Zermat

Old November 15th 13, 10:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Noumenon

Default Zermat

Mike Clark wrote:

If you're after groomed pistes then I'd definitely recommend Italy and
if you are also prepared to ski at lunch time or in inclement weather
you'll have those groomed pistes virtually all to yourself!

Well, but that's what Cervina (on Italian side) is for. Unfortunately ski
lifts over there are terribly slow, everybody complains.

Yes, I know about Italians. They indeed groom everything because they like to
ski (mostly slow cruising on wide blue-reddish slopes) in a soft & easy,
leisurely manner...

N.
Old November 16th 13, 04:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 18:53:49 +0000, PipL wrote:

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 05:29:15 +0000 (UTC), "Noumenon"
wrote:

The main problem with slopes is that Swiss are a bit lazy in that respect and
they don't groom slopes well (not like Italians or Austrians), not even half
of what they normally should be grooming in order to make piste skiing good...

I'm surprised. I went there last winter and the grooming was fine.

Indeed, but to generalise that _all_ Swiss resorts are good, bad or
indifferent in their grooming is a nonsense. They will vary
tremendously, with weather, location, snow depths, as well as local
preferences. Some places (think of Flaine, which I know you know well)
deliberately leave some pistes ungroomed on alternate daysbecause
that's what people want.

I've noticed before with one or two Americans that they want only
'perfect piste' to ski on, and while I can enjoy that as well I'd be
very bored if all pistes in all resorts were the same.

My only complaint with Swiss ski resorts (though it is a biggie) is that black
runs seem to be just steep reds, and groomed as well, and real blacks, the
sort that make my knees quiver, are often itineraires; not patrolled. Worrying
if you're skiing alone.

Whaaat? You've never come to Engelberg, have you? As generalisations
gom this one is about as meaningless as the other. Our reds here are
generally steeper than many blacks in other resorts. Champ commented a
couple of years ago, after he'd joined us on a Ski Club Holiday that I
was leading in Zermatt, that the black runs we were skiing there
weren't erally that steep. He failed to convince some of the other
members on the trip, but then when we'd driven back here on the
Saturday and we were skiing around some of the reds he stopped me and
said "Now you can't tell me that this isn't steeper than anything we
skied last week". And he was right, it was.

Today I was trying to improve my telemark technique on the couple of
those same reds which are now open, but I realised that with the soft
wet snow mogulling up as well as the steepness, it was far from ideal
for that. Tomorrow I'll be on fixed-heels :-0
--
Ace
Prime Ski School, Engelberg, CH
Old November 16th 13, 04:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 22:55:00 +0000 (UTC), "Noumenon"
wrote:

Mike Clark wrote:

If you're after groomed pistes then I'd definitely recommend Italy and
if you are also prepared to ski at lunch time or in inclement weather
you'll have those groomed pistes virtually all to yourself!

Well, but that's what Cervina (on Italian side) is for. Unfortunately ski
lifts over there are terribly slow, everybody complains.

Actually, they're mostly pretty good these days. Lots of new and
improved lifts over the last ten years. The only place you still get
problems on a busy day is getting back from Valtournenche - took about
an hour of queing on two lifts there one time, and in the end we had
to forego our lunch stop in an effort to get back over to Zermatt
before the lifts closed!

Old November 17th 13, 10:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PipL

wrote:

The main problem with slopes is that Swiss are a bit lazy in that respect and
they don't groom slopes well (not like Italians or Austrians), not even half
of what they normally should be grooming in order to make piste skiing good...

I'm surprised. I went there last winter and the grooming was fine.

Indeed, but to generalise that _all_ Swiss resorts are good, bad or
indifferent in their grooming is a nonsense. They will vary
tremendously, with weather, location, snow depths, as well as local
preferences. Some places (think of Flaine, which I know you know well)
deliberately leave some pistes ungroomed on alternate daysbecause
that's what people want.

Oh, it's alternate days, is it? I remember doing one once, then coming back
the next day and finding it pisted.

I've noticed before with one or two Americans that they want only
'perfect piste' to ski on, and while I can enjoy that as well I'd be
very bored if all pistes in all resorts were the same.

My only complaint with Swiss ski resorts (though it is a biggie) is that black
runs seem to be just steep reds, and groomed as well, and real blacks, the
sort that make my knees quiver, are often itineraires; not patrolled. Worrying
if you're skiing alone.

Whaaat? You've never come to Engelberg, have you? As generalisations
gom this one is about as meaningless as the other.

Um. OK, only two, now I come to think of it. Zermatt and Verbier, but they're
the only ones I've visited in recent years. I've tended to avoid Switzerland
due to the cost, travel, and they don't use Euros, though cost difference
might not really be that huge.

Today I was trying to improve my telemark technique

Now that's jsut showing off. PLus-fours, Lycra leggings and all?

--

Pip

Old November 18th 13, 01:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 22:58:35 +0000, PipL wrote:

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 17:39:28 +0100, Ace wrote:

Whaaat? You've never come to Engelberg, have you? As generalisations
gom this one is about as meaningless as the other.

Um. OK, only two, now I come to think of it. Zermatt and Verbier, but they're
the only ones I've visited in recent years. I've tended to avoid Switzerland
due to the cost, travel, and they don't use Euros, though cost difference
might not really be that huge.

Exchange rates in recent years of around 1.2chf/eu have kept the euro
countries cheaper in comparative terms. Italy and Austria in
particular. France is almost as expensive as CH if you go to the
popular resorts, particularly the restaurant prices.

Today I was trying to improve my telemark technique

Now that's jsut showing off. PLus-fours, Lycra leggings and all?

You don't get around much these days, do you? Nowadays the tele scene
tends to be gnarly scandie dudes with bright coloured onesies, hugely
fat skis and an attitude to match.
Old November 18th 13, 03:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
David B

"Ace" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

.......or less:
http://wakpaper.com/large/Skiing_wallpapers_34.jpg

)

Old November 23rd 13, 02:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Noumenon

David B wrote:

......or less:
http://wakpaper.com/large/Skiing_wallpapers_34.jpg

Looks rather inspiring.

But one can hardly find young and beautiful things in skimpy bikinis
skiing like this on European resorts. Alas!

-= NoumenoN =-
Old November 23rd 13, 06:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 14:42:01 +0000 (UTC), "NoumenoN"
wrote:

David B wrote:

......or less:
http://wakpaper.com/large/Skiing_wallpapers_34.jpg

Looks rather inspiring.

But one can hardly find young and beautiful things in skimpy bikinis
skiing like this on European resorts. Alas!

I'm game if you are...

Old November 24th 13, 11:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Noumenon

Ace wrote:

http://wakpaper.com/large/Skiing_wallpapers_34.jpg
Looks rather inspiring.

But one can hardly find young and beautiful things in skimpy bikinis
skiing like this on European resorts. Alas!

I'm game if you are...

Ehh.. Not sure what you mean.

I'm definitely not going to ski naked: not only it's bloody cold thing for me
to do, I very much doubt it will be sexy or "inspiring" spectacle for others,
more likely quite the opposite...

Not to mention an unhealthy exhibitionism angle in all that.

-= NoumenoN =-
Old November 24th 13, 04:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PipL

wrote:

David B wrote:

......or less:
http://wakpaper.com/large/Skiing_wallpapers_34.jpg

Looks rather inspiring.

But one can hardly find young and beautiful things in skimpy bikinis
skiing like this on European resorts. Alas!

I'm game if you are...

You're neither young nor beautiful. And the thought of you wearing a
bikini....
--

Pip