avalanche ratings

Old April 19th 10, 07:12 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
BrritSki

Default avalanche ratings

Ace wrote:
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 08:04:39 +0100, BrritSki
wrote:

Ace wrote:
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 17:54:19 +0100, BrritSki
wrote:

Got a trip planned for
weekend of 24/5, but not sure if it's going to be worth it...
But the snow at upper levels is still great, and comparing with last
year I'd say there's still a good chance of half-decent skiing by
then. We skiied to the third weekend in May last year, but some
neighbours tell us that they were still skiing the second week of
June. Limited, of course, but not just the glacier runs.

Officially, your dates are the last of the 'season', as I'm sure
you're aware, but it does seem that they kept the 4-man chair at
Laubersrgrat open later than that last year, and the Jochpass chair
stays open all summer anyway, so if there's still snow you can ski, at
least part way. If you'er happy to walk the bottom part there should
be plenty.

Thanks for that Bruce, I'll let you know...

Update: This weekend had some brilliant skiing. REally good spring
snow conditions, firm first thing so choose the sunnier slopes
(Engstlenalp) the softening up nicelt through the day and moving to
less sunny bits later. Some folk weer still skiing down to the
village, although the run was officially closed. We didn't bother.

Next weekend (which was the one you meant, despite your 24/5 typo)
should still be brilliant, with a bit more snow forecast and quite
cold conditions for the next few days, so if you can still make it I
don't think you'll be disappointed.

Thanks for the info Bruce. As we have one member of the party stguck in
Canada, another stuck in Paris, one in hospital for a knee op and my
knees very dodgy, it's a no for this time

PS I see where the misunderstanding on the date came from, I meant
24/5 in the sense of 24/25, but I can see how it can be misread.
Old April 19th 10, 07:29 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 08:12:56 +0100, BrritSki
wrote:

Ace wrote:

Update: This weekend had some brilliant skiing. REally good spring
snow conditions, firm first thing so choose the sunnier slopes
(Engstlenalp) the softening up nicelt through the day and moving to
less sunny bits later. Some folk weer still skiing down to the
village, although the run was officially closed. We didn't bother.

Thanks for the info Bruce. As we have one member of the party stguck in
Canada, another stuck in Paris, one in hospital for a knee op and my
knees very dodgy, it's a no for this time

Yeah, I didn't think, from your email, that you'd be coming, but I
just thought I'd let you know what you were missing ;-)

--
Ace
Ski Club of Great Britain http://www.skiclub.co.uk/

Old November 20th 13, 08:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe

Ian Blake wrote:

posting the whole post again

Do they really mean anything?

Last week I was in Arc 2000. The previous weeks had been cold with light
precipitation so it was quite reasonable that the start of the week the
avalanche risk was set at 2. Then the cold departed and the zero degree
isotherm ascended above 2500m. Friday I was skiing down Comborciere a black run
in a small steep valley. The heat of the day had caused some of the edge of
the valley to slide down leaving avalanche debris across half the piste. I just
skied past it. Saturday arrives it is now raining 2500m. When the weather had
cleared a bit I skied dowm Muguet and Comborciere. A dirty area of snow where
piste basher had flattened the debris and a spot of bare hillside was all that
remained of previous days fall.

As I rode up Pre Saint Esprit my brother pointed out a snow plough clearing snow
that had slipped onto the road. We continued up Arcabulle then headed towards
Arc1850 on Grand Renard. There was a Piste worker setting up a fence to direct
skiers around some more fallen snow from the Aguille Grive. Not too serious it
would hurt if it had hit someone but was only an inconvenient snow pile.

After lunch I am skiing along Grand Renard but decide against going into 1850
and turn down Dents du Peigne (Blue) followed by Lac (Red) and inevitably onto
Edelweiss (Blue) . Here we encountered avalanche debris right across the piste
only stopped by the high bank on the other side. There was a scar all the way
up to Arpette. I was able to ski offpiste around it. At this point I decided
snow conditions were terrible and the light was flat so I stopped skiing early
and went for a shower and clean clothes then wait for the train home.

We saw numerous minor snow slips around the resort and two sizeable avalanches
onto the piste. As we were leaving we noticed that the avalanche risk had
risen to 3. I would think that where many actual avalanches had been occuring
the risk should be more than that.

In late season you get lots of slushy snow slips that look like some
one has emptied a concrete mixer (bell shaped runout). There are not
too much of a problem compared to avalanches. Is it these you are
describing ?

I would not like to be on one, but I would much prefer to be on one
of those than the regular avalanche, uncompressed snow.

A great way of conducting an avalanche course would be to have the
skiers sit under a couple of dumptrucks worth of snow as it was tipped
off a slide on top of them.

Suffocation is the major killer but the ones which frighten me are the
ones which are powerful enough and dense enough to twist your legs so
that your femur shatters. I do not want to spend the final ten minutes
of my life screaming in uncontrollable agony, wishing I had never ever
seen a pair of skis.

Avalanche Anniversery lal_truckee Alpine Skiing 0 March 31st 07 08:52 PM
Avalanche Anniversery lal_truckee Alpine Skiing (moderated) 0 March 31st 07 08:52 PM
Avalanche Matt T European Ski Resorts 3 January 7th 07 11:49 AM
Trail Difficulty Ratings Jeff Alpine Skiing 237 March 11th 05 02:40 AM
Trail difficulty ratings don't matter... [email protected] Alpine Skiing 4 March 11th 05 12:48 AM