looking for content: rec.skiing.announce

Old September 16th 03, 11:50 PM
Brian Edmonds

Default looking for content: rec.skiing.announce

I took over the technical moderator role for rec.skiing.announce in
March of this year after it had been given up by its previous moderator
three years before. Needless to say the group was seriously damaged by
the extended quiet period, and has had almost no valid submissions in
the last six months, and even almost no spam. I would like to revive
the group if possible, or if it is not possible, or desireable to do so,
simply shut it down and rmgroup it.

This message is crossposted to news.groups (as the centre of the
universe , and the main alpine, nordic and snowboarding groups as
(hopefully) the most representative cross-section of active rec.skiing
users. Please restrict your followups to the most appropriate group(s).

What I am looking for, in the main, is for people to submit content to
the group (ie. post!). I am also interested in finding hierarchy users
who are willing to serve on the moderation team for the group. Ideally
these should be people who are also interested in going out and finding
useful content for the group, but knowledgeable and respected
participants in rec.skiing newsgroups who only have enough time to help
with moderation are also welcome. Content volunteers should just start
posting. Moderation volunteers should email me directly. My software
requires very little technical background, so don't let that deter you.

I'm also open to arguments for the removal of the newsgroup, which
should be crossposted to news.groups, as I don't read any of the skiing
groups apart from rec.skiing.announce. In the long run if the content
does not start showing up I will consider that to be an implicit
argument in favour of removing the newsgroup, and proceed in that
direction.

Brian.
Old September 17th 03, 12:15 AM
lal_truckee

Brian Edmonds wrote:

[...]

It's an announce group: it should post the FAQs and charters of the
skiing hierarchy periodically.

It should not have general traffic.

If you want to build it up, you could email the webmasters at all the
ski resorts inviting them to send announcements - opening dates,
closings, etc...

Old September 17th 03, 01:55 PM
Serge

Look at

http://www.hyperwheels.com/hyper-rac...%2Ecom+2003%21

This is speedskating forum and , IMHO, this format would be the most
successful.
Old September 17th 03, 05:40 PM
Brian Edmonds

lal_truckee writes:
It's an announce group: it should post the FAQs and charters of the
skiing hierarchy periodically.

The charter for the group states:

Consistent with present net-practice, this is the low-volume,
moderated group for announcements. It will carry the periodic posting
of the FAQ, race & other competition results, and possibly some
selected automated snow reports.

There's room in there for a lot more than FAQs and charters. That said,
even the FAQs and charters would be a start. If the FAQ maintainers in
the other groups want to contact me to discuss crossposting to RSA, I'm
all ears.

It should not have general traffic.

It should certainly not have *discussion* traffic. But general
announcements related to skiing are entirely on topic.

If you want to build it up, you could email the webmasters at all the
ski resorts inviting them to send announcements - opening dates,
closings, etc...

This sort of traffic is actually the least desireable, IMO, since there
are already the rec.skiing.resorts groups. Of course, they may not want
it (I've not checked their charters), and if the hierarchy users want
such traffic in RSA I have no deeper objections.

But actual contacting of resorts and such is far more work than I, as
technical moderator, have any desire to do. It would be far more
effective if a bunch of rec.skiing users independently got this data
from their favourite resort(s) and submitted it to RSA. I simply do not
have the time or contacts to do this in any useful fashion myself.

Brian.
Old September 18th 03, 03:22 AM

Serge wrote:

Look at

http://www.hyperwheels.com/hyper-rac...%2Ecom+2003%21

This is speedskating forum and , IMHO, this format would be the most
successful.

This appears to be a web board and certainly (as much as I can see of
it) be a subsitute of any announce group (web or net).

There again your opinion certainly can vary based on your contact with
the net, after all you are using a web based interface to Usenet.

--
news:alt.pagan FAQ at http://www.dmcom.net/bard/altpag.txt
news:alt.religion.wicca FAQ at http://www.dmcom.net/bard/arwfaq2.txt

Old September 19th 03, 09:07 PM
Brian Edmonds

Brian Edmonds writes:
What I am looking for, in the main, is for people to submit content to
the group (ie. post!).

I have now received and approved a few nice, topical messages to the
group. Many thanks to those who submitted them, and I look forward to
getting more new content in the future. I have yet to hear from any FAQ
maintainers, but it could be that there are none.

I am also interested in finding hierarchy users who are willing to
serve on the moderation team for the group. these should be people
who are also interested in going out and finding useful content for
the group, but knowledgeable and respected participants in rec.skiing
newsgroups who only have enough time to help with moderation are also
welcome.

I have yet to hear from a single moderation volunteer. I *can* continue
to moderate myself, as the amount of work is negligible, but it would be
nice to find a few mods from the hierarchy, both to cover periods when
I'm offline (it happens, really! , and also hopefully to take a lead
role in finding and developing new content sources.

This should be the last message you'll see from me for a while about
this newsgroup, so if you're thinking of volunteering or posting an
announcement or two, don't wait for another invitation...

Brian.