Good Mogul board?

Old January 31st 05, 09:11 PM
Mike T

Interesting. Thanks for relaying that along. Getting all math geek,
it'd be cool if there was some way to normalize it to board length.

Yeah, I somehow don't think it's a simple relation. A 184 is only 7%
longer than my 172, yet at the same stiffness index it's suitable for a
guy nearly 60% heavier?

More data points:

195 pounds, stiffness = average, style = average on the order form

188 PR = 6.6
184 PR = 6.7
182 AM Custom = 7.1

The AM definitely has a softer feel to it on the snow than the 188... the
184 is in snowboard heaven so I can't do a back-to-back comparison but I
remember it feeling much like the 188, just a little easier to turn tight
and a little slower to pick up speed.

I think my two "living" Coilers are enough for now; a Madd 170 and Donek
Axis 172 round out my alpine quiver and I really can't imagine any trail or
condition that can't be handled very well by one of the four boards.

Old January 31st 05, 11:23 PM
Mike T

I have softened up the AM boards a bit over the last few seasons
make them a bit more fun in varied terrain and not so carve

oriented.

Coulda fooled me.

It's still a Coiler, it'll still hold an edge with the best of 'em. My AM
182 feels distinctly "less carve oriented" than my PR 188, and even a little
less so that my Donek Axis 172. The Coiler feels more like it's "snaking
carves through the snow" where the Axis, especially when pushed, has that
classic Explosive Donek feel.

I'm very tempted to get in line for a 177 now.

Sounds like you're about to be sucked into the vortex known as "quiveritis
maximus".

Where have you heard this story before?

Rider orders Coiler
Rider waits almost a full season
Rider gets Coiler
Rider rides Coiler
Rider orders another Coiler

Happened to me too!

Got 3 Doneks and 2 Coilers, and a Madd now... I guess I need a Prior.
Maybe a Pow Stick?

Mike T

Old February 1st 05, 07:04 PM

It's still a Coiler, it'll still hold an edge with the best of 'em.
My AM
182 feels distinctly "less carve oriented" than my PR 188, and even a

little
less so that my Donek Axis 172. The Coiler feels more like it's

"snaking
carves through the snow" where the Axis, especially when pushed, has

that
classic Explosive Donek feel.

Yeah, I think the big thing for me is having a board that's suited to
my weight.

I'm very tempted to get in line for a 177 now.

Sounds like you're about to be sucked into the vortex known as

"quiveritis
maximus".

Nope, just re-evaluating what single do it all board would be best for
me. The AM skids around so easily, I don't see much of a reason to hold
back on the length/sidecut... at the very least, I'd want something
with a sidecut more like 11, even if I stuck with the same length.

Old February 2nd 05, 07:00 PM

Are you sure it isn't your tune? How much base bevel do you have on
that sucker? I'm just evaluating how much bevel to add to mine, it
comes ground flat and Bruce recommends 1 degree.

I have 1 degree on it. I don't think it's a case of 'too much bevel'
because it holds a feathered edge just fine, and it doesn't feel
skittish rode flat.

And not that I'm complaining... the board is great, and I'm sure I'll
appreciate that quick skidding next time I put myself on a truely steep
face. It's just consideribly more maneuverible than I expected.

advice on board? Mario Snowboarding 10 January 11th 05 01:00 AM
Good Speed Board? skibum Snowboarding 11 April 30th 04 06:35 PM
Ride "Profile" What is this board good for? Bob Snowboarding 4 March 14th 04 09:14 PM
What is a good size board for me?? brent parker Snowboarding 3 December 6th 03 09:08 PM
Duret board - Any good? Jesper Christiansen Snowboarding 0 December 2nd 03 06:04 PM