will be appreciated.

Thanks again

Old February 17th 05, 07:26 PM
roah

I got some Burton Customs on sale, and have been very pleased thus far.
Well made, secure, nice edge control (especially with stiffer boots),
and good comfort levels. I found some for 89$ US. I'm sure other folks
will have differing opinions.
have a nice day
roah

Old February 17th 05, 10:36 PM
lonerider

Check out Ebay for cheap bindings.

Since you have Burton boots, Burton bindings will fit well with them.
Someone mentioned the Burton Custom, - while the lower models of the
Burton are afforable, my personal opinion is that they aren't secure
enough for you more freeride oriented riding - Burton bindings in
general tend to have a lot of play in them - I think that's just
Burton's style.

The Burton Missions are a good solid pair of bindings ($170 though).
The Burton P1MDs are my current bindings (I just sold my Cateks to
Mike!) and they are a nice blend of dampened smooth riding with decent
responsiveness - unfortunately they cost $270 retail - but I got mine
on Ebay for $80 (with a Burton Fish that I wanted to try out). Burton
makes you pay a premium for their brand name, and while their high end
stuff is usually decent... it's the lower end stuff that I would shy
away from - so I'm not a big Burton fan in general.

For a cheaper alternative I would suggest Ride bindings (LX, EX)...
they are excellent bindings and can often be gotten at good prices. I
assume that since Burton bindings doesn't go well with Salomon boots,
the reverse is true... otherwise I would recommend the Salomon SP4 as
it is a sturdy, freeride oriented bindings ($180). In my opinion the
Ride and Salomon the lower-end bindings are still decent bindings.

Old February 17th 05, 10:59 PM
Mike T

The Burton Missions are a good solid pair of bindings ($170 though).

My wife got a pair of new Missions over the summer on eBay for $60. she
likes them so far.

(I just sold my Cateks to Mike!)

Hoping to try them out tonight

Old February 18th 05, 10:29 AM
Andy Sandford

"Mike T" wrote in message
The Burton Missions are a good solid pair of bindings ($170 though).

My wife got a pair of new Missions over the summer on eBay for $60. she
likes them so far.

(I just sold my Cateks to Mike!)

Hoping to try them out tonight

Lonerider, why did you sell the Cateks? Just curious as I got a pair
recently - and love 'em!

Andy

Old February 18th 05, 05:50 PM
lonerider

Andy Sandford wrote:
"Mike T" wrote in message
(I just sold my Cateks to Mike!)

Hoping to try them out tonight

Lonerider, why did you sell the Cateks? Just curious as I got a pair
recently - and love 'em!

Andy

Partially because I wanted to try a new pair of bindings The first
thing is that the big circular footprint of the bindings really stiffen
up the flex of the board, which maybe be fine for most boards... but it
made my Donek Incline (one of the stiffest boards in existence) even
stiffer and I couldn't control the radius of my turns like I used to
(tightening them on demand). Maybe if I start out on a softer board it
would able been okay... but I didn't like the way the flex felt on my
Donek.

Furthermore, the bindings are a bit jarring - like if you land
long/short on a jump... or more importantly if you are trying to lay
down deep hard carves in tracked out, bumpy, or variable condition
snow. So basically these two affects suddenly made me really tentative
on firm, steep slopes as I would have to make big side to side arcs
across the trail at high speeds in order to flex the board, where a few
small bumps would first start to tire out my legs, and then towards end
of the day pop me off my carves.

Finally... I'm just not a tinkerer... I didn't use the cant/lift very
much (1/1 and 1/2) and hated having to seatch for my "favored" stance
options, ontop of all that fiddling/tinkering, I didn't like having to
check and tighten all my bolts everyday (I know I should have put on
more locktite). Everything kept loosening on me and that got annoying
(yes I do the 1/2 turn trick with the kingpin and cant screws, I mean
the toe/heelstraps/heelcup/disc screws) and I was afraid of stripping
everything with the 4mm heads (Mike I gave you BOL 5mm screw
replacements that I had just gotten).

Overall... I liked the Catek Freerides... but they didn't work well
with the super stiff board I had, which I discovered when I put my
Burton P1MD (which were supposedly my "crappy" bindings since I got
them for $80, even though they sell for $260) on to my Donek. So until
I get a softer board in a year or two (Donek Phoenix) I decided to let
someone else try the Cateks. I might go back to the Cateks in the
future... and hopefully when they have refined the design a bit by
adding some damping material to the base-plate (either between
board/disk, or plate/foot) and order adjusting the heelcup so that the
top strap fits a little higher on the foot.

