snow for the Olympics

Old February 11th 10, 03:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

Default snow for the Olympics

Is there any snow for the Olympics? I saw something fast on the news
that the half pipe had no snow.
Any information?
Old February 11th 10, 04:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Feb 10, 7:41*pm, downhill wrote:
Is there any snow for the Olympics? I saw something fast on the news
that the half pipe had no snow.
Any information?

They're going to cast it in concrete and make all the artists use
skateboards.
Old February 11th 10, 05:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

downhill wrote:
Is there any snow for the Olympics? I saw something fast on the news
that the half pipe had no snow.
Any information?

Several inches are predicted in the next couple days down here in Seattle.

Old February 11th 10, 05:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 2/10/10 7:41 PM, downhill wrote:
Is there any snow for the Olympics? I saw something fast on the news
that the half pipe had no snow.
Any information?

Apparently the alpine events are fine, great snow. For some reason they
put the goofy events (pipe, skiercross, etc) down in the flats and now
are surprised there's little natural snow.

Practically this means they must truck in hundreds of tons of snow,
which naturally once in place will trigger copious natural snowfall just
as in previous Olympics.
Old February 12th 10, 12:38 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier[_3_]

lal_truckee wrote:
On 2/10/10 7:41 PM, downhill wrote:
Is there any snow for the Olympics? I saw something fast on the news
that the half pipe had no snow.
Any information?

Apparently the alpine events are fine, great snow. For some reason they
put the goofy events (pipe, skiercross, etc) down in the flats and now
are surprised there's little natural snow.

Uhm, I'd rather ski than watch skiing. I haven't
been paying a lot of attention to the Olympics.
But this brings up a question, how can you have
a skiercross course without a hill?
I can see a pipe. It can be built, and in the
greater scheme of things, it's not all that big.
Maybe a few hundred feet long. But a skiercross?

Practically this means they must truck in hundreds of tons of snow,
which naturally once in place will trigger copious natural snowfall just
as in previous Olympics.

Yup. Well send it in from Washington, DC.
Old February 12th 10, 04:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

VtSkier wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:

Apparently the alpine events are fine, great snow. For some reason
they put the goofy events (pipe, skiercross, etc) down in the flats
and now are surprised there's little natural snow.

But this brings up a question, how can you have
a skiercross course without a hill?
I can see a pipe. It can be built, and in the
greater scheme of things, it's not all that big.
Maybe a few hundred feet long. But a skiercross?

There's a hill.

The "goofy" events are being held at Cypress Mt, which is "the flats" in
lal's mind.

Yes, there's less vertical at Cypress, it's not up in the mountains like
Whistler, but it's big enough for a skiercross course. Snow is another
issue, as lal correctly points out.

There's really no excuse for picking a venue where you have to truck in
snow in February.

//Walt
Old February 12th 10, 05:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Treseler[_2_]

Walt wrote:

Yes, there's less vertical at Cypress, it's not up in the mountains like
Whistler, but it's big enough for a skiercross course. Snow is another
issue, as lal correctly points out.

There's really no excuse for picking a venue where you have to truck in
snow in February.

Indeed. The base is at 910m above the Sound.
Their annual snow totals look good,
but they don't mention the annual rain totals.

-- Mike Treseler
Old February 13th 10, 10:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha[_2_]

On Feb 12, 9:12*am, Mike Treseler wrote:
Walt wrote:
Yes, there's less vertical at Cypress, it's not up in the mountains like
Whistler, but it's big enough for a skiercross course. *Snow is another
issue, as lal correctly points out.

There's really no excuse for picking a venue where you have to truck in
snow in February.

Indeed. The base is at 910m above the Sound.
Their annual snow totals look good,
but they don't mention the annual rain totals.

Hey, have any of you idiots trashing that poor hill ever skied it?
I thought not. Probably only Wack Job Baker and I have done so, and I
had a free ticket. Night skied it one time on the way to Whistler,
and outside of SLC, there is not a more convenient ski venue next to a
major population center.
Advantages: they usually have a hundred inch base or so in Febuary.
Weird snow year. That's the breaks. Indeed, there is hardly any
snowmaking because there is normally a ****load of snow. STFU. They
will make it work, I know a few people in management and they are the
best in the business.
Half hour from Van. Half hour from Van. Spectacular views. Granted,
it's a pimple, but as usual, LAL shows his blowhard ignorance by
stating the place is on the flats, or bitching about the rain: as I
recall, Tahoe is quite low compared to the Rockies, and gets rained on
frequently.
Turned out to be an El Nino year. Snoqualmie outside of Seattle is at
a similar elevation and is having similar snow problems. Last year,
there would have been no bitching whatsoever and everybody would have
been talking about how cool it was to have skiing events so close to
the center of the action, with so much room for lots of visitors.
Including Brain Fried Bob Thompson.
They might come to regret that.

You only need a couple hundred feet of vertical for the new fangled
events, anyhow.

NordiX at the olympics? Chris Cole Nordic Skiing 7 February 27th 06 02:04 PM
Olympics: Where the slalom at? Mike M. Miskulin Snowboarding 1 February 23rd 06 04:42 PM
Olympics Robert Stevahn Snowboarding 2 February 18th 06 07:02 PM
Olympics: snow when you don't want it Mary Malmros Alpine Skiing (moderated) 1 February 17th 06 12:36 PM
2006 Olympics Bob J Nordic Skiing 3 March 17th 05 08:41 PM