Best places at Thanksgiving

Old August 11th 03, 02:05 AM
Hugh

Default Best places at Thanksgiving

Grand Targhee (http://www.grandtarghee.com/) is often in good shape by
Thanksgiving.
Jackson Hole or Idaho Falls airports are convenient but expensive. If you're
on a budget
fly into Salt Lake City, rent a car and drive the four hours to the ski
hill.

Hugh

"AR" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I'm new to the States, and am thinking about a thanksgiving ski trip.
Assuming I need to book flights early (from Chicago), where would be
the best place to head?

Is any area or resort more likely to be better than others, this early
in the season?

At present I was considering booking flights to Denver, and accom. in
Winter Park, does this sound reasonable? Or will Winter park be very
busy over a holday weekend, considering its proximity to Denver.

Thanks

AR

Old August 11th 03, 06:31 PM
Walt

Hugh wrote:

If you're on a budget fly into Salt Lake City, rent a car and drive
the four hours to the ski hill.

Wow. You must drive awfully slow. Unless there's a major dump going on
it takes about an hour to get from the airport to the slopes in SLC.
(give or take a bit depending on the traffic and which of the ten
resorts you go to)

Whether there'll be good skiing conditions there at Thanksgiving is a
question I'll leave for someone else, but I agree that SLC is a good
place to go on a budget. Of course, if he's really on a budget, he
should just drive up to the UP...

--
//-Walt
//
Old August 11th 03, 07:58 PM
Sam Seiber

I trust you are kidding. Hugh said:
Grand Targhee (http://www.grandtarghee.com/) is often in good shape by
Thanksgiving.
Jackson Hole or Idaho Falls airports are convenient but expensive. If you're
on a budget
fly into Salt Lake City, rent a car and drive the four hours to the ski
hill.

He was talking about flying into SLC, and driving to Grand Targhee from
there. I also recall that it takes about 4 hours to get from SLC
to Idaho Falls. Grand Targhee is 1.5 to 2 more hours from IF.
I would allow 6 hours from SLC to GT.

Sam
Old August 12th 03, 12:37 AM
BJohansson

I almost hate to suggest it, but Killington, VT has probably the most reliable,
plentiful snow over Thanksgiving. Be prepared for the crowds, though.
Old August 16th 03, 07:04 AM
n g

nielsdt wrote in message
You can also wait until almost the last minute to decide. There are
bargain fares available if you're willing to fly on Thanksgiving Day,
without the usual advance purchase restrictions. In 2001, three days

before
Thanksgiving I booked a cheap flight from Seattle to Calgary.
Accommodations were plentiful and the Banff area had the best snow in

North
America at the time.

Bear in mind there were a few events which tended to make fall 2001 not
exactly a typical time to fly...

Old August 20th 03, 08:20 PM
Walt

Sam Seiber wrote:

I trust you are kidding.

He was talking about flying into SLC, and driving to Grand Targhee from
there. I also recall that it takes about 4 hours to get from SLC
to Idaho Falls. Grand Targhee is 1.5 to 2 more hours from IF.
I would allow 6 hours from SLC to GT.

No, I wasn't kidding. Of course I wasn't reading very carefully
either...

mea culpa. I'll do a couple of penalty turns at the earliest
opportunity.

--
//-Walt
//