--Arvin

Old February 19th 05, 03:39 AM
Mike T

Partially because I wanted to try a new pair of bindings The first
thing is that the big circular footprint of the bindings really stiffen
up the flex of the board, which maybe be fine for most boards... but it
made my Donek Incline (one of the stiffest boards in existence) even
stiffer and I couldn't control the radius of my turns like I used to
(tightening them on demand). Maybe if I start out on a softer board it
would able been okay... but I didn't like the way the flex felt on my
Donek.

I took them out for a spin last night, on some pretty crusty snow, it had
been above freezing all day and as soon as it got dark it got really cold.

I rode them on an older Incline 168, which is clearly softer than a new
Incline 168 would be, but still a stiff board. This particular pair has
Salomon SPX6 highbacks and straps, which is part of the reason I bought them
from lonerider - I really like the Salomon straps.

In any case, my initial impressions are thumbs up. I own Salomon SP6's so
the highback and straps are essentially the same. The felt somewhat more
responsive that the straight Salomon. But not too much. I rode them flat
for half the evening and then added a little toe lift in ftont and heel lift
i back, which improved my toesides and hurt my heelsides. Definitely going
to play with that some more. The difference in feel surprised me a bit - I
actually found the Cateks to feel a little damper than the Salomons. That
really surprised me. I didn't notice the board flexing any differently but
I am 195 pounds to lonerider's 150-something. I was expecting some
jarring like lonerider experienced. Then again those SP6's are pretty damn
stiff themselves.

I might go back to the Cateks in the
future... and hopefully when they have refined the design a bit by
adding some damping material to the base-plate (either between
board/disk, or plate/foot) and order adjusting the heelcup so that the
top strap fits a little higher on the foot.

I can think of a few other places where there is room for improvement:

1) I can feel the bottom of the metal heel cup holder through my boot. I
did not hit any jumps last night and I'm not sure I want to with that metal
ready to bruise me heel. That part needs to be shaped more ergonomically.
I think simply lowering the heel cup would help.

2) Most soft bindings seem to have some kind of raised material running down
the sides, which helps guide your foot into position when you strap in.
These have nothing. It makes it harder to strap in standing up. I'd like
to see something added there.

Overall - my favorite soft binding to date. These will go on my Donek Wide
which is my favorite freeride board to date I too would like to see the
next generation. Also, a new pair seems a bit pricey. Again, part of the
reason I bought lonerider's used pair was because I wouldn't have to
cannibalize my Salomons for the straps!

Mike T

Old February 19th 05, 07:56 PM
Jay

"lonerider" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Yep, the P1s are good. They have this system where you can move the strap
position without taking the bindings off the board which is actually quite
useful. (forward setting for jumps and rails, rear setting for cruising).

One thing to watch though is that the straps are non-standard and most shops
don't stock them so could be a good idea to get a spare set.

Jay.

Old February 19th 05, 10:36 PM
Andy Sandford

"Mike T" wrote in message
[...]

Living in the UK, I've only ridden my Cateks a few times on an artificial
slope, but compared to my old Drakes they are a big improvement. I too have
a Donek (Wide 161) and the Drakes just weren't up to the job - They would
flex loads before the board responded. Weighing in at 210lbs, the Cateks
give me much more feel.

There are a few small kickers on the slope - I haven't noticed any harshness
on landing, but my boots are very solid (Salomon Malamutes) so this may
explain it.

I've used Loctite on all the hardware and nothing has loosened so far... I
actually put Loctite on the kingpin first time 'round - DO NOT DO THIS! It
took a LOT of effort to disassemble it and I was very lucky to manage it at
all...

Off to Les Deux Alpes next weekend to try them out on some real snow - can't
wait!!

Cheers

Andy

Old February 22nd 05, 05:22 PM
bri719

Andy Sandford wrote:

I've used Loctite on all the hardware and nothing has loosened so far... I
actually put Loctite on the kingpin first time 'round - DO NOT DO THIS! It
took a LOT of effort to disassemble it and I was very lucky to manage it at
all...

Off to Les Deux Alpes next weekend to try them out on some real snow - can't
wait!!

have fun Andy.....oh, and ease up on the LT will ya :-)

I laugh when I see people with all the hardware on everything they own
looking like they painted it blue. not good! LOL

bri

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email